Guest Bimbly

Vinyl Of Lights Doesn't Come With An Mp3 Download.

Guest Bimbly

Almost every LP does nowadays. Didn't see it on advertised on the front, bought it in blind faith that it'd come with the 320kbps download. So, warning to suckers who might be buying this thinking they'd be getting the album to listen to on their Ipod as well. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Wasn't Matt ranting about people blatantly downloading his music right in front of his face? Be a little discreet, at least out of respect for the guy. Either that, or shell out $10 for the iTunes download.

Guest Bimbly

I paid 30 dollars for the LP. The only person getting robbed was me. Just kidding, but I can't see the man taking issue with this. Itunes doesn't offer 320 mp3s.

I bought the LP, the CD, and the iTunes download... so I do not consider your reasoning valid.

The fact that you'd buy 3 formats of the same album makes me question your reasoning as well. We could play this game all day. The point is, we still support Matt's music with purchases and I will be seeing him on tour. Whether or not maplemusic or whoever publishes his LP's chooses to include a digital download is their own decision. I do not feel guilty at all "pirating" his record when I've already spent $60 on this album.

I don't get why anyone would take issue with this. If you buy the cd, for example, you may decide to rip it so you can also have it on your mp3 player. I don't think you should have to buy it again to get a digital version and people buy cds and rip them to their mp3 players all the time. Or am I missing something?

Guest Bimbly

I agree, Manc. I always make a point to purchase albums I enjoy, but I normally can't rationalize buying it multiple times. In the end, MG would make most (if not basically all) of his money touring. Maybe he cooked up a decent deal with Universal to make money on album sales, but that's generally not the case. Either way, I bought the record and will likely purchase a ticket to see MG live on his next tour. I've done my part to support the man (MG *and* the ubiquitous "man")

Edited by Bimbly

I really don't think MG would have any problem with this as long as you bought the album like Bimbly did and don't distribute it to anyone as Crusader said. Maybe ask Matt what he thinks if anyone is actually concerned.

I should clarify that I buy the CD since I like having a CD (I got pre signed copy, if I had missed that I would have waited until next time he was on tour). I buy LP's as a collector. Since I don't live in Canada right now, and won't actually see the CD for a few months (I shipped it to my parents) I bought the iTunes version.

That being said, you can still rip an LP if you are sufficiently motivated. I don't see an issue with people converting CD's to another digital medium, but I don't see a reason why a producer should be required to provide you with all the mediums you desire.

I'll add my five cents here...

As far as I'm concerned, if I have bought a record, there should be at the very least an MP3 version (or preferably lossless FLAC version) made available at no extra charge. I know the vinyl release costs more to make than the CD but to offer a voucher allowing fans to download some electronic form is not only fair but really costs nothing extra. My opinion is that as long as you own the record, you should be entitled to a digital version -- and, as it was already mentioned, just don't share it with others who haven't bought it.

I agree with Saturnine... it's the end of the world.

So this really boils down to a simple question. Why do you think you bought? It's tricker that it appears. Most of the "should include a download" crowd seem to be in the camp (though seemingly implicitly) that they have bought a license own and listen to the music. This is much the model that iTunes (and other electronic music vendors work on) it is also why you can use their music on multiple devices without a problem.

Those of us in the "no reason why they would" crowd seem to be believe that all you bought was the physical object, be that a shiny piece of plastic or a dull piece of plastic.

The part that gets interesting to me is that both seem to be a little correct. When you buy music you do inherently buy a right to use. That right does not however extend to a requirement to provide. So if you bought the piece of plastic (shiny or not) the license allows you to convert it to other mediums (rip to your computer). As I said before, you can in fact do this with a vinyl. However, the provider is under no requirement to provide you with any digital format (loss less or not).

I really don't think they should be either. It's silly. It's the equivalent of saying I bought this hardcover original of a book in chinese, but since I don't speak chinese I expect them to provide me an ebook english version. Or even more basically: I bought this physical book, I should get an ebook version for free. The conjecture is the same. Your computer doesn't speak vinyl so you for some reason think that means that the publisher should give you the translation. It doesn't make sense.

If you can't read chinese don't by a book in chinese. If you want a digital copy, don't by one your digital machine can't understand.

Jesus guys it's up in FLAC on Demonoid. If you have an aversion to good sound quality, you can take it and convert it to something lossy.

To people that bought the album on 5 different formats and think they've done some good deed, you're idiotic.

Stealing is stealing. So we're really debating the finer points of "Fair Use".

As I said, I bought multiple formats because of where I am located.

I'm not even going to touch the whole lossless vs lossy issue...