somnambulist

What You Bought, And What You Thought

Got both of the CD's I mentioned earlier.

I like East Autumn Grin (2000) better of the two. Despite some odd but possibly deliberate production quirks, it's a solid album, simple but honest. With a sound featuring M. Ryan's characteristically rough vocals and mostly acoustic intrumentation, set beautifully against violin and cello, East Autumn Grin is not extraordinarily innovative as an album yet quite original. While love and relationships are the dominant theme, a couple of political songs are thrown into the mix (such as "The World Is On Fire" which attacks media sensationalizing violence) and changes of pace are frequent and effective throughout. Pretty much every album I have breaks down as follows: 3 or 4 songs are those that I skip through immediately, another 4 or 5 that are quite alright, and maybe 3 or so that I really like. With East Autumn Grin, I actually enjoy each and every song... about as close to a perfect album as I've ever heard.

Regret Over The Wires (2003) was a little disappointing by comparison, it seemed to lack much of the bittersweet passion and honesty. This album maintains a faster pace and has a more of a country vibe. While Regret... is a step back from the 2000 release, it does have quite a few excellent songs. The genre-bending and anthem-like "I Hope Your God Has Mercy on Mine" is a catchy tune with a very original sound, and songs like "I Can't Steal You" and "Long Blvd." serve to remind of the quality of the material present in East Autumn Grin

The Remains of Brian Borcherdt Volumes 1 & 2

Sharing (actually, partially founding) the same record label as Wintersleep (and Borcherdt's band Holyfuck), he's bound to have some similarity in sound, which is what attracted me on first listen. The most notable similarity to Wintersleep is the vocal style, he sounds similar to Paul Murphy, but there is also a similarity to John Wozniak of Marcy Playground (the Sex & Candy band, for those who don't know).

Borcherdt's music has a very similar feel to Wintersleep's... very emotive and sincere, at times even so much to make you stop what you're doing and just lose yourself in the feeling. Ha, I found myself having an emo moment in the middle of a downtown Vancouver A&W to this.

While those similarities are shared, Brian Borcherdt is more straightforward rock & roll, with less expermentation and more pure instrumentation rather than effects. While I enjoy Wintersleep very much (2nd favorite band), some people are turned off by their obscurity or 'weirdness', as I've heard some put it. People who had looked into Wintersleep but been turned off by that aspect might enjoy this more.

A lot of these songs are emotional, acoustic affairs, while others are just great catchy indie rock. "Can't Stop Lovin' You" had me signing along at first listen, and "Motel" still gets me every single time. Good music. The second volume dips a bit more into obscurity but they're both very solid Canadian indie records, worthy of a purchase, especially if you enjoy that east Canadian sound.

Oh yeah, there's also some pretty cool artwork if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Edited by kirbenvost

peeping tom - peeping tom

Its a new Mike Patton [Faith No More, Fantomas, Mr. Bungle] project which is much more accessable that most of his other non-FNM work. Its supposedly how he envisions pop music should be. If you like any of his other stuff, you'll love this album. Its got his distinctive sound, but with more of a rap/ electronic pop feel than his usual sonic attacks. The first work of his I can play with friends who are into more mainstream music without a barrage of complaints. I def suggest it.

Got both of the CD's I mentioned earlier.

I like East Autumn Grin (2000) better of the two. Despite some odd but possibly deliberate production quirks, it's a solid album, simple but honest. With a sound featuring M. Ryan's characteristically rough vocals and mostly acoustic intrumentation, set beautifully against violin and cello, East Autumn Grin is not extraordinarily innovative as an album yet quite original. While love and relationships are the dominant theme, a couple of political songs are thrown into the mix (such as "The World Is On Fire" which attacks media sensationalizing violence) and changes of pace are frequent and effective throughout. Pretty much every album I have breaks down as follows: 3 or 4 songs are those that I skip through immediately, another 4 or 5 that are quite alright, and maybe 3 or so that I really like. With East Autumn Grin, I actually enjoy each and every song... about as close to a perfect album as I've ever heard.

Regret Over The Wires (2003) was a little disappointing by comparison, it seemed to lack much of the bittersweet passion and honesty. This album maintains a faster pace and has a more of a country vibe. While Regret... is a step back from the 2000 release, it does have quite a few excellent songs. The genre-bending and anthem-like "I Hope Your God Has Mercy on Mine" is a catchy tune with a very original sound, and songs like "I Can't Steal You" and "Long Blvd." serve to remind of the quality of the material present in East Autumn Grin

Pavel, check out Tom McRae, I think you'll like him.

peeping tom - peeping tom

Its a new Mike Patton [Faith No More, Fantomas, Mr. Bungle] project which is much more accessable that most of his other non-FNM work. Its supposedly how he envisions pop music should be. If you like any of his other stuff, you'll love this album. Its got his distinctive sound, but with more of a rap/ electronic pop feel than his usual sonic attacks. The first work of his I can play with friends who are into more mainstream music without a barrage of complaints. I def suggest it.

it's not that good. i think it falls flat of what it promises to be. most of the hype around this album comes from the single "mojo" which is alright but it has dumb lyrics, and the fact that nora jones swears on the track she guests on. i dont think it's as good as the general patton vs. the executioners project he did last year (or was it the year before?).

as for me, i recently bought return to cookie mountain by tv on the radio. i've only given it a few listens, but so far i'm really enjoying it. this album has to be one of my favorites of 2006... i've never heard anything quite like it. it's atmospheric, abrasive and hypnotic without becoming too self-indulgent. if your attention starts to linger, you can always expect the driving/pummeling beats to guide you on your way through this intense album. i'm going to take my time with this one.

The Light That Guides You Home - Jim Cuddy

anyone who likes folk rock bands like Blue Rodeo (who he is one of the singers of) and thats the only good example i know. but people who like kinda country/folk/rock, should listen to him, his voice has to be one the nicest voices ever. his music is fun and romantic other times. but definately good.

as for this cd. i give it 10/10. he is such a good writer, and definatley showed it again with this, his second solo album. check it out. the single is called Pull Me Through. but dont let the single make u think the whole thing is like that, its an upbeat fun cd. check it out for sure.

take a listen.

http://www.myspace.com/jimcuddyband

I just bought the new Barenaked Ladies album. Very, very good. I give it a 9/10 because I hate the song Peterborough and the Kawarthas. I think it sucks.

I also bought Knives Don't Have Your Back by Emily Haines. I give it a 10/10. It's perfect...

Today, I bought:

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Surprising, to say the least. Very restrained and shockingly laid back for this band. Some REALLY cool grooves in the bassline, nice, slower beats. So far I think I'm liking it more than the first two albums, but I need some more listens to form a proper opinion.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People & Self-Titled

The second and third albums by this band. They're WAY too artsy for their own good, especially on the Self-Titled, but I like it. One of my more favorite indie groups out there. You Forgot It In People reminds you that they are a chillout group in the guise of a rock band, while the Self-Titled...well... it's just a bit chaotic, but also good. Definitely glad I picked these up, and on sale.

The Cribs - The New Fellas

Total waste of money. There's one good song on the whole disc. Must remind myself never to buy a cd by a British band without hearing it entirely first. I would've thought Arctic Monkeys would've taught me that lesson...