sodamntired

I was writing a cheque and putting the date 09/09/07, when I realized something that I haven't thought twice about.

It is 2007. 2007. Now I want the older posters (born in the 80's and earlier) to go back to when you were younger and think about who you were and what you thought the 2000's would look like.

for me, 2007 back then would hold flying cars and space travel. I'm still waiting to adopt my robo-pet.

do you consider 2007 to be "the future?"

in many ways it is. things that I'd see on Star Tren TNG when I was a kid have been invented and improved upon to some degree. things that 25 years ago couldn't even be possible are common and hum drum now.

imagine, 1984, you want to listen to music while you jog, you'd need a walkman, your shitty headphones and whatever tapes (or mix tapes) you wanted to listen to. now, you can bring your entire collection of CDs and DVD (something no one had in 1984) with you on something aroundthe same size as the cassettes that you would've been listening to in your walkman.

it's pretty amazing stuff

the reason i started this thread is because I have experiencing a of nostalgia/looking back.

23, almost 24 is way too young to be looking back at the days of renting VHS tapes and DOS computers with floppy discs, that were real floppy discs. remember the big black one's?

this was triggered by two events at work. The first was a question I asked the cashiers, something to pass the time when we're not ringing up guests. What would your life be like if you didn't have the internet? a girl responded, "I can't even remember my life without the internet..." yeah, well, i can.

the second was a wolman and her son were in my line. she told her son that something me and her were talking about was old. he asked her, "old? like from the 90's?"

ugh.

I remember when we had the internet but I was too young to go on it (My parents are both computer programmers, so we had the internet before you had to pay for it.)

But yeah, I can remember playing DOS games. Actually, I still play some DOS games...

And I never particularly looked to the future

there was a time when you turned on your computer and you weren't greeted with the Window/Mac logo, you had a black screen that said C:

so you'd pop in the floppy disc and type

C:run.exe or whatever you had to type to get your copy of Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego

i'm making myself sound older than I am.

Edited by sodamntired

there was a time when you turned on your computer and you weren't greeted with the Window/Mac logo, you had a black screen that said C:

so you'd pop in the floppy disc and type

C:run.exe or whatever you had to type to get your copy of Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego

i'm making myself sound older than I am.

I remember that, coz my parents had a game on the computer where I typed in my name there and then the game popped up.

Ahhh, that good old (educational) ABC game...

as people have mentioned... i remember going to the library and playing oregon trail on a commodore 64 (i actually never played, i just watched my older sister and her friends). those were shit.

as meg said.. i don't think we can get to the future. we're just perpectual forward progession.

my biggest fear is flying cars. specifically, random, aging, senile baby boomer assholes in flying cars.

if they ever made flying cars, the rules and regulations would be so strict. it's like flying a mini-plane. they'd have to change the laws.