sodamntired

Who Is Your Hero?

who inspires you to get your ass out of bed, and go out there, and try to accomplish something?

I remember in the 6th grade, I got selected to write about heroes, I diidn't know any better, I think I said Spider-man, cause he goes out and fights crime, even though he is considered a criminal, and my dad, who does the same, except not really.

Walter Bruening could inspire someone

cause he's so fucking old. but seriously, who inspires you?

I am sort of inspired by Barack Hussein Obama, even though he's a muslim and he wants to kill Walter, *sarcasm off* an african american can become president. anyone can become president, which is why I am getting out of the shit hole that is Fargo.

*open discussion......starts......now!*

i don't really feel i have a hero/inspiration unless i just read/watched/heard something inspiring. like reading ginsberg. sexy and the city inspires me to be fabulous, while my parents are my heroes because they taught me the actual value of materiality. so forth and so on.

Don't really have one, nor have I ever. I was asked to write about my hero in grade 4 it was all BS. I've just never been 'inspired' by a single person, but I do respect those who hold that position in others eyes. They're doing something right, eh?

you've never been inspired by anyone? i think thats bullshit. maybe you can't trace it back to exactly the time and the place, but you saw/heard/read something that changed your life.

i have no beef with jim morrison being someone's hero, i just don't know why. he sang awesome rock and roll, but he drank too much, had a sex addiction and ultimately killed himself via drugs. he was really badass though.

Probably not as 'hero'-esque as the selections above me, but mine is Alex Turner. He's my age, has already written 4 number albums, and he doesn't seem like the typical douchebag rock star. Plus he fronts my favourite band and in my eyes, everything he's ever touched has been gold. He's well on his way to becoming one of the greats.

Gandhi is pretty fucking awesome.

The Dalai Lama, cuz he's such a down-to-earth guy with messages of peace.

Even though i'm not that religious and he may or may not have existed, i'm inspired by many of the words/lessons of Jesus Christ.

Those are 3 individuals who have been oppressed in different ways, have had violence put onto them, yet remain dedicated to peace towards their fellow man.

I also like Jesse Ventura cuz he's the only politician who says it like it is (whether u agree or not).

James Hetfield is probably the coolest person in the world, and he and Kirk Hammett are my uber gods of guitar that have hugely inspired my playing.

my dad. after 2 strokes and a heart attack and 2 years in a bed, he refuses to give up as long as his mind is still working. every day that he can think about and love me, my sister and his grand-daughter is a good day and despite being bed-ridden, there is nothing else he'd rather have than us. that takes balls.

idolizing rock stars is bullshit.

Edited by saturnine

my dad. after 2 strokes and a heart attack and 2 years in a bed, he refuses to give up as long as his mind is still working. every day that he can think about and love me, my sister and his grand-daughter is a good day and despite being bed-ridden, there is nothing else he'd rather have than us. that takes balls.

you almost made my eyeballs sweat. i feel the same way about my mom. she had a tumor the size of her fist cut out of her guts in july and she's been on chemo ever since, but she fucking handles that shit like it ain't nothin. she might be a mess inside, but you'd never know it by looking at or talking with her. she's nothing but positive about the whole thing and has been since day one. i do not for the life of me understand how she does it.

idolatry and being inspired by someone are two very different things. your inspiration isn't any less "bullshit" just because it comes from your father. don't expect anyone to care about who your hero is or what he has done if you're going to belittle everyone else's experience.

at this point in my life, dave eggers is probably my biggest inspiration. the vast amount of work that he has is alone impressive, but quality and integrity of that work goes above and beyond simply being a lofty number. he approaches his writing with a style of openness and humour that i envy and can only hope to some day match. what he does with his time is the sort of proof-in-the-pudding that encourages me to practice whatever it is that i preach. anyone who has heard of or seen the 826 National program in action can attest to eggers' achievements and his ability to inspire.

you've never been inspired by anyone? i think thats bullshit. maybe you can't trace it back to exactly the time and the place, but you saw/heard/read something that changed your life.

i have no beef with jim morrison being someone's hero, i just don't know why. he sang awesome rock and roll, but he drank too much, had a sex addiction and ultimately killed himself via drugs. he was really badass though.

I put my father and grandfather for the same reasons that Mrs. Jesus and Saturnine mention their mom and dad respectively. They both faced such serious circumstances with all the determination they could muster, and focused so much of their energy on the people they loved until they couldn't fight anymore.

My prayers are with your families.

George S. Patton - because he was a flamboyant Genius.

Jim Morrison, not because of his excess, but because of the vision in his writing. It was just so far out there, it connected with me.

I forgot to add Yukio Mishima though, his writing connects with me, and inspires me in so many ways. He could paint a vibrant canvass with words...

Edited by bishopx