sodamntired

Do You Believe In God?

God?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. God?

• yes
    • yes, and I'm an asshole who will post a condescending remark saying those who do not are going to burn in hell, while i'm partying with Jesus in heaven
    • no
    • no, and I'm an asshole who will post a sarcastic remark about how stupid those who do are idiots, thereby feeling good about myself

I feel the same way. For me, if someone asks for my help, I'll gladly give it, but I don't go around saying....smoking is bad for you, or you going to die in hell if you don't let the lord in your heart at this moment. Why do people feel the need to do that? The Catholics should be more embracing of people coming to them for answers instead of forcing it down others throats. (There are other religions that do this as well, so don't think I'm picking on Catholics...that's just the one that came to mind.)

I am Catholic, and we accept anyone who believes in God, because it shows that they know there is a God who is very real. We don't take the idea of religion and force it down the throats of people. That belongs to the Protestants, who broke away from the Catholic Church in 1531, went Luther left, and started the Lutheran Church (even that church does not force religion.

As time went on, ideas of hell, and faith got more radical, and "Billy Sundays" started to force the issue in the late 1800s. I believe that to choose God is based on freewill. You can choose to believe if He is real or not.

I am deeply religious and follow my faith to the letter, but I will not judge anyone if they choose not to believe.

Why is it that whenever someone is talking about god they capitalize every word that represents him, such as "God, He, Him..." We don't do that with anyone else but him. Odd and retarded.

Roman Catholic or Catholic? And yes there IS a difference

Lutheran Church (even that church does not force religion.

when I was confirmed Lutheran, I remember my minister told me, "after you're confirmed, you don't have to go to church THAT often."

i haven't really been back since, but I remain a 'believer'

Why is it that whenever someone is talking about god they capitalize every word that represents him, such as "God, He, Him..." We don't do that with anyone else but him. Odd and retarded.

Roman Catholic or Catholic? And yes there IS a difference

I am Roman Catholic.

I am not here to argue, just say my point of view.

the problem i have with catholicism is that it's too easy. you screw up, just go to confession and you're good again. you don't even have to try to be good. christianity isn't just religious beliefs, it's a lifestyle. when i was religious, they always taught us that how we act says a lot... if you don't want to go around telling people about god, that's your choice, but live by example.

the problem i have with catholicism is that it's too easy. you screw up, just go to confession and you're good again. you don't even have to try to be good. christianity isn't just religious beliefs, it's a lifestyle. when i was religious, they always taught us that how we act says a lot... if you don't want to go around telling people about god, that's your choice, but live by example.

What the, you're not religious anymore?

By Catholicism do you mean the universal Christian faith meaning or the actual difference between Roman Catholic type of Catholic and Protestants (Who believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church)? i.e. the Nicene Creed

Because if it's the latter meaning, then it's, by definition the same, only instead of going to confession you pray for forgiveness. So, what then, is the difference between Catholics having it easy and protestants having more tribulation in their faiths to overcome?

I might just be confused at what you meant, but both, it appears to me, is fairly easy. You can feign being sorry for your signs to a priest, or you can just ask God for forgiveness through prayer, either way there is no material evidence that prayer or confession will absolve sins, so whats the difference?

Edited by supercanuk

i did mean the latter,but the difference to me between the catholic way of doing things and the protestant way is that catholics do what they want and when they feel guilty enough, they'll go to confession. protestants try not to do stuff in the first place and if they have a moment of weakness, they'll pray over it.

Is there really a differnce between praying and confession? Are you doing either because you truly feel sorry for what you've done, or because you're afriad that if you don't you'll rot in hell? And, forgive me for not knowing, but do protestants believe in hell?

My point being, if you've done something you regret, are you really sorry about it, or do you regret it because of the consequences?

Is there really a differnce between praying and confession? Are you doing either because you truly feel sorry for what you've done, or because you're afriad that if you don't you'll rot in hell? And, forgive me for not knowing, but do protestants believe in hell?

My point being, if you've done something you regret, are you really sorry about it, or do you regret it because of the consequences?

I guess it really depends who you are. I know some really different types of Christians, some who definetely believe in hell, others who don't because they feel an all-loving God could not allow someone to be tormented by demons till the end of time. I don't even know where to begin with the logical leaps these people take, but hey, people believe whatever they want.

I guess it really depends who you are. I know some really different types of Christians, some who definetely believe in hell, others who don't because they feel an all-loving God could not allow someone to be tormented by demons till the end of time. I don't even know where to begin with the logical leaps these people take, but hey, people believe whatever they want.

i'm more of the latter than the first.

its not the praying or confession part i have an issue with. its what happens before hand.

and why someone confesses/prays is their own thing.

Well, being raised Catholic, I have to disagree with you. I don't remember doing anything because I 'could' and worrying about the consequences after because I could just go to confession and say a couple of Hail Marys and it be forgiven. I didn't do stuff because it was bad. You shouldn't generalize the whole religion because of a couple of Catholics. But, I'm gripping...I stopped be a Catholic a couple of years ago. Simply for the reasons, I don't think I need a church telling me how to live me life. I feel you should be a good person just because you want to be, not because you're trying to buy your way into heaven, or better yet, trying to buy your way out of hell. But, from most of the religions I've seen that believe in both heaven and hell, that's how it seems. Not many people do things just because it's a good thing to do, they do it because of what they may or may not get in return.

I feel you should be a good person just because you want to be, not because you're trying to buy your way into heaven, or better yet, trying to buy your way out of hell. But, from most of the religions I've seen that believe in both heaven and hell, that's how it seems. Not many people do things just because it's a good thing to do, they do it because of what they may or may not get in return.

That about sums up my opinion on organized religions.

I am Catholic, and we accept anyone who believes in God, because it shows that they know there is a God who is very real. We don't take the idea of religion and force it down the throats of people. That belongs to the Protestants, who broke away from the Catholic Church in 1531, went Luther left, and started the Lutheran Church (even that church does not force religion.

As time went on, ideas of hell, and faith got more radical, and "Billy Sundays" started to force the issue in the late 1800s. I believe that to choose God is based on freewill. You can choose to believe if He is real or not.

I am deeply religious and follow my faith to the letter, but I will not judge anyone if they choose not to believe.

If you're gonna try to assert some sort of moral superiority for Catholicism, you're gonna have to disgregard a few centuries of history and what not.

The 'Billy Sundays' as you so called them, seemed to force their will a long time before the 1800's, something that I refer to as The Crusades, when a lot of people where killed because the didn't believe in god. That's not forcing your will? So, if I kill someone in the name of god, it's not wrong?

no material evidence that prayer or confession will absolve sins, so whats the difference?

There's material evidence that there is such a thing as "sins"?

Also...SuperCanuk...where the hell were you Friday night fool? And have you read The God Delusion yet, I know you'd enjoy it immensely.

I am Roman Catholic.

Fair enough.

There's material evidence that there is such a thing as "sins"?

Also...SuperCanuk...where the hell were you Friday night fool? And have you read The God Delusion yet, I know you'd enjoy it immensely.

I am Roman Catholic.

Fair enough.

I believe in magic ;)

haha

Yes, the friday night guys night that I missed. Sorry about that, I didn't have my cell phone with me,i noticed you messaged me earlier, I had to get up early the next morning to go out of town for a wedding. I likely would have been too tired even If i got the message to go, sorry man :S. I miss you crazy kids, we need to get together SOON. Not just oh yah we'll get together, but actually make some plans, such as maybe thrusday night, or next monday or something?

I haven't read the God Delusion, however, I don't think I will. I have watched tons of Dawkins stuff and, to put it mildly im already on his "side" if you will. I might read it down the road for kicks, but right now I have a plate of other books high on the reading list.

haha and no, theres no material evidence that anything called a "sin" exists. Only the in minds of some.

bahahaha sorry the advertisement at the bottom says "The Dark History of the Church - 7 Great Myths of Organized Religion."

Yea, on August 10th you need to come to my place bud! Well we might move the party to my girlfriends, she has a pool heh, depending on other people.

bahahaha sorry the advertisement at the bottom says "The Dark History of the Church - 7 Great Myths of Organized Religion."

Yea, on August 10th you need to come to my place bud! Well we might move the party to my girlfriends, she has a pool heh, depending on other people.

Cool, i will need directions to her hizouce.