Do you agree  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree

• yes
    • yes

Emo is not a word. It is not a genre of music. It has no meaning that cannot be more easily and concisely expressed using real words. There is essentially no type of music which does not reference emotions in some way, or set out to stimulate emotions in the listener. The poll is, of course, intentionally stacked, irrelevant, and is a perfect example of the idiocy I speak of when I talk about how annoying this 'emo' hatred fad thing is getting.

Define it as whatever you want. Love it or hate it as you see fit. Don't think about it. Ignore it. Forget it. Sit around at home and whine to your stuffed animals about how much you dislike something that doesn't tangibly exist. Just stop spending all your free time COMPLAINING ON THE INTERNET to a legion of like-minded cretins, and attempting to slam those who disagree. You people may not have noticed, but you don't see alot of 'Emo is great' threads. Why? Because those who like 'it' as it is typically defined, don't care about your opinion, and don't generally define what they listen to as 'Emo'. And the rest of us don't care about anything except the fact that you won't shut up.

This rant is brought to you by spare time, caffeine, and a crippled PC - operated by an inherently angry music lover. Terms such as 'you' and 'you people' refer to the general populace who choose to actively and outspokenly hate the non-concept of 'Emo' despite the pleas of the author for some shred of sanity. Wake up, clowns.

Edited by Sparq

No. Let's not define Emo ever again.

It's a purely personal definition, and any attempts at a group consensus will only end in violence.

Here's a Wikipedia Link if you really want some sort of definition.

After reading the Wikipedia article, I have passed judgment.

Trying to categoricly put down or support all of the bands sheltering unfer the "emo" genre is stupid.

Note: my opinion has been shaped by the music that I have heard and the people that I know.

To clarify, I am refering to the "3rd wave" emo scene.

I don't realy like emo music.

I don't like the MUSIC. I'm just not realy a big fan of mtv pedigree pop-rock. I actualy don't mind Jimmy eat World, Weezer, or Billy Talent. They are not by any means my favourite bands, or even particularely interesting to me.

As for the people...

I know someone eho is a huge MCR fan, and she has not made a favourable impression. She enjoys taking pictures of herslef crying, pouting and applying black makeup. She indiscriminatly hates all authority figures and teachers, and whines about how no one understands her.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems to me that a lot of commercial "emo" is geared towards perfectly average teenagers who don't seem understand that confusion and violent moodswings are all part of being a teenager.

wow, ok I kinda lost my train of thought there, anyways...

I think most of the criticism against emo music is silly, like the "wimpish" and and "homo" insults. That said, in my own personal opinion, I dont think it's a particularily interesting genre.

(I realize I'm contradicting myself by generlazing)

As for the people...

I know someone eho is a huge MCR fan, and she has not made a favourable impression. She enjoys taking pictures of herslef crying, pouting and applying black makeup. She indiscriminatly hates all authority figures and teachers, and whines about how no one understands her.

You can't judge a band by it's fan base.

I love my chemical romance and i am the total opposite as her.

And look at how many complete idiots we have on a Matthew Good message board. Are we going to equate MG with idiots now?

For the most part, emo music isn't marketed, it's too underground. There hasn't been one huge emo band yet. It just so happens a lot of emo fans are douches.

As for the people...

You can't judge a band by it's fan base.

I love my chemical romance and i am the total opposite as her.

And look at how many complete idiots we have on a Matthew Good message board. Are we going to equate MG with idiots now?

For the most part, emo music isn't marketed, it's too underground. There hasn't been one huge emo band yet. It just so happens a lot of emo fans are douches.

HAH HAH HAh, sweet deal! Straight up Homeslice.

Werdd.

I don't think you can say a genre sucks, thats like saying jazz or even hiphop sucks, which I don't particularly like but then their are bands like public enemy that change things, there are some good "emo" bands. Weezer's "Pinkerton" can be classified as an emo record and I think that was one of the best records of the 90's.