"We may well find that this is a simple misunderstanding at the tactical level."

This was quoted from British officials and i think it sums it up pretty much. Either way, the Brit's boarded the Iranian ship, not the other way around, pursuant to Security Council Resolution 1723 in "support of the government of Iraq" to stop smuggling. Whether or not Iraq had much choice in this resolution seeing that al-Maliki is basically a puppet is obviously a footnote to the international press. Disregarding the rules of international waters by checking whomever seems to be floating by is a pretty serious offense internationally and is an infringement on the sovreignty of Iran. So i'd suggest instead of Iran having to explain themselves its really the other way around, what in that Security Council Resolution allowed British ships to enter Iranian waters, the resolution is to protect Iraqi waters!

Again, this is probably a big misunderstanding, but even so, it's not an act of any type of Iranian aggression and it's events like these that are often spun to catalyze some pretext to war. Look at the example of the Gulf of Tulken justification for the Vietnam war.. a big lie!

EDIT:

Again, this is IF the Brits were in Iranian waters, there is yet to be evidence of this.

Edited by supercanuk

So i'd suggest instead of Iran having to explain themselves its really the other way around, what in that Security Council Resolution allowed British ships to enter Iranian waters, the resolution is to protect Iraqi waters!

The Brits said that they were in Iraqi waters, the Iranians claim they were in Iranian waters. Between the Brits and the Iranians, I'd take the Brits' word on it.

So i'd suggest instead of Iran having to explain themselves its really the other way around, what in that Security Council Resolution allowed British ships to enter Iranian waters, the resolution is to protect Iraqi waters!

The Brits said that they were in Iraqi waters, the Iranians claim they were in Iranian waters. Between the Brits and the Iranians, I'd take the Brits' word on it.

lol i had JUST made that edit. However i'd take neither's word on it, they both have vested interests. Knowing where they really were is going to depend on testimony and possibly even sea data held in the ships.

Why has nobody else mentioned that this IS the movie plot from Tomorrow Never Dies?

I mean if this has all been fabricated by Iran/the Brits/a supervillain we should at least be able to say that we saw it coming.

That person ... is an idiot.

Tensions between the U.K. and Iran are certainly raising, im hearing that John Bolton (the ex-U.S. United Nations representative-dirtbag) said that the U.K. should be getting the U.S. to make Iran "suffer". I'm sure he meant economically lol - but you can tell things are getting out of hand.

That person ... is an idiot.

Well of course, just look at his spelling.

Actually, I recently saw a very interesting show on the PBS about Iran. The reason why their president is being such a wanker about Israel and the West, and the reason their gov't and military seem to do such audacious things is to distract the public from their problems at home. Their president promised the people increased wealth, a better life, and so on, instead, under his rule, the rate of inflation has been something like 300% and the costs of housing has also risen very rapidly. Many people are largely disillusioned with Iran's administration to provide for the people and make good on promises, so the gov't has to engage in these theatrics in order to shift the direction of public outrage.

yeah, i heard that too, it seems that a lot of leaders have done what he has done in the present and in the past.

If we look that the history of Iran and the west, i don't think that this is going to have a simple solution. Look how long the Iranians had the American's held hostage. It wasn't till President Regan's "Kill the Bastards" idea back in the 1980's that they finally got released.

This is so Tomorrow Never Dies...the fucked up thing is, I truly believe Iran pulled this shit to provoke a confrontation. As technologically advanced as the Royal Navy is, I refuse to believe they weren't where they were supposed to be. I personally would have handled it differently. I would have played up to Iran, and made them look like asses on the world stage. I would have made no threats, or accusations, I just would have played like they were the big man...

This is so Tomorrow Never Dies...the fucked up thing is, I truly believe Iran pulled this shit to provoke a confrontation. As technologically advanced as the Royal Navy is, I refuse to believe they weren't where they were supposed to be. I personally would have handled it differently. I would have played up to Iran, and made them look like asses on the world stage. I would have made no threats, or accusations, I just would have played like they were the big man...

It's interesting because both sides have kidnapped, i dont know if your aware but the U.S. and Britain who are obviously the big players in Iraq have been abducting people themselves. Specifically the U.S. where before the Britons were taken there werefive Iranian officials abducted in northern Iraq.

It looks almost like a prisoners swap because one of the Iranian officials who has been missing for two months was released on tuesday and wensday the Britons were released. I dont know if Iran really was provoking anything, i'd say maybe it's an eye for an eye? Either way, there is a lot more going on here, and with the U.S. plans to strike Iran and their militant posture towards Iran both sides are swinging their labedo around like its a wang on a leash. lol Despite Iran's gesture of good faith the media has been hounding for a reason to deplore the regime, mentioning a possible prisoner swap is only one of the accusations being thrown around. Either way, it's good to hear that people are going home and I dont think anyone can really disagree with that!

-EDIT: This is in no way a post supporting the regime, i just hate hypocracy and i see it on the world stage being played out constantly.

Edited by supercanuk

Believe me I know, all sides are guilty of pulling evil shit. I just think it could have been handled better. Personally, I have no faith in the honesty and integrity of any of the parties involved...though I would hope the british would be slightly better than the rest.

The world stage only features multi-act plays of hypocracy based tragedies my friend

once again, screw it all, lets invade..... Switzerland!

i mean, the got great lakes, great mountains to ski on, and tonnes of chocolate! plus since they are so good at making clocks, so they can makes it "happy hour" ever hour!

once again, screw it all, lets invade..... Switzerland!

i mean, the got great lakes, great mountains to ski on, and tonnes of chocolate! plus since they are so good at making clocks, so they can makes it "happy hour" ever hour!

That's the best idea ever. Perhaps we can import some swedish chicks.

Everyone confuses the two anyways.