Shiri

The Oscars

What do you think about it? Do you agree with the winners or think someone else should have won?

Personally, I was very glad that Crash won and not Brokeback Mountain. Brokeback is an okay movie, definitely not breathtaking or stunning and it was so hyped that I'm kind of glad it failed ;)

Anyway, discuss!

the show was lame, but i did like the winners. i love reese witherspoon and i knew she was going to win. i knew that philip seymore hoffman was going to win because he's an established actor over umm..what's his name. i was very glad that crash one, it's a brilliant movie. i think it is directed towards more people then brokeback mountain was. i didn't bother seeing brokeback because it doesn't interest me. but as a whole crash, more people can relate to it and there for it was a much better win. a few years down the line, people will remember crash, whereas, i dont' think brokeback will be remembered.

John Stewart was the host and he was hillarious.

Easily the most entertaining Oscars i have seen.

And I agree with Crash winning over Brokeback. Much better movie.

and don't forget "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp" winning best song. That was the dopest/illest/freshest thing to happen to the oscars in a long time.

wow...i am so white.

i knew that philip seymore hoffman was going to win because he's an established actor over umm..what's his name.

I don't know if this was who you were refering to but, I think Joaquin Phoenix is a fairly established actor. I really think either

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
him or Heath Ledger
should've won. Isn't he fairly established too?

I'm glad Crash won three, but, I think Dillion should have won Best Supporting Actor, and Haggis should have won best director over Ang Lee. However, the song from Crash should have won because the Dolly Parton song was meh, and I wasn't too impressed with the rap song either. Where as the Crash tune was pretty good even though it's not really my style either. However, beyond that I think it was pretty good, and I too was glad the Brokeback failed because even though I didn't see it, I suspect it wouldn't have won for anything other than it's subject matter not because the story was any good or anything.

i knew that philip seymore hoffman was going to win because he's an established actor over umm..what's his name.

I don't know if this was who you were refering to but, I think Joaquin Phoenix is a fairly established actor. I really think either

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
him or Heath Ledger
should've won. Isn't he fairly established too?

yeah, i was thinking him...

i totally fogort about juaquin phoenix. i think he got overshadowed by reese.

but i love reese...

well, reese is genuine.

philip seymore hoffman was in boogie nights, cold mountain, magnolia, red dragon, almost famous, etc.

jesus, he was! that is the sign of a good actor, right there. I've seen almost all of those and the only thing I ever noticed him in was twister and the big lebowski.

People have been saying that Jon Stewart wasn't all that funny, but I would have to disagree. It's true that the audience didn't seem to care for him, but that's because he was making fun of them for most of the ceremony. Not one of those celebrities has a sense of humor about themselves.

I think you are right, even though I didn't find Stewart funny. I laughed my ass off at Ben Stiller's bit, but no one in the audience did. When he said, "This is blowing Spielberg's mind!", they panned over to him and he very dryly mouthed, "No it isn't." Hollywood has the personality of a roof shingle.

Nothing is more pretentious than waxing philosphical over what is and what isn't art. Did anyone else notice that every other winner started their acceptance speech with a little rant about art? Boo-urns.

I found most of Jon's bits to be funny and I think he'll be doing the Oscars again. Also, the Pimp song didn't really seem like it was better than the other two songs.

And for those of you who missed it...

Oscar Nominees

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Philip Seymour Hoffman in

He's just quoting Matthew Good, and really Matthew Good isn't all that right on this.

Seriously, though, give me an objective reason why Crash is the best picture of 2005.

You can't.

i'll give you one as soon as you give me the reason why Brokeback should have one.