Blighty

The Audio Of Being

I always got a weird vibe from this album, as if it stood out from the rest for some reason and I can't really say why.

Anyway, great album. Like most people, I find it hard to rank Matt's albums because they tend to float around.

I wish I had the link for this, but I read/saw video of him describing that time period as one where certain people were more concerned about songwriting royalties and such, more than anything else, and I think the band had become more of a business to some. I'm paraphrasing here, really.

I know he also mentioned writing the majority of the album in a hotel/motel and spending most of that time throwing up and barely keeping anything down, so I guess the album as a whole might trigger some bad memories, between that and the band falling apart and such, even though there wound up being some truly great songs on it, such as Police Cars, Tripoli, Carmelina, Protest Song, etc.

Anti-Pop was always funny to me because it was almost like his middle finger, if you will, to labels wanting these hit songs on albums, and I think he did a great job of intentionally writing such a poppy song, if you will. It is a catchy song though.

I just looked at a wiki page for AOB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Audio_of_Being

Not sure how accurate any of those quotes are, especially the one at the bottom regarding Anti-Pop.

I also don't remember him ever playing Anti-Pop live, but I could be wrong. I just checked youtube and couldn't find anything.

In the end, it's a great album, but there seems to be some stories behind/around it for sure.

The recording of this album was reported to be very stressful for all members of the band. Guitarist Dave Genn referred to the process as "taking a long and painful shit", however people always misquote Dave when he says this. This quote was referring to the process of making ANY record, not specifically the making of the Audio of Being Good. [1] Front-man Matthew Good was very ill during much of the sessions[citation needed]. The tension between the band continued to grow and even caused Genn to leave the band only to return a short time later. Ultimately, the band reached the breaking point shortly after the album's release and parted ways, although Rich Priske stayed on as the bassist for Matthew Good's subsequent solo career. Although it is widely believed that the band breaking up was a turbulent and almost violent occurrence, Matthew Good has stated[citation needed] that, although it was less than amicable, it was not nearly as bad as the rumors suggested.

the dave genn quote can be heard in the audio of being special from much music. iirc matt also mentioned during the 2 part ongoing history of new music special that dave decided to go work on holly mcnarland's album, postponing work on audio of being and increasing tension within the band.

Definitely my favourite Matt Good album, and probably my favourite album from anyone. Every song is amazing, the exceptions being Anti-Pop which is only okay and I, the Throw Away which I have never liked. Advertising is my favourite song, but that changes every so often.

Edited by rebellious_L

You're ridiculous with that post. Pull your tongue out of his bum cheeks.

The fans are allowed to talk about songs they want to hear. This is an Audio of Being thread, it is the first track of the album and it's one that has never been played. We know he doesn't have to play them or anything, for that matter. But we can still talk about it. That's what fans do.

They discuss all things Matthew Good. Nobody is begging. Just discussing on a forum.

Edited by here is no why