the more i listen, the more i realize that this album has more to offer than frances the mute... not in terms of it being better or worse, but just musically this album varies a lot more than it's predecessor (quite possibly because it goes a full 76 minutes).

Frances did not? I was under the impression that they had to leave out the title track (which is great, by the way) because they ran out of space on the cd. I think they might've fit it in if they'd used less of the filler between tracks, which can get annoying. I usually skip through it anyway. How come they never use 80 minute cds for commercial releases?

Really looking forward to hearing Amputechture, I'm getting it on Saturday.

the more i listen, the more i realize that this album has more to offer than frances the mute... not in terms of it being better or worse, but just musically this album varies a lot more than it's predecessor (quite possibly because it goes a full 76 minutes).

Frances did not? I was under the impression that they had to leave out the title track (which is great, by the way) because they ran out of space on the cd. I think they might've fit it in if they'd used less of the filler between tracks, which can get annoying. I usually skip through it anyway. How come they never use 80 minute cds for commercial releases?

Really looking forward to hearing Amputechture, I'm getting it on Saturday.

Yeah I think he meant that there isn't any wasting of time with interludes between the tracks like on Frances. Never really thought of it but yeah, Amputechture goes the whole way without really going into nothingness.

While I say that, I still like Frances The Mute the most.

So I saw the mars volta last night at the ACC, and they were not all that good. For one thing, Cedric was sick. Day of the baphomets sounded like it was played underwater , there were also some serious sound issues (massive high pitched piercing from the flute = death to ears) and viscera eyes was pretty botched.

the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the other hand were friggin amazing. Their 15 minute jam to close the encore was the closest to perfect musical bliss I've ever seen.

:S

Well, I love the new album more than the first two, at least. Some amazing songs on it, I can actually listen to the whole thing through every time without feeling the need to skip or search through anything. I love the melodies, percussion, and the even more latin flavor of the whole album. And the guitars remind me of both Page and Hendrix... amazing. I also really like the lyrics, they seem to stick in my mind more. I especially love:

Vicarious Atonement, really great intro song, with awesome guitars and some really good, memorable lyrics.

Tetragrammaton, I love the guitar melody starting at 1:11.

Meccamputechture, perhaps the climax of the album, the bass groove, steady beat, cool drum (and guitar) solos, effects, everything about the percussion, and horn outro. Very nice.

Asilos Magdalena, I was pleasantly shocked to find an acoustic guitar piece on a Mars Volta album. I also like that it's sung entirely in Spanish.

Viscera Eyes, definitely my favorite on the album. The MySpace preview didn't do it justice. From the Radiohead-like electronics in the intro, to the steady guitar groove, latin sounds, and slowly building sound, awesome breakdown, guitar solo and ending, and some of their best lyrics to date. "Let me let comfort come drown by your side" "She's falling, she's still falling, no one wants to come, she's crawling, she's still crawling, on your burial ground"

Day of the Baphomets, love the breakdown at 9:35 and awesome latin drum solo.

Overall, a really great album that doesn't disappoint at all. In fact, it far surpassed my expectations.