denneymac

Help Matthew Good!

I'd have to assume he would be deciding who has access and who doesn't.

True but he doesn't know everyone that would like to or know what they are like.

But the rest of your ideas are pretty good.

Would you know how to set up any of that?

I found the Blog, [curiousity, grass is greener on the other side et al.] but I have no intention of viewing it in the future. It is a private blog, and that I believe should be respected. I like to liken Matthew Good as a musical Noam Chomsky and as much as it is interesting, unless we are invited, it's none of our fucking business.

Well, the question is, would you like to?

well i completely understand his desire to keep it private... it is just unfortunate that some people won't get to be a part of it...this is the extent of my protest...what makes one fan more eligible than the next... is there criteia? if so how do i go about meeting it? i dunno. There are lots of us who have innocent intentions and who may not even comment at all on the blog but just want to keep ourselves updated....should i feel guilty if i sneak a peek here and there?? innocent.gif

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. I see your point and see it valid. I constantly viewed the old MBlog, but never once posted any comments on his posts. I didn't get an invite... Probably because I never posted. I found the website earlier today and plan on visiting it like I did the old MBlog. I don't plan on giving the new address out to anybody.

One thing I did notice is that if you do choose to post comments, you have to sign up through Blogger. This can be a very good thing as this service can eliminate any idiots that may pollute this new site.

well i completely understand his desire to keep it private... it is just unfortunate that some people won't get to be a part of it...this is the extent of my protest...what makes one fan more eligible than the next... is there criteia? if so how do i go about meeting it? i dunno. There are lots of us who have innocent intentions and who may not even comment at all on the blog but just want to keep ourselves updated....should i feel guilty if i sneak a peek here and there?? innocent.gif

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. I see your point and see it valid. I constantly viewed the old MBlog, but never once posted any comments on his posts. I didn't get an invite... Probably because I never posted. I found the website earlier today and plan on visiting it like I did the old MBlog. I don't plan on giving the new address out to anybody.

One thing I did notice is that if you do choose to post comments, you have to sign up through Blogger. This can be a very good thing as this service can eliminate any idiots that may pollute this new site.

I mean I think he probably has it under control.

Edited by guitarchick

I don't believe he went out and invited "fans" to the new blog. It sounds he only invited the "fans" that he's met and knows personally: people more accurately called "friends".

I would wager that 95% or more of the people who read his blog before today weren't invited. And now maybe even more.

I'm just curious as to why anyone felt the need to mention that it existed.

Anyway, I think he was already aware of how people had found out about it. So I'm hoping in the back of my mind that he won't mind people invading so long as its civil.

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for the thing to disappear again.

Edited by uglyredhonda

You know what, if he's making a blog he wants people to read it. Yes, he'd probably like only the fans to see it or whatever, but the internet isn't private. I kept my mouth shut but I don't think there's a point anymore.

Someone made the comment about respecting his wishes and not reading it. I think that's missing the point. He doesn't want people to stay away, he just wants the assholes to stay away.

There are people who have nothing better to do than bug him because of his views. If anything, he can just take away the comments and email as he's done in the past.

It's not hard to find the new blog, in fact it's really easy. So let's just realize that he's putting it out there for people to read, and hopefully he can just ignore the shit. If not, then it'll go down again and that's that. If he didn't want people to read it, he wouldn't put it up. Simple.

You know what, if he's making a blog he wants people to read it.  Yes, he'd probably like only the fans to see it or whatever, but the internet isn't private.  I kept my mouth shut but I don't think there's a point anymore.

Someone made the comment about respecting his wishes and not reading it.  I think that's missing the point.  He doesn't want people to stay away, he just wants the assholes to stay away.

There are people who have nothing better to do than bug him because of his views.  If anything, he can just take away the comments and email as he's done in the past.

It's not hard to find the new blog, in fact it's really easy.  So let's just realize that he's putting it out there for people to read, and hopefully he can just ignore the shit.  If not, then it'll go down again and that's that.  If he didn't want people to read it, he wouldn't put it up.  Simple.

wtf pearanoid I'm agreeing with you what is happening.

hahaha.

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for the thing to disappear again.

I hope he has a better plan because that isn't going to solve anything.

Edited by guitarchick

Here's a thought: form your own opinions and start your own bloody blog.

About what, exactly?

After posting here for the last 3 days it appears to me that a large number of people rely heavily on Matthew Good to instruct them on various world matters. More specifically, what to think about those matters.

Thats bullshit.  If that was true, he would just send emails, rather than put it on the web.

I disagree with that entirely.

Say I took a batch of MP3s, an album I was working on, and stuffed them in a directory, then sent that link to five friends asking them to check them out. Would I expect those files to be "public", just because they were on the internet? If I didn't tell anyone else, why would I need to password protect the directory?

And doing a "blog by email" isn't the same thing. That's pretty much requiring people to read your writing and look at your pictures, rather than simply giving them the option.

Private blog = Friends-only LiveJournal. I can't see much of a difference here, save that there isn't any obvious way (that I'm aware of, though I'm an MT user) to password protect a Blogger blog.

We can't assume he intended to eventually make the thing public. It became "public" for reasons that weren't intentional, even if (I assume) he knew about them.

Edited by uglyredhonda

About what, exactly?

After posting here for the last 3 days it appears to me that a large number of people rely heavily on Matthew Good to instruct them on various world matters. More specifically, what to think about those matters.

Some might but not all.

I personally, would rather use Matthew as a guide to my own opinions about the situations.

It is hard to make up your own thoughts on the issues when all your high school buddies could care less about discussing it with you.

by that I mean you really need a teacher and then people to share their ideas so you can make up your own thoughts on the subject.

Edited by guitarchick

The most secure thing he could do is provide those people invited to see his blog with unique usernames and passwords. Any account that abuses the blog could easily be removed.

Not sure how feasable this would be though.

It's possible, but it probably costs more to do it that way. Daily Kos uses that system to keep trollers away.

you first, kiddo

I'm not bitching about the deletion of his blog or my exclusion from his new one am i?

am i?

I was referring to those who have their panties in a knot now that Matt has decided to stop sharing every single thought that pops into his head.

fraid not, i dont really care what his views are on the state of the world

hes just a man like anyone else, hes not some crazy all knowing god or anything

Alright so basically thats all I was saying. We seem to agree.

I respect his opinion, I don't think I will have a problem living without it however.

Thats bullshit.  If that was true, he would just send emails, rather than put it on the web.

I disagree with that entirely.

Say I took a batch of MP3s, an album I was working on, and stuffed them in a directory, then sent that link to five friends asking them to check them out. Would I expect those files to be "public", just because they were on the internet? If I didn't tell anyone else, why would I need to password protect the directory?

And doing a "blog by email" isn't the same thing. That's pretty much requiring people to read your writing and look at your pictures, rather than simply giving them the option.

Private blog = Friends-only LiveJournal. I can't see much of a difference here, save that there isn't any obvious way (that I'm aware of, though I'm an MT user) to password protect a Blogger blog.

We can't assume he intended to eventually make the thing public. It became "public" for reasons that weren't intentional, even if (I assume) he knew about them.

The internet is public. You password-protect something on the internet for the same reason you have a PIN number on your debit card.