sodamntired

Do You Believe In God?

God?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. God?

• yes
    • yes, and I'm an asshole who will post a condescending remark saying those who do not are going to burn in hell, while i'm partying with Jesus in heaven
    • no
    • no, and I'm an asshole who will post a sarcastic remark about how stupid those who do are idiots, thereby feeling good about myself

simple question.

the whole damn bored has been really dead lately, we need something exciting.

i bet this will be a thread that will go on for a while, with full paragraph responses.

and it was either this thread, or a topic on abortion. God won.

Edited by sodamntired

i think the problem is that some people confuse believing in god with participating in organized religion.

at any rate, adam isn't here to stubbornly argue against god not matter what people say or do. so perhaps the fate of this thread will be shorter than originally thought.

i think the problem is that some people confuse believing in god with participating in organized religion.

at any rate, adam isn't here to stubbornly argue against god not matter what people say or do. so perhaps the fate of this thread will be shorter than originally thought.

don't worry. when it comes to god, I will argue. and I'm not confusing god with the participating in organized religion.

i started this thread and i should my opinion.

i believe in God, but I don't use the word "Believe" because you can Believe in Santa and The Easter Bunny, like Tim said.

it's deeper on a level that I can't explain. i'm not even comfortable with saying There IS a God. because i won't even truly know God until after I leave this mortal plane.

i'm not a fan of organized religion. i don't even like people praying near me or coming up to me and saying, "Jesus loves you!"

I don't know, and nobody else does either. I simply choose to be on the side of there being a "higher power" no matter what you want to call it.

either i die and there is God/Jesus/Mohammed greeting me to a better place, or there is absolutely nothing...and if that's the case, it won't really bother me...being that i'm dead and the dead don't really have feelings anymore.

I'd like to think that there is something after this life, because just to have everything you have done and experience to be extinguished in a snap of a moment, it kind of doesn't really give living this life any real meaning as I see it.

my rambling....it makes sense to me.

Edited by sodamntired

i think that its hard for anyone to argue about god with any degree of certainty. okay, you're set in your ways, you have your proof he doesn't exist, but have to died yet? probably not.

I have no proof that he doesn't exist. but more importantly, I have no proof that he does exist.

I've yet to see a single piece of evidence that says he does exist that isn't based on someone else's faith

it is possible to like an band or artist that has different religious beliefs than you. that said, what do you believe, ryan?

I believe in myself, i'm kinda like my own religion and faith. Since i've found there are certain people that can be trusted, but relying on anyone but yourself and immediate family can be foolish. I used to believe in other people, but that's an easy way to get hurt.

Faith in something that doesn't exist doesn't do anything for me. I live in the now and look straight ahead.

no, but i envy those who can, sometimes.

This just about sums up my feelings on the topic.

There are points in time that i really wish there were an afterlife, i don't really want my party to end. That said, i'd rather not exist then live for eternity in senility.

I voted no, but I really don't feel like writing a page right now as to why I don't. I'll wait until some bible thumper posts something retarded about John 3:15 or some shit, and then post some meaningful rebutle.

Nah, probably not. Back in the old days, I used to love to go into church chat rooms and start random arguements with people. The fun seemed to wear off rather quickly, because they always seemed to quote the same damn verse from the book. Nobody was really thinking for themselves, and that's a shame. Just because it's written in the bible, don't make it true. Hell, I could write a book now and have some morons quoting it in 2000 years too, but that doesn't mean it's real.

If anyone on this Bored was a bible thumper, I highly doubt they'd be posting any rants in the (probably correct) assumption that they'd be attacked by faithless nihilists who have nothing better to do than to rag on someone else's beliefs.

William James offered his theory of pragmatism in regards to faith, and I believe it's the best theory out there.

If you believe something to be true, then it works.

I believe there's someone watching over us, be it God or something else we're not meant to know about. I believe we're not alone in shaping what happens in our lives, be it good or bad.

I'm not trying to be defensive, I was just commenting on the fact that not every who doesn't believe in God is faithless...they just chose to put that faith else where. Unfortunetly, the word faith has become so intwined with religion, that if you don't practice a particular religion, then you apperently don't have faith...which is a quite ridiculous arguement.

Edited by matrix

Absolutely not. Not in any way, shape, or form. Never have, never will.

I don't care what other people believe if they keep it to themselves.

If you bring up your religion to me, expect fierce debate; but i will not be the one to bring it up first.