Dan #2

Is Conscience Just Empathy?

To address the original post question, I believe it depends.

Excercising your conscience and your empathy can be different. I'm temped to say that all conscienceness is empathy, but not all empathy is conscience.

When deciding whether to commit a specific deed against someone, yes, you have been socially conditioned to believe it is universally 'wrong.' But when examining why society has chosen to teach us this you realise that it's because it hurts other people! Thus empathy has been engraiend into the collective conscience (read your Durkheim) of society.

Then why do people do things that are considered wrong?

Why are children taught that violence is bad when those adults themselves would have no problem throwing a few punches around? Or sending other people to do those punches for them?

Sometimes, I can't stand being a pacifist. Violence just isn't a solution to a problem. And all these guys that like to call themselves "manly" would consider me a pussy for thinking that we have better things to do than beat the shit out of each other. I'm still opinionated and I'd have no problem telling someone where to shove something, and I'd have no problem defending either myself or someone else if the situation called for it. But when does the situation call for it, and why the hell did it reach the point of throwing punches in the first place? Because the two people were either asking for it, or one person was far too eager to start hitting someone.

People are idiots. That's what I've learned.

Sometimes, I can't stand being a pacifist.  Violence just isn't a solution to a problem.  And all these guys that like to call themselves "manly" would consider me a pussy for thinking that we have better things to do than beat the shit out of each other.

i think it's attractive. there are people at my school (i don't know if this is common or if it's just because i have a high concentration of stupid people around me) that here that so-and-so wants to fight them and even if they have nothing against that person, they'll fight them anyways for no reason. and it's usually just through rumours. the oppontents never speak about the fight until the fight happens. and it's almost always guys doing the fighting. if girls fight, word spreads like rapid fire. i can see where this originated (apes fighting for leadership) but all that fighting proves is someone got lucky. it can in no way prove anything.

edit: i think pacifism is attractive.

Edited by Lauren

Say i'm going to punch Satty, and i do not know him.

Am i not punching him because it's been instilled in me that this is wrong, or am i not punching him because i know that being punched hurts?

you're not going to punch me because i am fucking awesomez0rz.

and i'll fucking break you.

Aren't you like 90 pounds?

they're both tlike 90 lbs

it would be a CATFIGHT!!!

we should sell tickets and totally pocket all profits

Am i not punching him because it's been instilled in me that this is wrong, or am i not punching him because i know that being punched hurts?

145, actually

145, actually

twelve pounds don't mean shit when you've got my ADD and overractive colon.