Ruettiger

Canadian Government Falls

At this point, I'm not sure who I'll vote for. Either the Liberals, simply so Harper doesn't get in as PM, like I did last time around, or the NDP. My area is already plastered with Liberal lawn signs so I guess I know how everyone else will be voting around here.

Harper already screwed up by talking about gay marriage on day one.

God damn... what a redneck. We doesn't need a bible-thumper in the PMO.

Yeah seriously!

What the fuck was he thinking??

I think he wants to lose.

Just to be clear, most Albertans (at least the ones i know) do not like Harper, but just see him as the lesser evil in this situation.

God damn... what a redneck.  We doesn't need a bible-thumper in the PMO.

Yeah seriously!

Just to be clear, most Albertans (at least the ones i know) do not like Harper, but just see him as the lesser evil in this situation.

Lesser evil?

I liked Jean more the Paul (even with the ad scandle).

that makes me angry.

Jean Chretien is pretty much on my "top 10 most hated people in the world" list. I dislike him more than Bush probably. If i ever saw him in person i'd spit on him, or at the very least flip him the bird and lace him with profanity.

... he would then return the favour, 'cause he's that kinda guy.

Or maybe perform the "Shawinigan Handshake"

Or people you with golf balls.

I liked Jean more the Paul (even with the ad scandle).

that makes me angry.

Jean Chretien is pretty much on my "top 10 most hated people in the world" list. I dislike him more than Bush probably. If i ever saw him in person i'd spit on him, or at the very least flip him the bird and lace him with profanity.

So much better than being a puss and hitting him with a pie..

And yeah, it all just spells out another Liberal minority government. But I followed the last election very closely through the summer, so I'm hoping I can afford the time to do so again.

I think Harper is the second of three evils, Martin being the lesser of all three. It was a stealh office in the PMO, if he said no to money requests from the PM he'd lose everything he had gained most likely. It's not incompetance he didn't know, it's he didn't know because this was something no one knew about. All the other parties have bad eggs too, Grewal's a Tory, Svend Robinson is an NDP. It's not like parties don't have bad eggs, it's the fact that the Liberals lost money, which seems more important then the loss of lives that the U.S. is currently losing.

God damn... what a redneck.  We doesn't need a bible-thumper in the PMO.

Yeah seriously!

Actually, I think it may have been a smart move by Harper. The main reason the Conservatives lost the election was the Liberal fear-mongering. By going out on day 1 and clearly outlining his plan for same-sex marriage (which isn't necessarily getting rid of it), he's got his official position out there, making it impossible for the Liberals to say Harper will ban same-sex marriage. And, any of the anger/outrage over the free vote will certainly be forgetten come election day. Harper gets same-sex marriage out of the way, and can move on now.

Edited by crazycanuck

Actually, I think it may have been a smart move by Harper. The main reason the Conservatives lost the election was the Liberal fear-mongering. By going out on day 1 and clearly outlining his plan for same-sex marriage (which isn't necessarily getting rid of it), he's got his official position out there, making it impossible for the Liberals to say Harper will ban same-sex marriage. And, any of the anger/outrage over the free vote will certainly be forgetten come election day. Harper gets same-sex marriage out of the way, and can move on now.

i think so too.

and, no, most albertans do not like harper. in fact, i see him as the slimiest of all of them. i've never voted liberal, though, because despite their trustworthy appearance, they're all money grubbing liars. and snobs. i think the liberals are very snobby.

none of that, though, has anything to do with politics, and i'm considering leaving my politics out of this discussion until it gets heated.

funny note, though, from tuesday's province:

"The Times offered an equally uncharitable assessment of the two major party leaders - Martin and Conservative Stephen Harper.

"'Neither candidate is particularly charismatic, and neither has captured the public imagination,' the paper wrote."

is it only in america, or are there actually canadians out there who consider "charisma" a serious election issue?

Charisma has always been an important political factor. It's not so much that you may think you're the best candidate, but you have to make the public think so too. If you can get your ideas across and woo the voters, they're obviously going to support you. It's obviously not as blunt as "I'll vote for this guy cause he talks pretty" so much as "I'll vote for this guy because he seems to know what he's doing and has a clear, articulate plan"

Charisma has always been an important political factor. It's not so much that you may think you're the best candidate, but you have to make the public think so too. If you can get your ideas across and woo the voters, they're obviously going to support you. It's obviously not as blunt as "I'll vote for this guy cause he talks pretty" so much as "I'll vote for this guy because he seems to know what he's doing and has a clear, articulate plan"

i kind of disagree. i mean, i agree that you need to convince the public that you know what you're talking about, but i think it has less to do with charisma, and more with age. the age of your party. not the HISTORY of your party, but how long you've been around for. harper was the leader of the canadian alliance, remember? how well did he do there as compared to how well he's done as a conservative.

aaaah. time to bring my own politics in.

1st point: i think that the entire voting system is flawed.

i kind of disagree. i mean, i agree that you need to convince the public that you know what you're talking about, but i think it has less to do with charisma, and more with age. the age of your party. not the HISTORY of your party, but how long you've been around for. harper was the leader of the canadian alliance, remember? how well did he do there as compared to how well he's done as a conservative.

aaaah. time to bring my own politics in.

1st point: i think that the entire voting system is flawed.

The Canadian Alliance was somewhat established, but the only reason anyone voted for them was because they changed their name from the Reform Party.

Personally, I think that whole Stockwell Day mess should be collectively forgotten. What an embarassment.