GuitarmanMCS

Fall 2023 Tour

Looks like a few more Ontario dates have rolled out, though nothing west of the GTA so far. Hopefully that changes soon. There's been a few of the more recent MG tours that seem to have been announced in this piecemeal way, and it's a little hard to plan for - I find it leaves me gambling a bit on when to buy tickets to get good seats versus waiting for a closer show to be announced. When I used to go to 4-5 shows per tour I didn't really mind, but now with young kids I'm lucky to manage 2 or 3 shows so need to be a bit more strategic. Anyone else notice this too?

I got to see MG at the PAC in St. Catharines in 2015, that was a wicked setup where you could basically walk right up to the stage unencumbered. Scott Helman opened. He's playing there again, but in the auditorium instead, which I can't see having the same vibe.

I might go to one of the shows in BC. I hope he plays a new song or a new rendition of one of his older songs.

The Bored sure is quiet. Nobody posts here anymore. Lack of self-promotion on social media by Matt might play a part, or maybe not many people care anymore.  Who knows.

I noticed that some female members of the Bored don't post anymore. I wonder if they'll come back at some point. Maybe Matt lost some female fans.

Edited by sharon

I think it's tough to keep the fire stoked without involvement, and he had a couple strikes land pretty close together paired with a dropping off from social media. Toss in an autoimmune disease during a pandemic and a guy who was openly debating walking away a few times already, I think it's fair to say things were trending this way. If memory serves, the last time he toured with a band was over 5 years ago, wasn't it? The acoustic shows are great, but those are maybe a bit more niche and don't appeal to a certain type of fan. 

I hope he's doing alright. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:58 AM, russic said:

I think it's tough to keep the fire stoked without involvement, and he had a couple strikes land pretty close together paired with a dropping off from social media. Toss in an autoimmune disease during a pandemic and a guy who was openly debating walking away a few times already, I think it's fair to say things were trending this way. If memory serves, the last time he toured with a band was over 5 years ago, wasn't it? The acoustic shows are great, but those are maybe a bit more niche and don't appeal to a certain type of fan. 

I hope he's doing alright. 

March 2020 in Toronto was his last full band show I think.  I hear you, not a lot to discuss musically right now so it's tough.  Really wish Matt would dig out something in the archives.  This would be the perfect time while he regroups to release some older live stuff, even if just a digital release.  Throw in some old MG shirts re-released, might reinvigorate some fans and also give him something to promote in the meantime.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, Stwlegend said:

March 2020 in Toronto was his last full band show I think.  I hear you, not a lot to discuss musically right now so it's tough.  Really wish Matt would dig out something in the archives.  This would be the perfect time while he regroups to release some older live stuff, even if just a digital release.  Throw in some old MG shirts re-released, might reinvigorate some fans and also give him something to promote in the meantime.

Yeah I think the tour he was on when COVID cancelled it, was full band. I had tickets to see him in Sault Ste Marie.  I was really bummed when it didn't work out.  Now that I'm moving even farther away from the Sault to Elliot Lake (My Hometown) I wonder if I'll realistically have a chance to see him again without having to make an ordeal of it.  My inlaws live in Chatham/Kent so I could always go to a Sarnia show or London show but... It has to co-inside with one of my holidays (Healthcare worker here) as it's an 8-12 hour drive depending on time of year and other factors.

Sucks. LOL  At least he plays smaller cities. Alexisonfire and Dallas only do major cities, and I can't go see the Hip cause well... you know...   

Edited by Sly Botts

Vancouver Setlist

Selling you my heart
Rabbits
Banter 
Radicals
Strange Days
Born losers w/ Rod & Holly?
Bantz with Rod
Champions w/ Rod
Advertising 
Metal airplanes 
Ear bantz
Time Bomb
Start of Weapon lol
Suburbia
Symbolistic (First time in ~20 years?)
Montreal Canadiens bantz
Load me up
Apparitions
---------------
Carolina (first time live apparently)
Parts
Alamos

13 hours ago, foats said:

The tour starts tonight!  Is anyone going? Anyone taping?  Matt had a cool post with some of the songs he plans on playing. Looks like fun.  

Where does Matt post these days? Is he back on IG? I miss reading his thoughts on things.

18 hours ago, clickarmy said:

Born losers w/ Rod & Holly?

Carolina (first time live apparently)

Great setlist.

Woah! Are you talking about Holly McNarland? She came all the way from Toronto? I would have loved to seen that in person.

I hope he plays Guns Of Carolina on Sunday. I love that song.

Edited by sharon

I am almost positive he played Guns of Carolina during the Arrows tour or at one of the winery shows he did.  I am also certain he's played symbolistic since 2003 in fact he played it at an acoustic show I was at.  Rarities and great to hear none the less. 

Yes Carolina was common in Arrows Days but probably hasnt been played in 10 years.  Also Symbolistic was definitely played on the 2019 acoustic tour.  Still nice to see a few rare tracks in the set! 

Edited by adam_777

Cranbrook, BC Setlist

Parts
Metal Airplanes
electronica album news banter
Hello Time Bomb
Strange Days
Born Losers
Fated (that wasn't on the setlist)
A Boy And His Machine Gun
Advertising On Police Cars
Suburbia
Symbolistic White Walls
Load Me Up
Apparitions
---------------
Guns of Carolina
Los Alamos

Edited by sharon

On 9/29/2023 at 7:20 AM, d_hambly said:

Where does Matt post these days? Is he back on IG? I miss reading his thoughts on things.

It looks like he's posting a bit on his subreddit. Helped a guy with the chords in one of his songs, it was pretty cool. 

On 9/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, foats said:

I am almost positive he played Guns of Carolina during the Arrows tour or at one of the winery shows he did.  I am also certain he's played symbolistic since 2003 in fact he played it at an acoustic show I was at.  Rarities and great to hear none the less. 

Symbolistic White Walls was played 20 times in 2019 so it's not that groundbreaking

• Downvote 2

On 10/1/2023 at 11:32 PM, sharon said:

Cranbrook, BC Setlist

Parts
Metal Airplanes
electronica album news banter
Hello Time Bomb
Strange Days
Born Losers
Fated (that wasn't on the setlist)
A Boy And His Machine Gun
Advertising On Police Cars
Suburbia
Symbolistic White Walls
Load Me Up
Apparitions
---------------
Guns of Carolina
Los Alamos

Wow! So lucky you got A Boy And His Machine Gun. Would you happen to have a recording? There's only been two videos of the acoustic version in existence on YouTube.

Yep that was pretty cool. It felt like a real happenstance sort of treat to hear a new song in progress, just cause somebody asked. He didn't give a working title, but I would also have assumed "Dead on New Years" was a logical title based on what I heard and the couple quick notes I made on my phone.