adam_777

MGB Footage

Thanks again for the heads up, Adam. Really looking forwards to it ? Aside from material of the early days of the band being so rare, to my knowledge the only video that exists of Geoff performing with them is the Mike Bullard performance of Indestructible, and that is a shame given what he brought to the table. He was such a unique, skilled, inventive, soulful and talented bass player. 

Edited by daniel_v

3 hours ago, PlasticSoldier said:

And the videos are now live on my site ?

http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/downloads-video.php

The first 5 videos on the page are the newly added ones, with the awesomeness of the first video being the entire performance of Sharks Of Downtown!
I did create an MP3 of the song from the video. linked on the main page (http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/) as well as on the audio downloads page

I have been waiting since 2001, ever since I saw a clip of it on the MMM Bio, to hear Sharks and this interview. The other stuff looks f***ing great too. Something from the The Town Pump? Seriously?! Sweeeeeeeet sweetness!!! Hahahahaha!!!

I'm downloading all of it as I type this and am as giddy as a school girl right now ?

Honestly haven't been this excited for something in a loooong time ?

Thank you so much, all of you- Chad, Adam, and Sue. This means mountains to me. 

Edit- My brain just exploded. I can not believe I just watched a live performance of Native Son. F***CKING NATIVE.SON! I honestly don't think I can process that. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Seeing the entire band that young is something else. I never thought I'd get to see a live video performance of a song from that album. That was indescribably glorious. 

Sharks was bloody awesome too. Very reminiscent of his Pre-MGB songs (especially the lyrical performance). I don't know why they decided to play that that day too but I'm so glad they did! 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
8 hours ago, daniel_v said:

Thank you so much, all of you- Chad, Adam, and Sue. 

That goes double for me. That live version of She's Got a New Disguise was absolutely amazing. I hope Matt and the band play that song live in future. Geoff's live guitar playing sounded great. I've never heard it so clear before. Matt sure looked young with so many different hairstyles. I enjoyed watching the videos. They were very interesting. 

It's wonderful that decades can go by and it's still possible to unearth a treasure like this.  The amount of effort to obtain this from the Lloyd family and digitize it is no small feat and a gigantic thank you to everyone involved.  This is a gem for all of us, and as MG said in the "Sharks of Downtown" video, he created classic rock of the future and here we are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I shot and put together the piece from the Rogers Cable video (Coquitlam 1998). I was then a 17 year old camera guy who used this as an excuse to go to the show and interview him (I was a rabid fan).

After I spoke with their manager, Frank, on the phone (nice guy), I was surprisingly given the approval to shoot the show and talk with Matthew afterwards. 

I never had thought that anyone would see it (Rogers was a public access channel) and it was my one and only time acting as interviewer, because for me, it was a godawful experience but it was well worth it. I can't believe that it actually resurfaced on the internet over 20 years later.

The Show was fantastic, they were truly a very tight band. It's a shame they never got the attention, respect, or success that they deserved. 

Geoff was a fantastic player, played great at this show, and it's a goddamn shame he is no longer when us. 

Thanks for bringing back the memories of my foolish fantasy of being a MuchMusic cameraman!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:38 AM, Barfnuts said:

I shot and put together the piece from the Rogers Cable video (Coquitlam 1998). I was then a 17 year old camera guy who used this as an excuse to go to the show and interview him (I was a rabid fan).

After I spoke with their manager, Frank, on the phone (nice guy), I was surprisingly given the approval to shoot the show and talk with Matthew afterwards. 

I never had thought that anyone would see it (Rogers was a public access channel) and it was my one and only time acting as interviewer, because for me, it was a godawful experience but it was well worth it. I can't believe that it actually resurfaced on the internet over 20 years later.

The Show was fantastic, they were truly a very tight band. It's a shame they never got the attention, respect, or success that they deserved. 

Geoff was a fantastic player, played great at this show, and it's a goddamn shame he is no longer when us. 

Thanks for bringing back the memories of my foolish fantasy of being a MuchMusic cameraman!

Wow thank you for this story, actually I love stories like this, like Jeff Stein with The Who, just a fan who somehow got himself into a position to basically be working for the band.  Very cool you not only got to see the show, but video it and interview Matt as well, must have been a very exciting time.  Do you have any of this footage still, or do you know what became of it? I am assuming you shot the whole gig? Its some amazing footage of MGB in their prime with the original line up and there is so little footage of that era of the band.  If more exists the small audience here would be incredibly grateful to see more of it, please feel free to get in touch if you have any of this left! 

Thanks for posting! 

• Like 1

For certain reasons, I can't provide footage from the show. 

However, I have uploaded one track from the show as an unlisted video on YouTube for the members of this board. Please do not circulate or share this link outside of this forum. 

Haven't Slept In Years -

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barfnuts said:

However, I have uploaded one track from the show as an unlisted video on YouTube for the members of this board. Please do not circulate or share this link outside of this forum. 

Haven't Slept In Years -

Cheers

wow thanks so much for posting that, too bad you aren't able to share the entire thing but I can certainly understand.  What was the setlist for the show? There is so little information about shows from that era so even knowing what the setlist was would be amazing.  Also thanks again so much not just for sharing this but for taking the time to film it all in the first place.  

a request for other members to please respect the posters wishes not to share elsewhere, I know some people like to get this stuff up on youtube, but lets be grateful for what has been shared here, and keep it here as requested.  

• Upvote 1

This was the set list from the May 8th Coquitlam show:

1 - My Out Of Style Is Coming Back

2 - Strangest One Of All

3 - Haven't Slept In Years

4 - Apparitions

5 - Everything Is Automatic

6 - Raygun

7 - Deep Six

8 - Prime Time Deliverance

9 - Look Happy, It's The End Of The World

10 - Rico

11 - Generation X-Wing

12 - Indestructible 

13 - Symbolistic White Walls

14 - Invasion 1

There was also a brief cover of Thunderstruck in between one of the songs above (about 30 seconds of it - before they stopped and Matt said "That's about all we know from that one").

For the encore, it was: 

1 - The Inescapable Us

2 - Middle Class Gangsters

3 - Alabama Motel Room

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Barfnuts said:

2 - Strangest One Of All

4 - Apparitions

6 - Raygun

7 - Deep Six

10 - Rico

11 - Generation X-Wing

12 - Indestructible 

14 - Invasion 1

There was also a brief cover of Thunderstruck in between one of the songs above (about 30 seconds of it - before they stopped and Matt said "That's about all we know from that one").

For the encore, it was: 

1 - The Inescapable Us

3 - Alabama Motel Room

That's incredible.  Geoff said before he passed that the band had played all the songs off Underdogs live at least once, pretty amazing that they played all of them except Change of Season in this one show.  Thats a pretty cool and unique setlist, especially since once Beautiful Midnight came in many of those songs were dropped and never played again by Matt with the band or solo.  Its kind of amazing to me that more fan shot MGB footage isnt out there because of how big they were at the time, but any of that material was probably long ago forgotten or disposed of, long before sites like youtube became prominent and easy for people to upload material.  

I really loved this footage when I first saw the snippets of it because its a fixed angle shot from a distance so you can experience it like you were actually at the concert.  In addition you can usually see the whole band and the energy in the crowd too...yet its not so distant that you feel like you can barely see the band.  Its a really great angle to capture this show and very different from the extreme close up and numberous cut method that was popular for MUCH proshot broadcasts at the time.  Also this view allows you to focus on individual band members more, where close ups usually restrict you to watching the more photogenic band members more than the others.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, adam_777 said:

That's incredible.  Geoff said before he passed that the band had played all the songs off Underdogs live at least once, pretty amazing that they played all of them except Change of Season in this one show.  Thats a pretty cool and unique setlist, especially since once Beautiful Midnight came in many of those songs were dropped and never played again by Matt with the band or solo.  Its kind of amazing to me that more fan shot MGB footage isnt out there because of how big they were at the time, but any of that material was probably long ago forgotten or disposed of, long before sites like youtube became prominent and easy for people to upload material.  

I really loved this footage when I first saw the snippets of it because its a fixed angle shot from a distance so you can experience it like you were actually at the concert.  In addition you can usually see the whole band and the energy in the crowd too...yet its not so distant that you feel like you can barely see the band.  Its a really great angle to capture this show and very different from the extreme close up and numberous cut method that was popular for MUCH proshot broadcasts at the time.  Also this view allows you to focus on individual band members more, where close ups usually restrict you to watching the more photogenic band members more than the others.  

Thank you for the kind comments. I guess I just shot it the way that I would have looked around with my eyes if I wasn't using a camera. 

Admittedly though - most of that footage was almost full-zoom anyway - I was pretty far back and high up. I can't remember exactly where I shot from (it wasn't in the arena seating area, i think it was some rickety platform meant for service techs or something. 

I now recall - I sat behind my camera waiting for the main show to start. The stage and arena were pretty much bathed in darkness ... Everything was fine - people were just milling around, talking, the normal pre-show stuff. 

Then, with no warning, the Imperial March from Star Wars just starts blasting over the loudspeakers. One-by-one the band filed in on the still-darkened stage, and with a simple "Hey, how's everybody doin' - Let's get right to the point, yeah?" from Matt, the lights come up and they immediately break into My Out Of Style.

Well. F Me. Immediate chaos. For the first third of the song, there were so many people going crazy in this place that the structure of whatever surface I was set up on was fluctuating to an almost comical degree - making the footage look like the band were playing through a major earthquake just ignoring it. It was almost as if the entire crowd had their brains swapped with apes and then injected with a near-fatal dose of adrenaline shot all at once, all at the same time. 

Those crazy kids right?? Lol

It's unfortunate that the audio quality is a bit lacking - the FOH guy gave me a wireless feed and he obviously wasn't very adept because he red-lined the crap out if it. I had a shotgun microphone on the camera so I used that to try and tone down the mix but it crapped out for half the show too which is unfortunate. 

One other notable tidbit was from Matt, right before they ended the encore with Alabama Motel Room. He said: "I want to thank everyone for coming out tonight. And I'll tell you one thing - out of everything I might do from now until the end of f*cking time, I'll probably remember tonight more than anything, so thanks a lot".

If only we could go back in time, eh?

Cheers,

Travis 

Edited by Barfnuts
Forgot punctuation somewhere because I'm an idiot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Barfnuts said:

Thank you for the kind comments. I guess I just shot it the way that I would have looked around with my eyes if I wasn't using a camera. 

Admittedly though - most of that footage was almost full-zoom anyway - I was pretty far back and high up. I can't remember exactly where I shot from (it wasn't in the arena seating area, i think it was some rickety platform meant for service techs or something. 

I now recall - I sat behind my camera waiting for the main show to start. The stage and arena were pretty much bathed in darkness ... Everything was fine - people were just milling around, talking, the normal pre-show stuff. 

Then, with no warning, the Imperial March from Star Wars just starts blasting over the loudspeakers. One-by-one the band filed in on the still-darkened stage, and with a simple "Hey, how's everybody doin' - Let's get right to the point, yeah?" from Matt, the lights come up and they immediately break into My Out Of Style.

Well. F Me. Immediate chaos. For the first third of the song, there were so many people going crazy in this place that the structure of whatever surface I was set up on was fluctuating to an almost comical degree - making the footage look like the band were playing through a major earthquake just ignoring it. It was almost as if the entire crowd had their brains swapped with apes and then injected with a near-fatal dose of adrenaline shot all at once, all at the same time. 

Those crazy kids right?? Lol

It's unfortunate that the audio quality is a bit lacking - the FOH guy gave me a wireless feed and he obviously wasn't very adept because he red-lined the crap out if it. I had a shotgun microphone on the camera so I used that to try and tone down the mix but it crapped out for half the show too which is unfortunate. 

One other notable tidbit was from Matt, right before they ended the encore with Alabama Motel Room. He said: "I want to thank everyone for coming out tonight. And I'll tell you one thing - out of everything I might do from now until the end of f*cking time, I'll probably remember tonight more than anything, so thanks a lot".

If only we could go back in time, eh?

Cheers,

Travis 

Really appreciate hearing your recollection of the show.  There are a very limited amount of audio bootlegs floating around from the 1998-2001 period and most of them seem to be recorded with mini disc's which you can imagine doesn't exactly create a high fidelity recording.  What they do capture though is the insanity of which you speak.  There are moments where the crowd is going absolutely bonkers and sometimes at moments that dont seem to be anything particularly special, so we're left to only speculate as to what was happening at that point in the show to cause such a reaction, without video, and with so few people around who actually saw MGB in their prime the details are lost to time.  Still as rough as some of those recordings are they are treasured by a few of us here because they are our only access to an incredible, and as you pointed out earlier, very tight band that just doesn't exist anymore. 

For someone like myself who was 10 when this Coquitlam concert took place, I just never had the chance to see this band, so there has always been a little bit of a mystique about it, especially when the bootlegs show how amazing they were performance wise and how enthusiastic the crowds were.  So your footage might give the best example of what it was really like to be there at one of these concerts, the fact it was a hometown show in Coquitlam is pretty cool in and of itself.  As for your concerns over the audio, while it may not be pro quality, what I have heard of it is very enjoyable and far above the fidelity of the bootlegs, and since so little pro material is available from this period of the bands existence it's probably the best there is.  

Very interesting about the wireless feed being red lined, that must have been frustrating! Still the song samples i've heard and the entire Haven't Slept in Years sound just great to me, but perhaps I've spent so long with the bootlegs anything that doesnt sound like it was recorded through a pair of tin cans from the back of the arena sounds like some form of audible chocolate to these ears haha!  

I was wondering where exactly you had filmed this, the view definitely is from a high angle, and I figured that angle would be achievable in a large double decked arena like Rogers Arena, but obviously that's not what this venue in Coquitlam was, so I figured you had to be damn near strapped to the ceiling.  That camera is pretty impressive to record such clear visuals from that distance over 20 years ago.  It's interesting you can see a guy right up front filming with a camera as well, backing up my theory that there was probably tons of footage shot of this band over the years, but there just isn't much demand for that kind of thing to be dug up and released unfortunately.  It's one of those situations where to the people that care about it, it would mean everything, but its such a small audience who would care these days that there just isn't really a commercial angle to release something like an archive MGB video/album.  It's a shame when you see just how incredible some of these performances were.  That whole 90's Can Rock movement really was a special and enthusiastic scene, as a kid I kind of thought it would have more longevity than it did, within a matter of years it was over and most of the audience had moved on, but these kinds of videos are perfect time capsule and something I've always been incredibly grateful for when someone out of the blue posts something like this.  Every time I see footage like this it feels like I'm a little bit closer to understanding just what all those people on those bootleg recordings were shouting so frantically about.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adam_777 said:

wow thanks so much for posting that, too bad you aren't able to share the entire thing but I can certainly understand.  What was the setlist for the show? There is so little information about shows from that era so even knowing what the setlist was would be amazing.  Also thanks again so much not just for sharing this but for taking the time to film it all in the first place.  

a request for other members to please respect the posters wishes not to share elsewhere, I know some people like to get this stuff up on youtube, but lets be grateful for what has been shared here, and keep it here as requested.  

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Pretty much agree with everything Adam has already said, I will just add my 'thank you' as well.  This is amazing stuff to watch.  It may be one of the first audience-like recorded videos of the band I have seen.  Would be a dream to see this in full.  If anything ever changes and this can be shared to this small community, please let us know!  When I first clicked on it, I did not think it would be that well shot.  Here's a congratulations on a job well done from over 20 years ago! Thanks again

Whoa!! I've been gone for awhile in Qatar on a work assignment and come back to this!!! Amazing.  To the poster  I'l throw down $100 to your paypal acct right now and promise not to distribute to youtube  for a copy of the full vid.  Must hear Inescapable US live before I die. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, Barfnuts said:

Haven't Slept In Years -

Cheers

Dude...thank you...so much.

This means more than words can express to a lot of us who have been fans since the MGB days. That you would dig this up and take the time to upload it/share it with us is truly a gift. I mean that. This is literally the only live performance of HSIY that exists on youtube that I am aware of. That's not to mention the fact that- like Adam mentioned- there is so little live footage of the band from this time period (especially Geoff). 

I'll echo Adam's reiteration that we all respect Travis's wish and not share this outside The Bored. We're lucky to have even this and- aside from the fact that it would be disrespectful to him after he asked us not to- we don't want it taken down from Youtube if some big wig decides this is copyright infringement or some other bullshit. 

Again, Travis, "thank you". 

Edited by daniel_v

On 11/9/2019 at 10:00 PM, Barfnuts said:

2 - Strangest One Of All

4 - Apparitions

6 - Raygun

7 - Deep Six

10 - Rico

11 - Generation X-Wing

12 - Indestructible 

14 - Invasion 1

For the encore, it was: 

1 - The Inescapable Us

3 - Alabama Motel Room

Also, thanks for sharing this and your story about your time filming it/interviewing Matt. It's incredible to learn that the Inescapable Us was played live as I thought that was the one song Matt had never done live from that album. 

Chad, any chance you could get this setlist uploaded to your website?