rockstar

Opening Lines To "champions Of Nothing"

Does anyone know what the sampled voices are saying during the opening of "Champions of Nothing."

the part that goes:

"I hate you"

and then there is something I can't make out

and then

"Love is a strong word"

?

Thanks!

I believe it's the sound of them rewinding the sample and playing it again.

The first sample "Weird here is normal" sounds oddly familiar, but it may just be another recording Matt did with a homeless person.

The others... if I had to guess I'd say they're his ex-wife. Contrasting Love and Hate... the inability to say Love because it's "a strong word", yet she has no problem saying "I Hate You".

The "Try again" thing is from a payphone.

Edited by haircut-rabbit

Guest Prosis

I don't understand what they say either, but the way I understand it, it's a warning to his ex-wife: be careful what you say because love is a strong word.

Of course that's just a theory

Guest Prosis

It's actually a mix of "Love is a strong word" and another thing I can't figure out.

I have a wav of the actual thing backwards but I can't upload it because it's 1.27 MG and I'm only allowed 400k.

I remember screwing around with a recording program with a couple of my old bandmates and recording stuff, reversing it, then trying to record us saying the reversed sounds so we could reverse those and see if it came out forwards. Words backwards sound nothing like they do forwards.

[EDIT]

Prosis, if you email me that file, I can upload it to my putfile account for us all to scrutinize.

Edited by AnOceanPearl

I remember screwing around with a recording program with a couple of my old bandmates and recording stuff, reversing it, then trying to record us saying the reversed sounds so we could reverse those and see if it came out forwards. Words backwards sound nothing like they do forwards.

[EDIT]

Prosis, if you email me that file, I can upload it to my putfile account for us all to scrutinize.

Radiohead does something like this on "Like Spinning Plates"

Guest Prosis

You have been well informed lol ;)

As far as yousendit and whatnot, I don't want to bother opening an account for one file :angry: