Guest Idioteque

Gord Downie

Guest Idioteque

Hello friends.

We have some very tough news to share with you today, and we wish it wasn’t so.

A few months ago, in December, Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

Since then, obviously, he’s endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we’ve been standing by him.

So after 30-some years together as The Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours…

We’ve decided to do another one.

This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us.

What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it’s magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans.

So, we’re going to dig deep, and try to make this our best tour yet.

We hope you can come out and join us this summer – details and dates will be coming this week.

And we sincerely thank all of you, for your continued love and support,

Paul, GordD, Johnny, Rob, GordS

This honestly breaks my heart. I hold Downie up there with Matthew Good, Eddie Vedder, Jeff Buckley, Billy Corgan & many others as some of the greatest rock vocalists to ever exist (Pretty obvious I was born in the 90's haha). Any fan should try & make it to this upcoming tour because it very well could be the last time we get to see The Tragically Hip, praying that's not the case of course.

I had the privilege of seeing them twice, still one of my favourite concert experiences ever. 

13233131_10153543957347478_3108452350683

Really sad news today.  He's one of the most iconic voices of all time, and will be deeply missed.  It's good that they get to do one more tour and go out on top.

I've only seen them once, but it was one of my favourite all-time concerts.  I'm going to try to go if they come around here.

Guest girl

That is a beautiful picture, Tony.

That is incredibly sad news. :(

I had the privilege of seeing them five times in concert. Gord and The Hip always put on an entertaining show. They are one of my favorite bands, right up there with Matthew Good. I will see them perform for sure this summer. It's a done deal.

I remember going to the Word Fest at the Jack Singer in Calgary circa 2001. Gord Downie signed his Coke Machine Glow book for me after his poetry reading. I was acting nervously in an embarrassing way and despite that, he was very kind and gracious to me. He said "It was nice meeting you, (my name). I will never forget that moment. Another great memory for me was The Hip's very intimate performance at a pub called Whiskey in the early 2000's. I received tickets through The Hip Club.

Edited by girl

Growing up near Buffalo I was fortunate to have access to the hip. My father and I rarely spent time together for various reasons and one of the big things we had was the HIp.  We got to see them live in Salamanca, NY a few yrs ago and the show was amazing.  My wife hates going to concerts and the one band (besides Matthew Good actually)  that I got her to see twice was the HIp.   I heard the news this morning as everyone else did and still can't stop thinking about it.  I called my father and we immediately reminisced about our favorite Hip memories.  I am hoping that I can see the band in Buffalo or close by and more importantly that Gord does not suffer.  I am not sure how true it is but I had heard Gord's wife was recently diagnosed with cancer also and that was the meaning behind their new single "In A World Completely Possessed By the Human Mind"    If anyone can confirm that please do and please if you can see the hip do so as it is an experience you will never forget.

Life is short guys life it up and love each other.

Guest Idioteque

I'm glad there is a huge outroar & the media is picking up on it. Scalpers sold out presales & instantly put them on second-hand websites x3 the price.

Disgusting, not only to do this for any concert but knowing the hype around this particular tour, cashing in on Gord's tragedy & supportive fans.

I'm glad there is a huge outroar & the media is picking up on it. Scalpers sold out presales & instantly put them on second-hand websites x3 the price.

Disgusting, not only to do this for any concert but knowing the hype around this particular tour, cashing in on Gord's tragedy & supportive fans.

Somebody needs to do something about this issue.  Ticketmaster doesn't care, because they own StubHub and therefore make even more money off these sales.

I tried to get Blue Jays tickets when they went on sale.  I was on the site at 10:00 AM right at the on sale time, and they were magically already 3/4 sold for every game.  It's a huge issue for any type of event.  I ended up going back on the site a week later and some had opened up, but it's still a scam.

I also managed to get nosebleeders for the first show in Vancouver through the pre-sale. Spent 40 minutes trying. And got paid for it because I did it at work!

Somebody needs to do something about this issue.  Ticketmaster doesn't care, because they own StubHub and therefore make even more money off these sales.

I tried to get Blue Jays tickets when they went on sale.  I was on the site at 10:00 AM right at the on sale time, and they were magically already 3/4 sold for every game.  It's a huge issue for any type of event.  I ended up going back on the site a week later and some had opened up, but it's still a scam.

Ticketmaster doesn't own StubHub, ebay does.

EDIT: Here's an article/interview w/ a StubHub rep from Alan Cross's site: http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/stubhub-behind-scenes-giving-empathetic-liars/

Edited by AnOceanPearl
  • Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

"Due to an overwhelming demand for the Man Machine Poem Tour, we have adjusted the show design in each venue to accommodate more seating. Tickets for the newly released seats will go on sale on Tuesday, June 14 at 10am local time. There is a 2 ticket limit per person."

One last try for anyone who missed out aka me. :(

And I think more might be coming from the initial pre-sale and on-sale, as it appears ticketmaster is retroactively verifying purchases.  When I got my tickets, the QR code for them was available immediately via the ticketmaster app, but now the code is gone and I got a pop up saying they will be delivered at a later date (which is what happened when I ordered Sigur Ros tickets, except, you know, immediately).

Guest Idioteque

I've been able to get a few $50 tickets popping up for the Tuesday show then I realized my credit card expired this month lol... and it's a credit card entry show.

I swear I have 0 luck.

If you need help with that or anything, feel free to let me know... Wouldn't want you to miss out on the chance of experiencing possibly the Hip's last concert tour. They are THAT good. Something not to be missed!

Does anyone happen to have any live Hip Dvd's from after 2004?  I have been trying to set up a B&P  on their message board but no takers so far.  I will gladly pay someone for the discs, shipping, and their time as well.

Guest Idioteque

Aw Girl you're awesome! I'm sure I'll figure out something closer to the concert, as long as scalpers don't get my money I'm happy. 

Foats, I have a few hip dvds but they are pretty easy to get online. It would probably be easier to just buy them yourself brand new no?

That Night In Toronto 2005: $15

https://www.amazon.com/Tragically-Hip-That-Night-Toronto/dp/B000ASDF72/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466046265&sr=8-1&keywords=the+tragically+hip+dvd

Bobcaygeon 2012: $15

https://www.amazon.com/Bobcaygeon-Blu-ray-Tragically-Hip/dp/B009Z94JFE/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466046265&sr=8-3&keywords=the+tragically+hip+dvd

Personally I'd suggest buying "Hipeponymous" which comes with 2 Cds (Greatest Hits) with a dvd of "That Night In Toronto" & a dvd of all their music videos, with additional bonus footage. 

It normally goes from $70-$100 but there's a few on ebay for $30-$40, which is a STEAL.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TRAGICALLY-HIP-Hipeponymous-2CD-2-DVD-Set-Limited-Edition-/142025542937?hash=item211161cd19:g:gW0AAOSwjXRXYKKH