Dan #3

More Raping Of Brilliance

Eoin Colfer to write new Hitchhiker's Guide.

Okay, first off; no. That's wrong, Douglas Adams is dead. Secondly; no. The fact that there wasn't a clear "ending" to the books fits perfectly within the series' mythos. Third of all; no. Make your own shit up, don't regurgitate something that is demeaned by being revisited.

Edited by Dan #3

:angry:

When I first read the title, I thought it was reporting someone had started writing a screen adaptation to Restaurant at the End of the Universe...and because the first movie wasn't a complete masterpiece, I thought it was a little odd that they're deciding to do a second movie.

Now that I've read the piece, I think I'm just going to take the safe route and sit on the fence until it comes out. Blasphemous, yes, (when someone dies, it's OK to finish up some almost completed projects, but to start something new entirely?) but I'm always willing to give some kind of benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove.

This guy better do good.

(PS: this is the second time this week the Hitchhiker's Guide has been brought up in some kind of conversation...I think it's time for my annual re-read. ;))

Edited by MissEmily

I actually really enjoyed the recent film adaptation, regardless on it's inconsistencies with the book. I just put the book out of mind and enjoyed the movie for being a movie. We'll never see any other of the books in film form any time soon as Hitchhiker's kinda tanked at the theaters.

I loved the movie. I couldn't understand why it did so poorly, it was hysterical. In some cases bringing in a writer to carry on a deceased writer's legacy is okay...but Hitchhiker's is such a unique thing, it would be hard to duplicate the feel that Adams had for his characters and his humor.

I really enjoyed both the book and the movie. When it comes to film adaptations, obviously there are going to be inconsistencies, but keep in mind that Douglas Adams DID help to write the screenplay.

In terms of the new book, I'll give it a chance, but like Charles said, it'll be hard for the new author to capture the feel of the characters I think.

Read the whole book series and even some semi unrelated ones by Adams. I don't see how they can top his work or even come close to it.

I have the series in one lovely large hardcover. While I enjoy the series, it's not important enough to me to scoff at someone taking a stab at continuing it. Now, if it was the Ender's Game series, I'd be up in arms...