somnambulist

What You Bought, And What You Thought

Bought a new cd? Got an old one you wanna review? Tell everyone what you think. Doesn't matter if it's new or old, just let us know your opinion.

Try to keep the flaming to a minimum, this is for music appreciation. Of course feel free to post your negative opinions, just avoid the "(Band/Individual/NFer) suxxx0rrrz!!!11111!!LMAO" comments please.

To start things off, today I bought:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

I decided to buy this disc after falling in love with the amazing opening track "Like Eating Glass", and was not disappointed. Finally, I've found a dance-rock band with more. Having more depth, politics and emotion than the average (not to mention real accents), Bloc Party is great for a dancefloor rocker looking for something a bit more meaningful. However they're still great for getting your shake on. The punchy, frantic percussion, rythmic basslines and edgy, jangly guitars ensure you want to shake your ass in no time. The snare gets some extra lovin' (or punishment...same thing), which I quite enjoy, and gratuitous hand-claps are always a good thing. The high-pitch vocals are good for the most part, they could get a bit grating to some (think Cure, or Blink 182 at the worst) but I didn't mind. Minor negatives: There are a few songs a bit lacking in melody, but if you're in the right mood (dancing) it's not really an issue. The other downside - the slow songs come a bit late in the disc, I felt a bit drained 2/3rds through, but again, if you've got that energy it could be a good thing. All in all, definitely worth the purchase.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

While at first listen it seems a bit sterile and bland, especially to the uninitiated (non Kid A-owners), this disc grew on me big time. A few listens - especially with the headphones on, reveal that Yorke is capable of writing material that's more sincere and soul-baring than most of Radiohead's. The sound is glitchy but rythmic and melodic for the most part, not a huge departure from the electronic side of the band, but still different enough to warrant a listen or ten. Yorke's singing seems a bit more relaxed than usual, and didn't get on my nerves at all. A highlight for me is "Harrowdown Hill"... it's quite emotional, and I like it. Another worthy purchase, especially if you like the 'weirder' side of Radiohead.

most recently, I bought:

Minus The Bear- Highly refined Pirates

The album cost me $30 because I had to get HMV to import it as Minus The Bear isn't a very well known band. That fact aside, from the first guitar lick to the last, I thouroughly enjoyed this CD. If I had to pick a favorite track off of the album it'd probably be "Get Me Naked 2: Electric Boogaloo" or "Lets Play Guitar In A Five Guitar Band"

I bought the new Muse album most recently.

Well at 1st I had a hard time getting through the cd, as I did not know what to think of it at 1st. A few days I gave a second listen, and now I cannot stop playing the cd at all. The blend of techno and rock is what I enjoy the most on the cd, and all the different styles of music on the cd as well.

Best Songs:

Invinicible

Take a Bow

Supermassive Black Hole

Raja Ram's Stash Bag Volume 3 - Smokers, Jokers, and Midnight Tokers

Clearly from the name, and the cover art, it's a total pothead album. But then, it's also a Raja Ram megamix, so you can expect some decent pumping Goa/Psy Trance. Artists include 1200 Micrograms, GMS, Dino, Hypersonic, Nibiru, and others. It's got some vaguely annoying samples thrown in, but overall it's good. In order, the tracks blend into one another and include alot of well-executed electric guitar. Includes goa trance covers of some fairly well known stuff - Popcorn, Paranoid (this one is absolutely awesome), Smells Like Team Spirit...

I doubt anyone here listens to anything even remotely like this, but I enjoyed it...despite the expense of importing the CD from Germany.

Edited by Sparq

I've listened to some goa/psytrance. Sun Project & Infected are cool IMO.

Glad to hear it. Sun Project and Infected Mushroom are two of the best. Astral Projection is THE best, and Talamasca is decent.

I'm not too big on Astral, they're a bit too spacey for me. I still like stuff with a bit of melody and that deeper sound.

Yeah, Astral is a little different from the others....same rough genre. I started listening to trance and electronica primarily with a small sampling of SUN Project, Hallucinogen, X-Dream, Xenomorph, a large quantity of Astral Projection (12,000 Suns is nothing short of amazing), and a vast tidal wave of generic european rave club stuff. Epic/classic/club/etc stance with a distinctly cheesy slant.

I'll throw in a brief review here for legitimacy: Astral Projection - Ten. Generally harder, more Goa-ish remixes of some of their own tracks. Good stuff, though I haven't heard alot of agreement from the purists.

If the postal service does their job, I'll have a couple of things to put here this week.

There's a new Postal Service album? I should definitely look into that.

No. I've ordered a couple of CD's and they're coming in the mail.

most recently, I bought:

The album cost me $30 because I had to get HMV to import it as Minus The Bear isn't a very well known band. That fact aside, from the first guitar lick to the last, I thouroughly enjoyed this CD. If I had to pick a favorite track off of the album it'd probably be "Get Me Naked 2: Electric Boogaloo" or "Lets Play Guitar In A Five Guitar Band"

Minus the Bear is fucking awesome. I am still pissed I had tickets to the show a few months back and couldn't get off work.

Edited by noise_pollution

Oh, then hopefully you'll enjoy it. What else did you order?

The CD's are ordered are "Regret Over The Wires" by Matthew Ryan and "East Autumn Grin" also by Matthew Ryan.

To my disappointment, neither has arrived yet, it's getting me frustrated.

most recently, I bought:

Minus the Bear is fucking awesome. I am still pissed I had tickets to the show a few months back and couldn't get off work.

Yeah, I wanted to go SO bad but I was taking an evening course at Red River and it just HAPPENED to be on the same day of the week as the concert. I was super pissed.

The CD's are ordered are "Regret Over The Wires" by Matthew Ryan and "East Autumn Grin" also by Matthew Ryan.

I've never heard of Matthew Ryan. What kind of music does he play?

I've never heard of Matthew Ryan. What kind of music does he play?

Kinda folk-ish alternative. A little bit like Matt Good with a more gruff voice. It's really good stuff from what I've heard. If you've by chance heard of Strays Don't Sleep, they've released their debut album sorta recently, Matthew Ryan is one of their singers, but before that he released several relatively unpopular (and therefore very under-rated) albums.

It's always a little different depending on the album and such, sometimes it gives off a very country-ish vibe, sometimes it's quite electronic. I've found that his stuff isn't the easiest to download because of the relative obscurity. In fact the only reason I found out about him was that I was downloading tons of Matthew Good stuff and accidentally clicked on Matthew Ryan as well, and strangely enough actually liked the music just as much as MG's music.

I just bought Plans by Death Cab for Cutie, and Dusk and Summer by Dashboard Confessional. Two best CD's I've bought this year. Ah, although, they are the only CD's I've bought this year...ha. They're both great, there's really not a song I don't like on either one, which is good.