beerman37

Philly Show

That lady was a total spoilsport. Ugh... she really brought the whole thing down. You could tell he was rundown and not in the best mood, but he really was having a good go of it, joking around and playing some good songs (I think the gin and tonic thing was supposed to be a joke).

I feel bad about it because I've seen him a bunch of times over the past few years and have never seen him get so annoyed with anyone. Usually he'll ignore a heckler, but she was front and center yelling odd things at him the whole show (something about his panties, if I recall, and then the "shut up and sing" comment...).

In happier news, I was right up in front again, on the side of the stage. Took this video of "I'm a Window" for your viewing pleasure. I missed the first chorus because I wanted to finish my whiskey. ;)

I forgot all about that. Good lord. Yes she sure did at one point inexplicably ask to see his "panties". How does someone get front and center like that who is supposed to be a "fan"?

Just watched the youtube video. Man, I think I was practically sitting a few seats over from you!

I seriously feel like punching this lady in the face now

Edited by beerman37

Yeah, he sounded fantastic while it lasted...

We really lucked out with our seats. We got there a bit after doors opened (thank you, Brooklyn traffic) and only saw seats in the back, but then discovered the 2 right by the stage (and made new Matt Good friends with the guys sitting next to us).

Besides the bitch and the lack of encore, it was really an amazing night (I was the birthday girl that NLX mentioned a few times).

I would have rather he made a complete asshole out of her to the point where she would have left in embaressment instead of jerking off the other 100 people there by cutting the show short. Yea I know the one bad apple ruins the bunch thing, but it was a disappointing first time seeing him......u know?

I think there was a blog post that day, that has since been deleted, about someone had given out his phone number to some randoms, who had in turn left a bunch of voicemails on his phone, and he wasn't happy about that. If that WAS the same day, then I bet the dumb lady was just pushing his already pushed buttons too far and just wanted the day done and over with.

wow...glad i didn't drive home from pittsburgh to see this debacle. tin angel is a small place(first time beerman?) but really where else could have have gone? the tla is about it that isn't basement style. still old city is nicest part of the city and I can't think of a better more intimate place.

next philly sports fans are passionate, drunk, and hostile. bad isn't the word i'd use. Although throwing snowballs at santa is pretty bitchin' and starting the asshole chant for kerry fraser(hockey) is also very enjoyable as a non philly sports fan. and sorry that the jerks from philly don't use ya'll enough, and hurt your feelings by being meanies : (

other than that...the talking is definitely MG style and it's an integrated part of his experience. the full band shows definitely run longer but definitely cool to see him play that close at home instead of the 10 hour drive to canada.

and dear dumb _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...lady in the front I hope you fall down at the mall tomorrow and skin your knee bad, jerk.

edit: from a fan standpoint I'd be upset that MG didn't encore I mean he's a professional and while he's also a human being and entitled to be salty one can't let 1 shitty guest ruin the night for the rest of the crowd, and if she's that bad just have her tossed. Oh well...

Edited by prototypepariah

It's unfortunate how a bad crowd (or just a selected few) can effect a show. I was at a show in Barrie where people were talking thoughout - Matt actually commented on why people would pay to come in and talk to each other.

Watching that video that someone posted on here recently of Champions of Nothing and the crowd was dead silent just shows respect for the artist and the music.

I've always enjoyed listening to Matt talk. he really should have made that woman look like a jack ass in front of everyone, that would have been great.

For all those going to the Toronto show in May, lets shut up and let him play and/or say whatever what he wants. It is his show after all.

Edited by Vance

I love a silent crowd listening to a song Matt is playing, but I also love a crowd that sings along. That's another kind of respect, and it's incredibly fun.

Seriously, I watch the vids I take of songs like I'm A Window, Tripoli, Born Losers, Load Me Up....those songs are just fun to sing along to...and singing along with Matt Good is even more awesome. Like I said, it's another form of respect. When you have people singing along with songs like Tripoli down at U.S. shows, you know they are real fans.

Also, for all the people who seem to want to heap this on "Philly fans"...for those that were there will know that the opening act girl - who's name I cant recall offhand - actually seem surprsied that there were so many people in the crowd who WERENT from Philly. The asshole woman could just have easily been an asshole woman from Alabama or an asshole woman from California or an asshole woman from Delaware or an asshole Canadian who traveled there to see the show like many in the crowd did. It isnt a stone 100% fact that she was from Philadelphia. This woman does NOT represent "all Philadelphia fans". She was just a astupid ignorant cunt who should have been removed after her constant ignorance. The other 150 or so people in the crowd were very respectful and were having a great time

I wasn't speaking about "Philly fans" at all. Just people in general that can ruin a or take away from a show.

I too sing along with Matt (I find it hard not to). What I hate is people talking - acting like they're in a club and Matt Good is the background music.

Hey Vance - I wasnt singling your post out. If it came across that way i didnt mean it. Just felt the need to clarify since I've heard the fans thing brought up a few times here. It just gets real old real fast after awhile. We still hear the Santa Claus nonsense and that was in 1968. And I'd still take the loud,obnoxious,rude Philly fans who are passionate about their teams because they are starving for a winner any day of the week over lame assed fans like Florida Marlins fans who's team has won 2 World Series but barely draw 10,000 fans a game or Atlanta Braves fans, who were so spoiled because they made the playoffs every year that they couldnt even sell out Playoff games. Talk about lame fans.

And I agree - is there anything more fucking annoying than people who talk during songs at a concert? We go to alof of concerts and at least once a show we have to turn around and give someone a death stare

Gomo - Disgruntled Mets fan, huh? ;)

I understand your complaint... but take it from his point of view, nobody needs that. Why didn't anyone say anything to her, make her stop?

I think after she said the "shut up and sing" comment, the guy who was sitting in the 3rd table groaned and audibly said "Shut the FUCK UP LADY"

"In a world where a man hated Philadelphia and fluke wins (insert action montage here) one man (cut to slo-mo clip of gomo walking in front of fire) took it personally...

Starring the Gomo as Bruce Willis as anyone and the Philly Fanatic as... we're not sure yet. Universal Studios brings you 'Philadelphia II... Electric Boogaloo. And this time it's gayer than ever.'"

is it a fluke the philly PHANATIC (DUHHH!!!!! ) is the best mascot in all of sports?

and a sports hatred of a city is totally fine and enhances the experience for all. when it turns into drunken fights in atlantic city, foxwoods, and every bar in nj it's a little out of hand!!!