miss new wave

Canada For Asia

He said he's against it. He feels people should donate because people need help, not because the tragically hip are playing.

I think it's a bad stance to have... any money is good money to people who are starving. The only reason to shun such a thing would be if the production were eating up an obscene amount of it... which is possible...

But still... it's a good cause and it gets people out who don't normally donate to charity and maybe exposes them to a world they never wanted to see. If it helps, roll with it.

He said he's against it. He feels people should donate because people need help, not because the tragically hip are playing.

I'd like to see that quote, because if he actually said that, it's an incredibly ridiculous thing to say considering he fully supported that MG fan club some time ago (with all proceeds going to charity).

I can't find it... ah yes I can, I love the find feature, I keep forgetting about it.

Of course there are numerous benefit concerts being announced, two larger ones here in Canada that come to mind. Regarding them I have only this to say: Given that over 150,000 of your fellow human beings were killed in a matter of minutes (if not hours), and millions more are homeless and threatened by disease and starvation, it’s my opinion that you shouldn’t need to be entertained in exchange for your willingness to help them. Your willingness to help should be automatic and not require incentive. As for the performers - it is too easy to reap the benefits of such publicity without ever having to take real stands against other areas in which innocents are shuffled off. To protect sales mouths often remain closed. When the risk is removed suddenly everyone’s a philanthropist. It’s unfortunate

http://www.matthewgood.org/mblog/archive/2...01_archive.html

Type "philanthropist" into the search, first result.

Edited by MakesYouAWeapon

oye...why doesn't that surprise me?

*rolls eyes*

is that man never satisfied? why make a benefit such as this one look like a negative thing...?

yes, it's a little late, and people wanting to make donations have probably done so long ago... but every little bit helps.

Edited by miss new wave

I have to agree with Matt on this one. It's a good cause and yes, every little bit does help, but I see this as being nothing more than an excellent opportunity for a great gig and good PR. If they gave any more than two shits there would be a benifit concert for a different cause every week. Obviously some artists to express concern for their fellow human beings at times when it's not hip, Matt Good isn't unique in this regard, but I can't look at this concert as anything other than an opportunity for a few artists to feel good, look good, and yes, raise some money for the most popular dying people. If these artists really care, lets see them give a portion of all of their income to these charities, or invite red cross on tour with them.

I guess I can see both arguments...people should just stand up and help, but most don't. So if they do, because they get a signed CD, or a concert, then I would think that that's better than nothing. Though, it would be great to live in a world where it wasn't necessary to give people something in order for them to help others...

I agree.. I mean I can see the intention of the concert to be completely positive and good natured, but it's sad to think that people have become more willing to donate the extra dollars they probably said they didnt have previously, because of a concert. It's so true what he said, people are dying and starving, and yet so many people arent willing to do whatever they can.. unless there is some sort of reward. This isnt one of those lost dog ads, this is helping your fellow human beings..

In addition, I dont think Matt agrees with having to publicize one's good deeds, to gain public favour. It's obvious he has participated in assisting those in Southern Asia, but I commend that he does not feel the need to have to show it off. Not that I'm saying it's necessarily a bad thing in essence, as long as you're helping, but keeping the individual donations as the backstory, and the total contributed by the world as a whole ismore important.. and whether it can ever be enough.

It's not.

People should do a lot of things, but they don't. In response, you can do your best to make a difference (whether you reap any benefits from it or not is irrelevant, money is still being raised) or you can sit at your computer and cry about those who are actually doing something.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say the fact that he's ill is making him unable to think clearly.

How is the purpose behind this concert any different than earlier awareness concerts such as the Tibet ones hosted by the Beastie Boys?

Just because awareness and donation are accompanied by good PR and having the bands feel as though they've contributed something special to this tragedy doesn't discount the fact that the concert IS indeed raising awareness and relief efforts.

How about we put that spin on the many national contributions. Many countries were giving what they thought they could afford and many others might have been stingy. The fact that many countries were battling it out for top lump-sum and per capita donations does not matter a lick when compared to the millions of people the money will affect in a positive way.

Do you think the victims and families of victims of the tsunami are asking where the money came from and sneering at the one country because they only contributed $5.00 per capita while another country contributed $40.00 per capita?

Sorry, but I don't think so.

Regardless of the egos attached to a donation, in the end, it's still a donation that is going to help save lives and hopefully put in place countermeasures for future disasters.

Honestly, I'm a bit disheartened that Matt has a contradicting opinion on this matter considering he's quite a humanitarian.

matt's a hypocrit. His fans shouldn't need a rock-star's urgings in order to become part of Amnesty International.

Matt, just shut up and be happy that money is being raised for a great cause for people in dire need.

You know, sometimes people like & want to help, but they don't really know where to send their money and support. A person who moved to Canada 3 yeaers ago many not be aware of the Red Cross or Unicef. A televised concert like they had is a great way to provide an outlet for these people, and other Canadians who may be a bit ignorant on how to help.

As for the artists, maybe a few of them are doing it for good PR, but most of them just have good hearts and want to help out any way they can. Some TV exec just calls up a group like the Tragically Hip and asks them if they want to help out with the a concert/telethon like this, and most of them would be happy & honoured to help. Most of these musicians are honest, caring people who just wsnt to help out.

So what if a lot of these stars don't speak out on Bush etc. like Matt does. A lot of people hate it when celebs like Bruce Springsteen & Rosie O'Donnell etc. start preaching about politics. I don't blame celebs if they don't want to get involved. They are entertainers, not pundits. Matt, sometimes u just need to shut-up your cranky ass & look for the good things in life.

I see this as a prime example of greedy ambition selling some commercial spots in the name of the Tragedy de jour. It's still good, I just don't think Matt should be chastised for not wanting to be a part of that. I doubt this would have even happened if the powers that be werent going to make a few dollars on the side out of it, although obviously the majority of the money is going to a good cause.