saturnine

Satty's Word Of The Day

What up with that crazy rule:

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST TWICE IN A ROW.

Okay I try this Fast Reply and see if it gets around this Crazy Rule.

[nope, that didn't work. a Rule is a Rule. Thank you, ma'am, for being so promptly horrified at my Smilies incompetence. I figured out the Avatar -- do you like my Avatar?]

This one is also French, but for a different reason. It is such a sad and ghastly and disgusting thing, the French invented it first, and nobody else ever wanted to think up their own new word for it. It comes from France from before the French Revolution.

They arrest you in the middle of the night and drag you to some faraway prison, like the Bastille or the Chateau d'If.

No judge, no jury, no Habeas Corpus, no one phone call.

They throw you in a tiny little filthy prison cell without a window.

They lock the door and throw away the key. Once a day they throw in some fœtid slop for you to eat, through that little sliding opening, but you cannot see the guard's face, just maybe his hand for a second. You will never again see another human face, you will never again talk with another human being.

And then they Forget you. Forever.

The name of such a prison cell is oubliette -- the Little Forget Room.

There are still lots of them all over the world, each with a forgotten human being inside. Join Amnesty International.

http://vleeptron.blogspot.com/2005/02/pete...ed-amnesty.html

Whoops, this asshat is sincerely very sorry. I didn't look at your nick, and ... well, I am sincerely very sorry.

Is "asshat" a word designed to fool an Internet program so it does not kick and ban you for vulgar language? Like sjit?

Hmmmm ... I invent a word for such words now: Prophanity.

Oh. Well, again, thank you Sir for taking umbrage so promptly. Because again, I was Not Perfect, and then I had l'esprit d'escalier.

Earlier I said the Australians have these words, two kinds of greasy creepy young gentlemen who please God do not come to my door or blow your loud OWOOOOOOOGA car horn in the street in front of my house to date my daughter please God no no not one of These gentlemen.

One of them is the yobbo, and the other is not a HOOL (that of course is a European football/soccer fan who is always drunk and travelling thousands of kilometers to barf and beat up the fans of other teams).

The other young Australian gentleman is the HOON.

I still forget which one has the loud fast old car. Other than the car, the YOBBO is indistinguishable from the HOON.

Ah, okay, alles ist klar now.

I misspelled my last word. It's *disingenuous* . I hate it when I'm not perfect. But I'm not always perfect. There was this one time in 1989.

here's a nerdy word, but i love it, I could speak it aloud all day: directrix. It's a Thing in a parabola.

The Dutch mathematician Jan deWitt invented it in the 17th century. Later (and this doesn't happen often to mathematicians) he became the political leader of the Netherlands. An angry mob tore him and his brother to pieces. That was the last Dutch political assassination until an animal-rights activist murdered Pym Fortuyn, who had just surprised everyone by winning national elections on an anti-immigration platform about five years ago.

plinth

two wonderful Aussie words: yobbo and hool. One of them is what every father prays will never ring the doorbell to call for his daughter to go out on a date on friday night. The other is the same, but has a loud fast old hot-rod car.

two perversions: troilism and coprophilia.

It wasn't an animal rights activist, it was a muslim, as far as I know, that killed Pim Fortuyn. See, anti-immigration measures are really measures of keeping muslims out. A radical muslim killed a filmmaker Theo Van Gogh a few months back, which caused a huge amount of violence between whites and muslim. A muslim elementary school was fire-bombed.

Dutch pride, man.

Okay ... ummm ... the asshat replies:

I don't speak Dutch (tho almost everyone in NL speaks fluent English). I've only been to the Netherlands 7 or 8 times, and if I had the $ I would make it 8 or 9 starting tomorrow.

I am really sorry the following story is from CNN (with help from Associated Press). Ordinarily I wouldn't trust CNN/AOL/Time-Warner to tell me the correct calendar date.

But I've been up for a very long time now and must crash very soon, so I hosed up the first reasonably English-lingo "news" story I could find on Google. (I'm an old journalist and do place a great deal of trust in AP. I just don't know which parts of the following story are AP's.)

btw I most sincerely ain't trying to make this any kind of Flame War. Please *try* to agree that the whole thing of NL and Muslims and Pim (u got the spelling right, i got it rong) Fortuyn and NL's gay/lesbian community is monstrously controversial, the Mother Of All Hot Potatoes.

But I thought I was saying an Objective Thing about his assassin, and you thought you were saying an Objective Thing about his assassin.

Here's what I hosed up:

Clearly the assassin (or the guy they caught with Fortuyn's blood all over him a couple of minutes after the shooting, and who apparently confessed) is 100 percent all Dutch. His name is Volkert Van der Graaf.

Can't yet find the "animal-rights activist" part. If you're interested, I'll keep hunting. In case of Emergency, there's always IRC and its many NL chatrooms. By now, they'll know more about the guy's motive.

(Remember, John Lennon was assassinated because not enough people were reading the books of J.D. Salinger. Don't get your hopes up that the guy's "true motive" will make much sense to anybody.)

But the accused assassin wasn't any kind of Muslim. He just self-appointed himself a murderer-advocate on behalf of Muslims. Which is Something Different from being a Muslim.

Last time I was in Amsterdam -- summer 2003 -- and asked a 20-something guy whose folks had brought him there from Morocco ... Amsterdam had 28 mosques, the young guy liked NL, had utterly no desire to go back to North Africa, and felt sincerely that NL in general and Amsterdam (with its Jewish mayor named Cohen) in particular gave Muslims a real fair shake in the Equality and Human Rights Department.

(He does very much wish to go to Hollywood someday and asked me lots of questions about it.)

=====================

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/03/27....fortuyn.trial/

Fortuyn killer 'acted for Muslims'

Thursday, March 27, 2003 Posted: 1:53 PM EST (1853 GMT)

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands -- The man accused of assassinating Dutch anti-immigration politician Pim Fortuyn has told judges he acted on behalf of the country's Muslims.

Volkert Van der Graaf, 33, said during his first court appearance in Amsterdam on Thursday that Fortuyn was using "the weakest parts of society to score points" and gain political power.

Van der Graaf, who is charged with premeditated murder, pleaded guilty to illegally possessing firearms and sending Fortuyn threats before carrying out the attack, the Associated Press reports.

Although he allegedly confessed to the killing, under Dutch law prosecutors must present their case to a panel of judges. There are no jury trials in the Netherlands.

"(The idea) was never concrete until the last moment, the day before the attack," the news agency reported Van der Graaf as saying.

"I saw it as a danger, but what should you do about it?" he said. "I hoped that I could solve it myself."

Fortuyn, an academic and columnist, was running for the post of prime minister on an anti-immigration platform.

The proceedings are being held in a high-security courtroom, nicknamed "The Bunker," which is separated by a bulletproof glass barrier.

Onlookers continually interrupted the proceedings, denouncing Van der Graaf as a murderer and chanting "Life! Life!" to press for a tough sentence.

He briefly scanned the public gallery for familiar faces, avoiding eye contact with Fortuyn's two brothers, Maarten and Simon, sitting nearby.

One woman stood up to demand Van der Graaf be jailed for life, saying he "devastated the country," before being dragged out by court officials to join a handful of Fortuyn supporters outside.

Prosecutors began by showing a video animation reconstructing the pursuit of Van Der Graaf by Fortuyn's driver and several other witnesses of the murder.

Fortuyn's murder sent shockwaves through the Netherlands.

The accused had been arrested minutes after the shooting in a car park outside a radio studio where the killing took place in May 2002. He had the murder weapon in his pocket and his trousers were spattered with Fortuyn's blood, AP said.

The killing of Fortuyn, days before the country was to go to the polls in a general election, sent shockwaves through the Netherlands and propelled Fortuyn's party and his anti-immigration policy into a three-party right-wing coalition government.

But the administration later collapsed amid political bickering and infighting. New elections were held in January which saw public support for his party, the Fortuyn List, collapse.

Van der Graaf, a father-of-one, allegedly confessed to the killing last November, saying he was worried Fortuyn was gaining too much power and posed a threat to "vulnerable members of society."

The agriculture university graduate has gone on hunger strike for more than two months complaining of 24-hour camera surveillance in his cell. The trial, held in a high-security courtroom, is expected to take several days.

Van der Graaf, whose lawyers represented him at several earlier hearings, remains the only suspect in the case. However, prosecutors have not ruled out that he may have worked with others.

He faces a life sentence if found guilty.

Copyright 2003 CNN. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

boyoboy i sincerely hope everything does an immediate U-turn and gets back to kewl words. if it can't while i'm hanging here, i will be HAPPY to vanish. Forever if necessary. My component of how this all started was a historical note about the Dutch guy who invented the nifty word "directrix."

dan ... u were disingenuous to me about "asshat." as i suspected, an asshat is NOT a hat that people wear on their ass.

but thank you for the "slightly more trendy and less severe variation of asshole."

contrapuntal

i clicked, but i didn't really have to read the whole thing. i had suspected all along it might primarily have had something to do with "asshole."

you've had my sincere apology long ago for accidentally getting your gender wrong. get over it. or don't get over it. will i fit in on this forum better if I take my manners cues from you?

i'm running a Flame War Special today only. First poster who tells me to vanish -- I am gone. You don't even have to call me an asshat.

i clicked, but i didn't really have to read the whole thing. i had suspected all along it might primarily have had something to do with "asshole."

you've had my sincere apology long ago for accidentally getting your gender wrong. get over it. or don't get over it. will i fit in on this forum better if I take my manners cues from you?

i'm running a Flame War Special today only. First poster who tells me to vanish -- I am gone. You don't even have to call me an asshat.

are you on crack? and if so, can i have some?

No, I'm not on crack. That would be against the law. I always obey the laws of the country I'm in.

Did I mention I've been to NL 7 or 8 times? Prague 2 x -- absinthe's legal there.

thujone

hi itchy, can u gimme a citation on absinthe being legal in canada? the buzz i've always heard is that when it was banned in Europe and the USA, ditto Canada. the other buzz i heard, though, is that there's old-fashioned superstrength absinthe for sale in the French islands just south of Newfoundland, Miquelon and St. Pierre.

i've only had Hill's (tourist-strength) absinthe from the Czech Republic. very subjective matter of taste, but i loved it, partially certainly from stumbling on some Forbidden Mythical Fruit. partially from the really really nifty theatrical presentation that the Prague bartender put on when he showed me how it's uhhhhh "supposed" to be served. Fire is involved.

okay i lied. i smuggled a bottle back in my dirty underpants. we invited friends over for an absinthe party. the guy guest set the coffee table on fire.

but i loved the taste, the buzz, the wickedness & depravity of it all. even tourist-strength, truly the weirdest-ass beverage i ever tossed down my maw. after we put the fire out, everybody had the Funnest Party we could remember.

the Canada thing -- i'm just 6 hours south of Montreal, so I am authentically curious.

"frozen Christmas"

Also, when you're coming, bring copious amounts of heroin across the border. They won't give you shit for it at all, because all drugs are legal in Canada. We are a Liberal country.