Lauren

Batman Vs. Superman

Who Pwns?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who Pwns?

• Superman
    • Batman

http://www.superdickery.com

All in all, Batman was cooler... but after reading that site, I'm going to lean towards Superman because he has actual superpowers, and... well he's hilarious when he's being a jackass.

1027_4_030.jpg

Seriously.

EDIT:

Actually, holy shit... they're both assholes.

216_4_195.jpg

Edited by apsham

The whole beauty with Batman is that he doesn't have actual superpowers but he's just as awesome. Plus, the whole Superman thing is just ridiculous, why don't people recognize him? Because he doesn't wear glasses and comb his hair? Silly!

I go with Batman for the sheer reason that he doesn't have any superpowers, but still is amazing. His reflexes, amazing mind and skills are all he used, but they got the job done. His one weakness is that he is mortal, but Superman has kryptonite as a weakness, and I think Batman always used to carry some around. Batman ftw!

Batman.  Come on.  Everything about Superman sucks.  Even his super powers aren't that cool, they are so basic and unimaginative.  He pisses me off.  Fly here, fly there.  Catch this, lift that.  Eat shit Superman.

Agreed. Even his name is the lamest there is.

Batman. Come on. Everything about Superman sucks. Even his super powers aren't that cool, they are so basic and unimaginative. He pisses me off. Fly here, fly there. Catch this, lift that. Eat shit Superman.

haha yeah i remember you saying when the new film came out that all superman does is lift things. it's too true. like others have noted, the way he keeps his identity a secret is so lame and outdated, too.

Superman's big problem is that he's uncreative. He's just TOO GOOD. His powers encompass far too much, and it leaves little room for cool villains. They either a) have kryptonite or b) have the exact same power(s) but are a little stronger in one area. It's boring.

Batman is intelligent. He researches, thinks, and uses stealth. Plus the villains in Batman are way cooler, especially Clayface. What a great story. (As far as villains though, X-Men still has the best variety.)

Superman has evolved...he is not the same character he was...and yes while he's "too good" he also has a conscience, and human desires...as they write him more mature...you see those factors.

|

Batman has an amazing Rogues Gallery, Joker, Rhas Al Ghul, Killer Croc, Bane, Firefly, Mr. Szas, Mr. Freeze etc...all with their own unique stories, like Clayface

And yes Owen you're right, The XMEN have the coolest villains.

the Shi-Ar, Phalanx, Onslaught, Apocalypse, The brotherhood Of Evil Mutants (though, if they believe that what they are doing is righteous, why call themselves evil mutants?) The Marauders, Sabertooth

Also, Juggernaut is a good guy now. He kicks a lot of ass as a good guy too.

I agree that the X-men villains are way cool, but I think that the Batman villains are superior in the ways that they work with helping understand the Batman character. With the Joker you have the constant moral dilemma about whether or not he should just kill him, and it's cool how he's the complete opposite to Batman, and the whole thing about how each is the other's driving force in life. Then there's Two Face, who tends to bring up issues of Batman's dual identity, and which is the real person. And with both of those you have the whole problem with Batman having a part in their creation in some way or another, and the guilt he has from in some ways being responsible for the things he's fighting. This same depth of meaning can be found in almost all of his villains, and I think it's what makes him not only more interesting and complex than Superman, but most comic book characters. It's what's going to make Batman last for a long time, and have 22nd century history students groaning the same we we groan about Beowulf or Gilgamesh today.

Also, as much as I love X-men villains, the Batman ones are much more creative and original. There's no cop out when it comes to origin stories, which is kind of the problem with mutant characters.

Look at all those words!

Edited by The_Rat_Who_Would_be_King

Eric: Fantastic post, and I pretty much agree with everything.

Personally I feel that the "origin" problem is what truly makes X-Men the best "superhero" franchise. I don't consider Batman a superhero, nor do most of his adversaries qualify as super villains. Which is why Batman is incredible; because it is believable and fantastic at the same time.

If you look at other comic books, it's all just radiation and experimentation gone awry. Fantastic 4 are cosmic radiation, the Hulk is a gamma ray explosion, Spider Man is a radioactive spider bite. With the X-Men, the beauty is that we actually see mutation all of the time in real life. It's just elegant in its simplicity and obvious nature. Plus it allows the potential to create a huge cast of characters, as well as examine some of the societal impacts of such a two-tiered system of humanity emerging so suddenly.

One of my favourite things about X-Men is how society reacts to mutants in general. Also, Magneto's rise as a Hitler-like figure always struck me as an amazing dichotomy considering his WW2 background as a concentration camp victim.

Edited by Prometheon

well, the whole story of mutants brings up racist undertones. The great thing about the X-men is that anyone and everyone can relate to them as a group who is persecuted against. I love the fact that somewhere out there, there is probably some white supremacist who loves the comics and thinks that people should leave the mutants alone, not realizing the fact that the mutants are essentially just like the people he is against. I think thats a big part of what makes the X comics work is the fact that it all boils down to racism and that is always a touchy issue.

I can see how you would call Magneto a "Hitler-like figure" but at the same time, i think that comparison is a bit unfair. Granted, Magneto believes that mutants are the "superior race" but I like to think he knows where to draw the line before doing anything TOO evil.

Meh, i think you're reading into the X-men too much and giving the characters and concept too much credit. I think Stan Lee was smart enough to know that it would be a pretty universal concept and that everyone from the racially to the socially oppressed could associate with the mutant story, I think as characters and as superheros it just limits them. You can only tell so many stories about mutant racism before it starts to be unrealistic and trite. It's like with Spider-man, how long does it take for people to realize he's the good guy? I know with mutants you've got the bad ones, but Dr. Doom doesn't make people not trust the Fantastic 4. I also think that the Social Darwinist super-villain was taken to much more interesting levels with Apocalypse, though with Magneto it's still interesting because of his personal history, and his character's compassion for all mutants. He's cool because he's not evil, or racist. He's like the mutant Malcolm X taken to the point of putting violent self-defense into action, which is interesting.

But I still think that mutant characters will always be too defined by their super powers and race, which is the same reason Superman is losing this poll.