juniorspank

Napoleon Dynamite.

Very avoidable. For the last few months I've been listening to everyone talk about this movie as if nothing funnier could ever exist in the universe. I haven't heard a single bad thing about it from anyone. So many people can't be wrong you'd think, turns out they not only can, but are. The movie is good for maybe only a chuckle or two, but given the 90 minute running-time..it's not worth it. All of the characters, themes, and comedy bits are tired and cliched. There's the typical high school scene, with the mean jocks, the pretty cheerleaders who look down on everyone else, the misunderstood nerd and a conveninetly-placed misunderstood nerdy girl, and of course the foreign exchange student. Because the movie wasn't long enough, they throw in a sub-plot with Napoleon's uncle selling tupperware and breast enhancers as a get-rich-quick scheme, he is helped out by Napoleon's older brother, a fruity nerd that's in love with a stereotypical black ghetto chick. Haha! What could be funnier or more original than stereotypical culture mismatch. Overall, the movie lacks a plot, and it's just not funny. Miserable.

Well since it's a comedy and all, I wasn't watching it with the hope of seeing some intricate plot or an engrossing story. But it didn't really have a story of any kind. It's more like a disjointed collection of unfunny stories that barely fit together to make sense. Although I could have over-looked that if the movie was really funny. But that wasn't the case either. Some comedies are funny because they're ridiculous and off-the-wall, others are smart and clever. This movie tries both at times but succeeds at neither. Wasn't sufficiently random or crazy to make one laugh, and not smart or clever enough either.

Didn't enjoy the movie, it just lacked anything i really look for in a movie. Character development is not even attempted, and a plot is more or less absent. There is a string of various sub plots, but these are really just in place to give an hour and a half or so of stream of as many possible teen catch phrases as they can try to pack in. The main character is always saying weird and outrageous things, and it's rather obvious that this is just an attempt to try to hook in a phrase or two that will catch on so that it can get word of mouth advertising (which, apparently worked). It has it's funny parts, but... like i said, not the type of thing i normally like.

Very avoidable. For the last few months I've been listening to everyone talk about this movie as if nothing funnier could ever exist in the universe. I haven't heard a single bad thing about it from anyone. So many people can't be wrong you'd think, turns out they not only can, but are. The movie is good for maybe only a chuckle or two, but given the 90 minute running-time..it's not worth it. All of the characters, themes, and comedy bits are tired and cliched. There's the typical high school scene, with the mean jocks, the pretty cheerleaders who look down on everyone else, the misunderstood nerd and a conveninetly-placed misunderstood nerdy girl, and of course the foreign exchange student. Because the movie wasn't long enough, they throw in a sub-plot with Napoleon's uncle selling tupperware and breast enhancers as a get-rich-quick scheme, he is helped out by Napoleon's older brother, a fruity nerd that's in love with a stereotypical black ghetto chick. Haha! What could be funnier or more original than stereotypical culture mismatch. Overall, the movie lacks a plot, and it's just not funny. Miserable.

I think it's pretty original. There's not too many movies where there's deliberately no real substantive plot other than a bunch of amusing shit that happens. This movie had the storyline depth of Lord of the Rings- (extremely non-existent) but they weren't trying to hide that. This movie is the antithesis of the majority of the movies that come out each year which end up sucking. Movies that are intended to be serious with elaborate original plots. I.e. (off the top of my head, recent movies Ive seen) Manchurian Candidate, King Aurthur, Born Identity...and the sequel.

It was just a movie about social outcasts. Napolean's character was funny, so were the rest of the characters. Take it for what it is.

To say the movie is good because it doesn't follow the conventions of having a story or a plot is like saying a new model of car is great because it has no engine. Sure it's different from what everyone else is doing, but certainly not better or even good. I guess my dislike stems from not only the fact that I didn't find it either funny or entertaining, but also that it really disappointed me as everyone assured me it would be the funniest film I'd ever see. Obviously it wasn't.