saturnine

Satty's Word Of The Day

well, no, i am not making a special trip to Canada just for the absinthe. I love Canada and will be there soon enough in the normal course of my Canada-lovin' life. Can I just wander into any Canadian bar and order it by the drink?

Newfoundland Screech Rum -- there's a kick in the torso. And legal there, and legal here.

meme

"... a meme wrapped in a 'protein jacket' that promises Eternal Life if you give the meme a home in your brain, and promises you Eternal Damnation if you don't give the meme a home in your brain."

Yes, you can also buy cocaine in bars. Not from the bartender, but from a creepy stinky guy who hangs out in the back alley behind the bar.

Edited by Dan

at the Canadian border, they always ask me if I am smuggling in firearms, liquor or cigarettes. no, no, and maybe 2 packs of Marlboros. And that's okay with them, enjoy your visit to Canada. 2 minutes later i pull into Tim Horton's, i am a total foole for Tim's, and I put money in the jar for the summer camp.

this may be spelled all wrong: demisesquicentennial

circumlocution \sir-kum-lo-KYOO-shun\, noun:

The use of many words to express an idea that might be expressed by few; indirect or roundabout language; a periphrase.

Circumlocution comes from Latin circumlocutio, circumlocution-, from circum, around + loquor, loqui, to speak.

Circumlocution office is a term of ridicule for a governmental office where business is delayed by passing through the hands of different officials. It comes from Dickens' Little Dorrit:

Whatever was required to be done, the Circumlocution Office was beforehand with all the public departments in the art of perceiving--How not to do it.

here's how the Prague bartender told the gawking American tourist to prepare it. I sent a copy of this back to the hotel, and they liked it a lot. I think they made copies and hand one to any tourist who says, "How do I drink this stuff?"

And I still say it's real yummy and interesting and fun. Not like mouthwash, but certainly the most bitter liquid I ever tossed down my alimentary canal.

bandeau

Absinth is legal in Canada too. It is nothing too exciting. It tastes like mouthwash, and really is not worth the effort.

My friend Matt was in Holland and he bought a bottle to bring back for us to try, but his plane transferred or something in Boston, and they made him pour it out. i was very dissapointed.

He got to keep the bottle though...

And i'd like to congratulate Saturnine on this thread's not sucking. I was expecting a lot less. bravo.

No, it is just that there is some sort of special process you do in order to make it cause hallucinations. I doubt it matters where you get it from, if you do it right.

wormwood (so says christy) extract is the key ingredient, and i believe that is illegal.

and also, thank you, dan, for your lack of faith in me. i look forward to further disappointing you.

Edited by saturnine

Wormwood

BOTANICAL CLASSIFICATION

Family: Compositae (Composite)

Genus: Artemisia

Species: absinthium

COMMON NAMES: Absinthe; Absinthium; Green Ginger; Madderwort

DESCRIPTION:

Artemisia absinthium is a silvery-green perennial herb growing up to 1.5 meters tall which contains the volatile oil thujone. It is added to distilled ethanol to create absinthe. Its effects alone are not well understood.

(fyi)

recidivism \rih-SID-uh-viz-um\, noun:

A tendency to lapse into a previous condition or pattern of behavior; especially, a falling back or relapse into prior criminal habits.

Recidivism derives from Latin recidivus, "falling back," from recidere, "to fall back," from re-, "back" + cadere, "to fall." A recidivist is one who relapses or who is an incorrigible criminal.

if i may ask a question here..

i am interested in knowing how you choose the particular

word of the day. do you open the dictionary and close your eyes and run your finger down the page at random?

is it a word you read or heard that day?

you pick words that i don't hear on a day to day basis, which i understand is the point, but i'm still interested to know...

edit: i have never heard the word recidivism in my life.

Edited by mrs jesus

and also, thank you, dan, for your lack of faith in me. i look forward to further disappointing you.

well you know, this is the Bored. what would you expect?

as for absinthe, i was hanging out with a friend of a girl i know who had some, and in preparing it, she melted a sugar cube in a spoonfull of absinthe. She seemed fucked up after a few spoonfull's, but you can't always trust strangers, i guess.

word of the day. do you open the dictionary and close your eyes and run your finger down the page at random?

you pick words that i don't hear on a day to day basis, which i understand is the point, but i'm still interested to know...

i pick words at random; words that i'd like to hear people say i lieu of simpler, common words. that's all it takes to further your intelligence -- one word at a time.

i pick words at random; words that i'd like to hear people say i lieu of simpler, common words. that's all it takes to further your intelligence -- one word at a time.

you are so wise.

maybe with your guidance, and luck, we may all be that wise someday.