sodamntired

Eternal Sunshine/brain Candy

No shit it is horrible, but people cannot feel sorry for themselves their entire lives...no matter what happens.

Life is what you make it...you take your time to deal with situations, you learn and move on...no matter how large of scale the incident was.

you disagree?

Edited by shade

obviously no one is going to chose to recieve their life lessons as such a cost. i was reading an article yesterday on physical gay tendencies, 'gay genes' etc. and most of the neurological research had been done by this guy who lost his partner to aids. when his partner died, he could have taken all his savings (which were probably a lot) and just vegged on his couch and rotted away. but he decided to step it up and see what he could do to help (although the jury's still out on if his research is actually doing any good).

We're talking about what is widely considered the most despicable crime someone can commit. There is an enormous gap between simply going through garden variety shit that life throws at most people and being the victim of paedophilia. Need I repeat? Enormous.

To my mind, this drug is in the same class as other anti-anxiety meds. What is wrong with reducing the intensity of a memory so powerful and horrific that it prevents someone from functioning normally?

Think about it....Why would someone molest a child? Perhaps because they were molested as a child themselves and never got over it? Tons of cases like that...

...Who the fuck do we feel sorry for Narf?

obviously no one is going to chose to recieve their life lessons as such a cost. i was reading an article yesterday on physical gay tendencies, 'gay genes' etc. and most of the neurological research had been done by this guy who lost his partner to aids. when his partner died, he could have taken all his savings (which were probably a lot) and just vegged on his couch and rotted away. but he decided to step it up and see what he could do to help (although the jury's still out on if his research is actually doing any good).

You have an enormous track record saying a wide variety of stupid shit when it comes to gay people. In the first place, losing or having a partner die is by no means uncommon. Tragic? Absolutely. Traumatic? Not really. So it's really outside the scope of both this thread and what the drug can apparently do.

And then there's the nasty little detail of the person being entirely capable of performing that research whether or not his boyfriend had died.

Think about it....Why would someone molest a child? Perhaps because they were molested as a child themselves and never got over it? Tons of cases like that...

...Who the fuck do we feel sorry for Narf?

Being molested as a child is no excuse for paedophilia. I feel sorry for the victim, not the criminal.

Edited by ecnarf

But the criminal is also the victim.

See what I am saying here....The victim has to get over it...become a stronger person....Learn from it?

You are killing me here

Edited by shade

And then there's the nasty little detail of the person being entirely capable of performing that research whether or not his boyfriend had died.

i believe this is exactly what we are arguing over. overcoming traumatic events (and losing your life partner is traumatic) and continuing on your life as best you can.

anyways, you two finish up your little argument.. or i'll close this.

What the hell Lauren...I think it is a decent debate...close this thread? What would be the point of that...

...I'm sure some other people will come with decent input.

I've noticed a lot of censorship on this forum when discussions start to get interesting

But the criminal is also the victim.

See what I am saying here....The victim has to get over it...become a stronger person....Learn from it?

You are killing me here

That contradicts your earlier statement. I do agree that traumatic events proide the opportunity for a person to become stronger. But this is a case where a traumatic memory can lead to paedophilia. If (and that's a fairly big if, I'll admit) this drug could prevent the victim from becoming the abuser through reducing the intensity of the memory, what downfall is there?

EDIT: Lauren, bugger off. Me and shade are having a decent and remotely intelligent conversation. If you're uncomfortable with that, as you like to tell so many other people, just don't read it.

Edited by ecnarf

i meant close it when stupid points and person insults get involved. as long as you keep it intelligent, have fun. just remember, adam doesn't listen to anyone.

edit: adam, don't tell me to do anything. i'm not your bitch.

Edited by Lauren

I do agree that traumatic events proide the opportunity for a person to become stronger.

this contradicts yours...partially.

I will agree that there is no downfall if the drug works like you say...side-effects etc would play factors...The mind is too complex really...

...not that I know much about any of that.

I was just arguing there are lessons to be from everything.

i think people who have never experienced traumatic events would not have the capacity to understand how it truely affect you. it's easy enough to sympathize with the victims (and sometimes the criminal) but you can't really understand without going through similar situations.

now it's easy for me to say that i'm glad i went through the shit i went through last year because of the person it made me, but what i went through wasn't getting anally raped or loosing a loved one forever. it's just bad shit.

so i guess what i'm trying to say is that we can't really say that the drug is a good or bad thing, 'cause we've never gone through anything nearly as traumtic as rape, war, or death. (i'm not saying everyone on this board hasn't, but you know what i mean).

also, closing this thread is fucking stupid. we need some name calling before we can do that

this contradicts yours...partially.

Contradicts my what? See, just because some things can cause a person to smarten and/or toughen up doesn't mean that all traumatic experiences are good in the long run.

For example, I would like you to tell a victim of paedophilia whose mind has been completely fucked up by it that the experience is good for them because it makes them tougher and a better person. It's tantamount to saying (although I'm sure you don't mean to imply it) that you wouldn't be a good person without the being raped as a boy thing.

Ya, maybe if there were candy canes falling from the sky and pink bunnies hopping all over the place.

Life is half horrid...sure saying it is good for them is not right...however 'whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger' in my opinion.

See, there's something you're not getting. There are traumatic events that physically prevent someone from functioning. Rob sleep. Emotionally cripple them. Ruins relationships, careers, etc. The "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has some pretty obvious limits.

There is something you are not getting. The people you are describing may have such symptoms after an event...but it is up to them to overcome them. Or they may choose to ignore and not deal with their problems and continue down that spiral. Sure there are cases where the mind is just full out blown, but there are still chances for recoveries in even the worst cases.

I agree with Shade here. Of course people who go through horrible things like that are scarred for life, but life is what you make of it and while there're people who never resume to a normal life, other people are channeling their past expriences to become a stronger person. I would never wish anyone to go through a traumatic event such as rape but I think that if you can survive something like that, you can survive pretty much anything.

Also, what Shade said about a lot of rapists being raped themselves, he definitely has a point. Like a parent would never raise a hand on his child, unless his parents hurt him when he was a child.

Dude, much of this is due to brain chemistry, not to conscious thoughts. Soldiers, for example, are some pretty tough motherfuckers. But because of the shit they see their minds get right fucked. You'd be hard pressed to tell a Marine Force Recon or a Navy SEAL that he just needs to toughen up and get over watching all of his buddies die or sitting there helplessly as insurgents attack and torture an entire village.

I said nothing about toughing up. I'm not saying that a person who was raped and has never resumed to have a normal life is a weak person. I'm just saying that in whatever happens to you in life there's a lesson to be learned, some people can see it, some people don't and that's that. If they want to take a medicine to erase traumas then so be it, I know that I wouldn't (although nothing horrible has never happened to me) but I know that a few people I know who were raped (like the friend I mentioned before), wouldn't want to take it either.