I just started listening to him over the past few weeks and think all his stuff is really musically interesting. He's a really talented multi-instrumentalist and he goes fairly unnoticed these days.

Just wondering whether anyone else is interested?

I think he has 48 states to go to complete his 50 States Project...maybe then he'll move onto our provinces

thought that progect was scrapped after those two albums? maybe i'm mistaken though.

either way, Sufjan is amazing. Saw him in Toronto at his last show and he blew me away. He's made some really interesting music over his years.

Agreed on the genius comment. My cousin got me interested in him after he played a couple of his songs on a radio show. To be honest the man makes a good case for the idea that while quantity doesn't mean quality, it does lead to quality. Overall I'd say I don't like about 3 out of 5 songs I hear from him, but the 4th and 5th ones are just about always genius. Chicago, Detroit lift up your weary head and For the widows in paradise are probably my favorites from what I've heard of the guy so far.

Chicago

Edited by daniel_v

I think he said something about writing and recording 50 or so songs for Illinois and wanted to release it as a double or triple album but sense was talked into him.

Agreed on the genius comment. My cousin got me interested in him after he played a couple of his songs on a radio show. To be honest the man makes a good case for the idea that while quantity doesn't mean quality, it does lead to quality. Overall I'd say I don't like about 3 out of 5 songs I hear from him, but the 4th and 5th ones are just about always genius. Chicago, Detroit lift up your weary head and For the widows in paradise are probably my favorites from what I've heard of the guy so far.

Chicago

An acoustic version of

was what got me into him.

I wouldn't say he's fairly unnoticed... the only thing I dislike about him is his spirituality... but that's not particularly relevant to his music

no, it isn't, and if you listen to rock at all, then you're listening to music ultimately derived from religious hymns.

as for sufjan, i liked illinoise quite a bit, but really hope he doesn't follow through on that every-state plan. it's too gimmicky. you guys should really check out his album year of the rabbit if you haven't yet. totally different from illinoise and really awesome.

I just heard in an interview that he's moving onto Rhode Island and New Jersey next..

He also played on a couple tracks from Boxer by The National which I didn't know til now..ADA and one other one...