saturnine

Satty's Word Of The Day

furtive \FUR-tiv\, adjective:

1. Done by stealth; surreptitious; secret; as, a furtive look.

2. Expressive of stealth; sly; shifty; sneaky.

3. Stolen; obtained by stealth.

4. Given to stealing; thievish; pilfering.

Furtive is from Latin furtivus, from furtum, "theft," from fur, "thief."

platitude \PLAT-uh-tood; -tyood\, noun:

1. Staleness of ideas or language; triteness.

2. A thought or remark that is banal, trite, or stale.

Yet a curious thing happens in this book: Whatever promise it offers of satire and enlightened vision dissipates into cliche and platitude.

--Edward Rothstein, "Against Galactic Rhetoric," New York Times, April 3, 1983

She'll have to cut the platitudes and start saying something unusual and provocative, which she hasn't yet.

--Jonathan Alter, "Why It's Time to Let Loose," Newsweek, December 6, 1999

Platitude derives from French plat, "flat." It is related to plate, a flat piece of metal or a flat dish in which food is served or from which it is eaten; and plateau, a broad, level, elevated area of land. The adjective form of platitude is platitudinous.

discursive \dis-KUR-siv\, adjective:

1. Passing from one topic to another; ranging over a wide field; digressive; rambling.

2. Utilizing, marked by, or based on analytical reasoning -- contrasted with intuitive.

The style is highly discursive, leap-frogging forwards and backwards across the decades, without ever sacrificing thrust or clarity.

--Nicholas Blincoe, "Spirit that speaks," The Guardian, August 21, 1999

Rather than being a limiting influence, the time restrictions seem often to have compelled ensembles and soloists to condense and distill arrangements and to edit potentially discursive solo performances.

--Richard M. Sudhalter, Lost Chords

He is in general a discursive politician: Start him talking and you cannot get him to stop.

--Dan Balz, "President Endures Embarrassing Week," Washington Post, March 15, 1998

He is an intuitive being who can pierce to the heart of a matter without taking the circuitous route of deeper and more discursive minds.

--"1962 Man of the Year: Pope John XXIII," Time, January 4, 1963

Discursive comes from Latin discurrere, "to run in different directions, to run about, to run to and fro," from dis-, "apart, in different directions" + currere, "to run."

Edited by saturnine

discursive \dis-KUR-siv\, adjective:

1. Passing from one topic to another; ranging over a wide field; digressive; rambling.

2. Utilizing, marked by, or based on analytical reasoning -- contrasted with intuitive.

The style is highly discursive, leap-frogging forwards and backwards across the decades, without ever sacrificing thrust or clarity.

--Nicholas Blincoe, "Spirit that speaks," The Guardian, August 21, 1999

Rather than being a limiting influence, the time restrictions seem often to have compelled ensembles and soloists to condense and distill arrangements and to edit potentially discursive solo performances.

--Richard M. Sudhalter, Lost Chords

He is in general a discursive politician: Start him talking and you cannot get him to stop.

--Dan Balz, "President Endures Embarrassing Week," Washington Post, March 15, 1998

He is an intuitive being who can pierce to the heart of a matter without taking the circuitous route of deeper and more discursive minds.

--"1962 Man of the Year: Pope John XXIII," Time, January 4, 1963

Discursive comes from Latin discurrere, "to run in different directions, to run about, to run to and fro," from dis-, "apart, in different directions" + currere, "to run."

see also: christy

colloquial \kuh-LOH-kwee-uhl\, adjective:

characteristic of informal spoken language or conversation; "wrote her letters in a colloquial style"; "the broken syntax and casual enunciation of colloquial English"; hence, unstudied; informal; as, colloquial phrases; a colloquial style.

``To use a colloquial phrase, such sentiments...do one's heart good.''

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge

``The abandonment of...poetic diction for the colloquial language of real life.''

--John Richard Green

``His [samuel Johnson's] colloquial talents were, indeed, of the highest order.''

--Macaulay

Colloquial is from the Latin colloquium, a conversation, from col- (com-), with, together + loquor, loqui, to speak.

Is there something wrong with me, knowing the fact that I'm completely familiar with most of these words. In fact, I use them almost daily.

Why can't I be more like Saturnine, being entertained by meaninglessly complex words in the dictionary that I can't come close to comprehending? Why can't it be like that?

Fuck, I wish I was a brain-dead slob.

In all honesty, this one is sincere. It sucks to know that I wasted my life just for a good vocabulary. Or, in a colloquial sense, I done fucked up real good.

EDIT: Your wish is my command

Edited by Maverick