Matt

The Nhl

So, I'm sure many of us know that the NHL isn't doing so well in the States this year. I was wondering if in five years time if only the Canadian teams were left because the American teams went into bankruptcy, would that be such a bad thing? I mean it seems like the NHL has been trying forever to make it an American thing and it's not, it's like the CFL expansion into the States, it just isn't theirs, it's Canadian.

I didn't think it was doing that bad in the US.

I know a few stadiums weren't being filled because of the shittiness of the teams ie. St Louis.

Edit: There are probably more fans in the american arenas then at the ACC...just fucking businessmen in my opinion.

Edited by shade

I was wondering if in five years time if only the Canadian teams were left because the American teams went into bankruptcy, would that be such a bad thing?

NO it wouldn't be a bad thing. it would make the league 5 times better (literally) in concentration of talent.

not all of the american teams are having major troubles. there are a number of successful organizations (detroit,dallas,new jersey,new york,colorado) etc.

I find the new NHL less entertaining, personally, i haven't watched hardly any games this year

I didn't think it was doing that bad in the US.

I know a few stadiums weren't being filled because of the shittiness of the teams ie. St Louis.

Edit: There are probably more fans in the american arenas then at the ACC...just fucking businessmen in my opinion.

Some of the best teams State side though are having troubles filling up their stadiums. Even if it got down to six or seven American teams vs six or seven Canadian teams it would be better since then it would for one be more fair to Canada who adores hockey far more than the States.

If you think of it in nationalist terms, it makes sense to leave it just for Canada--but from the perspective that every person should have the opportunity to share your love of hockey, then it just seems cruel to want to do away with any team.

Edited by NotFromOklahoma

i think for now the league is fine as it is. expanding (again) within the next few years wouldn't be the best idea, though. i think 30 teams is enough.

and in a few years if some teams are flailing, i would not be opposed to a contraction- but keep the league at least 20 teams large.

and in a few years if some teams are flailing, i would not be opposed to a contraction- but keep the league at least 20 teams large.

In that event, I'd rather see franchises just move than disappear completely. There are plenty of loyal hockey markets that don't have an NHL franchise now (like Hartford.)

In that event, I'd rather see franchises just move than disappear completely.  There are plenty of loyal hockey markets that don't have an NHL franchise now (like Hartford.)

true, that would be a better idea. Hartford has been hurting for a team other than their AHL Wolfpack. there was some recent talk about a franchise somehow popping up around St. Catharines Ontario- there's another candidate city for a team that doesn't feel financially welcome somewhere.

of course, any town looking to woo a team in would need a fancy new arena.

Edited by cweb

there are a few teams doing poorly as far as attendance goees, but if you look at the numbers... atlanta, colorado, detroit, new york rangers, and dallas have had consecutive sell outs for something like the past 5 years. both the thrashers and the minnesota wild have sold out every single game since their inception into the league.

hockey fans are still filling the seats, and supporting their teams -- the real problem stems from the tv contracts... or lack thereof. and this is where the real money is. most organizations are turning a profit, but the actual governing body isnt getting the national tv deals that it needs to "look" successful. apparently "design on a dime" outranked the nhl all star game in viewers. mind you, the all star game was broadcast on a cable network on a wednesday evening.

its all a matter if the citys team is doin good or not, for the most part though i mean there are citys that are more passionate about hockey than others. But 4 years ago when the sabres sucked, the arena would be half filled. Now its damn impossible to get tickets unless you pay 3 times as much from some guy sellin em on the street like i did...and it was against florida to, they are such an attraction

i ususaly follow hockey but havent had much time for it this year...whats up with it???let me know

The Hurricanes are leading the league with a perfect record. Dave Lewis and Lindy Ruff somehow managed to shave each other's mustaches during a coach-fight. The NHL won a hefty TV contract that'll air a hockey game every night on NBC.