Cherry Poppin' Daddy

Is The Arctic Canadian Territory?

i've always wondered if i could go build my own giant floating island and anchor it out in the middle of the ocean and claim it as mine.

Would that be any different than living in a big boat?

you don't know how many times i've wanted to do that.

i was thinking more aloong the uninhabited island' line, personally. I read into it actually. People half-recognise the free-state in sweden, is it?

but then you have 2 and a half people on an abandoned military base off England and no one even pays attention.

As for the north though, if we don't defend it, we could get trampled in the case of a china and/or russia attack on america, which maxim has been telling me is quite imminent.

there was actually a very interesting article about this in a more recent issue. i'll go look it up.

Observe: The Principality of Sealand

This is a real country - it is a former WW2 era British anti-aircraft platform. The Principality of Sealand is a fully autonomous 'micronation' with its own government, monarchy (Prince Roy and Prince Michael), coinage and stamps. Even though fewer than 5 people live on the whole thing.

sealand.jpg

In 1942, during World War II, HM Fort Roughs was constructed by the UK as one of the Maunsell Sea Forts. The location chosen was in international waters, outside the sqthen three-mile territorial water claim of the United Kingdom.

The facility was occupied by Royal Navy personnel throughout World War II; post war it was not until 1956 that the last full-time personnel were taken off and marking of its position as a shipping hazard was left to Trinity House. On September 2, 1967, the fort was occupied by Major Paddy Roy Bates, a British subject and pirate radio broadcaster, who ejected a competing group of pirate broadcasters and claimed sovereignty on the basis of his interpretation of international law.

In 1978, while Bates was away, the Prime Minister of Sealand, Alexander G. Achenbach, and several German and Dutch citizens staged a forcible takeover of the facility, holding Bates' son Michael captive, before releasing him several days later in the Netherlands.

Bates thereupon enlisted armed assistance and, in a helicopter assault, retook the fortress. He then held the invaders captive, claiming them as prisoners of war. Most participants in the invasion were repatriated at the cessation of the "war", but Gernot P

i love that article

i would kill to have a chunk of concrete where i could disappear.

the maxim article was from January's issue. I scanned the first page. The pieces are kind of silly by themselves, but the entire list together creates the atmosphere of fear.

01-28-2006085222PM.jpg

The other countries listed, 2through 10.

2. Iran

3. European Union

4. North Korea

5. Russia

6. India

7. Pakistan

8. Japan

9. Brazil

10. Mexico

EDIT: Fuck, that's way too small to read

Edited by Dan #2

well all the countries on that list, except the EU and Japan, have cheaper labour then the US. so they will make gains there for manufacturing. But for high tech equipment, and military, the US will alway be number 1.

well all the countries on that list, except the EU and Japan, have cheaper labour then the US. so they will make gains there for manufacturing. But for high tech equipment, and military, the US will alway be number 1.

1) You spelled 'always' wrong.

2) 'Always' is a word that you should use with caution. It has been thrown around a lot in history and rarely turns out true. I think it's pretty safe to say that the US will not 'always' be number 1, as there are numerous factors that will eventually catch up to it.

Okay, cheap labour is one thing, but for the love of Christ, they drink more Coke than water in mexico because it's cheaper and safer! And somehow they're going to dethrone the U.S.?

Canada would sooner become a nuclear power.