calgarydave

Passchendaele

Anyone else gone to see Passchendaele??

Saw it earlier in the week, and have to say it was a pretty awesome movie.

It is about 50/50 love story vs war movie. But it actually provides an great juxtaposition between the parts.

Best movie I've seen this year so far ;)

it looks interesting, because it's a canadian war movie, but it also just looks like a by-the-numbers war movie and happens to be canadian. i'll see it, but i'm not expecting a lot from it.

I felt it was a lot more than a by-the-numbers movie. But sure thats just my opinion. The thing that struck me was, that I knew in my head what the soldiers during the first world war went thru in the trenches. But seeing it was completely different.

Wait... what?

I wasn't aware we had any World War I vets on the board.

No doubt there are any WW1 vets. Heck in 2004 there was only 1 Canadian WW1 vet still alive.

But you read about it what they went thru in books, and hear about it in school. I knew it was tough. But for whatever reason seeing it in the movie just brought a whole new level of realism, and from that appreciation.

I'm noticing that with each passing year as a society we seem to becoming less and less appreciative of the sacrifice that was made for us to be able to enjoy the lives we have, and its movies like this that remind us.

he is older then he seems.

i want to see this movie because it is a Canadian war movie, but then again, it is still a love story.

i wouldnt mind see a Canadian war movie set in Korea, that would be kinda cool.

It was refreshing to see a war movie that had someone else portrayed as the hero.

I remember when I was younger, I watched Memphis Bell with my grandfather (he flew for Atlantic command doing weather scouting and such). I didn't understand it at the time, but he was actually peeved at the movie. Talking with my mother I found out the reasoning, he was pissed at how the movie portrayed the Americans as the giant hero's of the air bombings.

My other grandfather, actually joined the RAF in 1935. He did 2 tours in Africa and another serving as a squadron commander in Britain. He met King George, and was assigned (twice) to drive Winston Churchill around (actually a funny story cause they got lost). Unfortunately my grandfather passed away when I was young, and I never got to full understand what he went thru... One of my big regrets in my life...

Unfortunately I have a differing opinion of this film. To me it really felt like a "Canadian" film in that it was an ambitious undertaking that fell short on several fronts, most notably the sub-par acting. To me it was about what you could expect from what should have been a large-scale, big-budget war film that was ultimately produced for, I believe, roughly $20 million.

Anyway, just thought I'd quickly share my thoughts.

i just don't like the fact that most war movies feel they need to apply a love story side to the movie just to appeal to more people (women, probably). Can't they just have made a proper movie about how terrible this battle actually was... doesn't have to have anything to do with love cause i'm almost positive (been studying history and such for years now) that there wasn't much love going on during those times.