HoboFactory

Israel, Lebanon, Etc Crisis

If it stays just between Israel and Lebanon, it would probably stay pretty local, and probably settle relatively soon. However, I predict:

1. Israel attacks Syria

2. Syria, Jordan, and Iran attack Israel (Iran already said they would retaliate if Syria is attacked)

3. U.S. gets involved

4. ?

No matter what happens, this is history in the making.

And I thought that the US invaded Iraq to bring stability to the Middle East?

Somehow, I don't think the U.S. will be able to get involved to any serious degree here, as the army is already a bit tied up.

You know, if Lester B. Pearson were around he'd be able to do something in the situation. I watched a documentary on the Suez Crisis on Tuesday and really what's not needed here is aimless banter.

The U.S. is already involved. Those tanks, and helicopters used to shoot at civilians and military targets the Israel gov't has been using for years are all made in the States. Also, Israel gets more money then ANY other country the U.S. gives money to. Its a revolving door, you buy our tanks etc, we give you billions of dollars for "infrastructure" like the Bantustan Wall separating the Palestinians and Israelis. The war if you look at it since the invasion of 1967 has continued since then, there has been pockets of peace, but really both sides have been killing each other for years. I am for Palestinian self-determination, so i will probably try to stay out of this conversation, because it always turns into a massive debate lol.. But yes. Horrific events are taking place and close friends of mine have family and friends in Lebanon, so i am basically praying that they're okay.

Edited by supercanuk

Perhaps they won't, but seeing as Iran was already on the U.S.'s shit list and there was some major tension there, I wouldn't exclude it completely. It also doesn't really help that Iran is more or less in charge of most of the Muslim world.

Not to mention that the U.S. always supports Israel no matter what. They already vetoed a UN resolution to make Israel back off from this conflict, and in so doing basically gave Israel free reign to do whatever they want.

Also, North Korea adds another factor to the equation that is most certainly unfavourable.

It seems like everything is lining up in the direction of catastrophe, but maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Well a lot of theory's have been put forward. One reason, is that geo-politically Israel is a fantastic spot to put bases for further campaign's into the middle east. It's basically a staging ground for future conflicts. Another is the whole religious right believeing that Israel has to be inhabited by Jewish people for Jesus to come back, so they pressure political support for basically anythin the Israeli government wants to do. Also, they buy a lot of arms from them. Those are a few quick reasons, but a lot of people have a lot more different and complicated and probably more coherant explainations.

What I find so abhorrent and sadening is that these are the same people that were being slaughtered in WW2. They went from having been horrificly tortured, and killed by the millions to horrifically tortureing, killing, controlling others! How does that happen? I'm not saying the Palestinians haven't fought back and innocents have died, but overwhelmingly the Palestinians have suffored from Israel, not the other way around.

Edited by supercanuk

You're right there, Supercanuk.

At this point, the Israeli response has been nothing approaching "measured". They're launching missile attacks and have killed upwards of 50 people for the sake of 2 soldiers. Those soldiers have the right to expect that their country will take care of them when they're kidnapped on their own soil, but this is ridiculous. If you ask me, I think Israel has found an excuse to escalate its aggression at this point.

At this point, the Israeli response has been nothing approaching "measured". They're launching missile attacks and have killed upwards of 50 people for the sake of 2 soldiers. Those soldiers have the right to expect that their country will take care of them when they're kidnapped on their own soil, but this is ridiculous. If you ask me, I think Israel has found an excuse to escalate its aggression at this point.

Oh totally man, the aggression is so disproportional to the actual offense. There have been hawks in the Olmert administration ( especially with Hamas democratically elected since the PA [Palestinian Authority]did nothing for the arabs in the region) that have been wanting to take out Hamas for a while and they saw this situation and said "we got it'em". It's not surpriseing that yesterday the U.S. veto'd a resolution to try to put a cap on this situation, all of this is very, very troubling.

supercanuk and ecnarf, I have to say that I completely disagree with you. Obviously I come from quite a different point of view since I was born and raised here in Israel. But to say that these are the people who have been slaugthered in WWII and now they're slaugthering others is just incorrect.

First of all, I'd like to say that I don't agree with everything the Israeli govement does, to be honest, I don't agree with most of it. But can you imagine 70 rockets in 24 hours going down on houses and innocent people and the goverment not doing a single thing about it? That's not rational.

I'm quite left-winged and I don't support violence but sometimes there's no other way. I don't think anyone who watches CNN and reads about this online really knows what it's like to live here in Israel. My brother has to join the army for three years when he turns 18 just like any other person here in Israel, do you imagine what it's like for parents of every 18 year-old boy to not be able to sleep at night for three years because their child might be in danger? Can you imagine what it's like to be in kindergarten and carry your gas mask everywhere in case Iraq will decide to send chemical rockets? Well, I can, because I went through all of that. As sad as that sounds, I got used to exploding buses, to rockets falling north and south and that's the reality here. Sure, the Palestnians don't have a peacy life and I'm not say we're completely innocent. But sometimes enough and enough. And I wish the U.S. would do something instead of saving its own ass and fight for oil. Peace in the middle east? My ass.

That's no good.

But to be fair, where is the "good" place in Israel to live?

But to say that these are the people who have been slaugthered in WWII and now they're slaugthering others is just incorrect.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that might be because if these people had been slaughtered in WWII, they would be zombies?

It seems to me that Israel was just waiting for a reason to go to war; their response seems way overblown relative to the actual offense.

Designate, would you say that Israel is prepared and willing to go to war with pretty much the whole Middle East? Are they seeking peaceful solutions? Or are they trying to keep it local to Southern Lebanon only, without it spilling over into neighbouring countries and areas?

Do you personally feel that this conflict is worth the two captured soldiers that seems to have been the starting point of this whole thing?

You don't have to answer if you don't want, but you definitely know more about this than any of us. The only information we get over here is the news, and they don't exactly have the greatest reputation when it comes to details and motives.

I hope this is resolved with the least possible casualties.