Dan #1

Band Break Up

i was going through a hard time in my life and wanted to kill myself, and he was worried and i was told to email him, i did and said he could add me to msn if he wanted then he did and asked if he could call because it was easier than typing

Wow, that's um... I was gonna say cool, but that would sound very off, since suicide isn't cool at all. But, you know... It's cool of Matt that he was worried. And go Chad for still being here.

I like the solo stuff......... To me it always seems like what he releases fits my life... It's so bizarre. Every Album has reached out at it's own time and grabbed ahold of my heart. I guess I'm just progressing along with him, so it's all good. All of it. ;)

Dave Genn certainly brought a lot to the table with that band, I mean, his guitar was just awesome on BM. So I miss his "magic touch", but tracks like "We're So Heavy" make me forget about that altogether. ;)

Dave is really into the production end of things now, though he was recently involved and played all over the last Holly McNarland CD (who you'll remember as the female voice appearing on the Loser Anthems EP), and he is also now filling in on guitar with the venerable 54-40.

I too thought highly of Dave's guitar playing, which I thought brought a lot of melody to the table. However, Matt told me Dave was "terrible," as it would take him 50 takes to get any of his parts done while recording. I know that Christian is excellent, but never having seen Dave play live I guess I would never be able to compare apples to apples. I will say that Pat the drummer is frickin' fantastic. Now he does bring an awful lot to the table. He is a very melodic drummer, who provides a real kick to their live show. His Keith Moon-esque drumming in parts on the new album (for god's sakes is ex-pats ever a Who-sounding song in so many ways) is tremendous.

thanx ;) actually yes, Spanish has many cool words :angry:

talking about Matt or MGB? well, i guess that all musicians improve and get better with the years and maybe in a different way Matt sounds more mature - as someone else has mentioned here - although my favorite album (AOB) is from the MGB period...

I never believed Dave to be a terrible, I understand that he's a perfectionist. I have seen Dave live, and his guitar playing still kicks ass.

As an individual artist Matt's music has taken a different direction. One of the strong elements of a Band over Individual production is that the finial product has multiple creative influences.

I not sure how much or your stories I buy... I would be interesting to hear what the other ex-band members have to say about the break up.

Peace

i really don't look at the music before the breakup or after it in a compare and contrast fashion. I just listen...sure there significant differences...but even he's not singing you just know its a matt good song...they all have that feel to them. Am I still wishing for something that souns like it would have been on underdogs or lotga, sure sinc ethats what hooked me...but like matt and other artists my music tastes have changed with age..it just so happens that his changes have been blowing me away and leaving me wanting more.

I think the Band Break Up just allowed Matthew Good to progress further artistically. It's not even that big of a deal though the media really stressed it. The real driving force behind MGB was really Matthew Good. He has a new band, though he's just chosen not to accentuate the fact.

I'm personally more of a fan of MGB than MG, but a few more albums like WLRRR and I might just have to take that back.

From the MGB bootlegs I've got (Snowjob 99 and the 98 CBC radio show), Dave can certainly play his shit, it soudns almost just like the album.

And you're all forgetting about poor Geoff Lloyd! Now there was a funky son of a bitch!

-julz

So someone else still remembers Geoff Lloyd... Any body know what he is up to now?

Did anybody else notice that there are similarities between the style in LOTGA, and Avalanche? I though they had similar modes (it's also similar to some of his demo stuff). And with WLR&RR the difference between it and Avalanche is similar to the difference between LOTGA and Underdogs...

Just some food for thought. I'm not saying that the albums are the same, I am just noting I felt the style was similar (please don't flame the crap out of me ;) ).

Peace

Geoff Lloyd's a helluva bassist. It's an interesting 'what-if' to entertain, if he never left and what the band's musical direction would be like. It probably wouldn't change much because Matt and Dave did most of the writing and he left because he felt he wasn't giving enough to the creative process in the first place. Just another thought...

Quick recap, just a refection on Matt being the driving force of MGB:

LOTGA: Matthew Good

except: 'alabama motel room' (good/lloyd/browne)

Raygun: Matthew Good

except: 'generation x-wing' (good/genn) & 'alabama motel room', see above

Underdogs: words by good, music by good/genn

except: 'the inescapable us' and 'prime time deliverance' (all Matt)

'rico' (good/browne/lloyd/genn)

Beautiful Midnight: words by good, music by good/genn

except: 'load me up' (good/genn/browne/priske)

'flashdance II' (good/genn)

Loser Anthems: no info

The Audio of Being: no info. I really wanted to see who did all the writing for this one. I think I was all Matt, which lead to the conflict in the band. On a note on irony, my CD has printed in the spine the message "help us get rid of the matthew good band".

The rest are of course all Matt. But the point of note is that the two core albums of the MGB where music by Matt and Dave. I suspect that since Matt wrote the whole of Audio of Being in a cabin in Wister, as I said about lead to the conflict. I think that Dave and Ian upset that they where not involved in the development of the music. They probably did not respond well to "play this".

Alright, that's my little rant.

Peace

yeah i see your point. they might have shown up to the studio and were kinda peeved they weren't getting a say. kind of sucks that way. but artists are like that....they have a vision and need to let it loose. too bad the band broke up, but i mean if they didn't we wouldn't have avalanche and wlrr....and audio of being wouldn't be that amazing possibly. i wonder what really happened though. i hope browne and genn are doing awesome though. Here's a question...does priske have a say in anything...are he and matt buddies? or he just the typical bass player?

While Matt's always been the prime creative force, I think the music really benefited from the input of others. As others have said, Geoff Lloyd was amazing -- there was definitely something missing after Underdogs. I mean, I know Priske plays on the records, but you can't hear a darn thing, and even Lloyd's work in Near Fantastica is drowned out on Avalanche.

I like both the solo records. But on Avalanche I think Matt said, "Now I can do ANYTHING I want!" and decided it'd be a good idea to make a sprawling record with nary a song under 5 minutes, which I think was a mistake and a little self-indulgent. He'd never be able to pull that kind of thing with MGB (Born to Kill excepted). WLRRR is much more concise, thankfully, but the music is a retread of Underdogs. Sorry, it is. Still a good record. There's some very Copyright-ish guitar on it, too -- so maybe Matt's loosening up a bit and letting his band stretch their creative muscles.

I think Matt's a great songwriter and lyricist, but his music has always been a little . . . meh. I'm a fan of the hooks, the words, his voice, but I think he's always needed a sonic boost from other musicians. I will be flamed for saying that and I don't mind. My opinion is that if Matt doesn't let his current or other contributers lend their ideas, the music'll get stale, even if the words don't. WLRRR is evidence of that, but considering how different his last two records have been, I could (happily) be proven wrong with the next one.

I'm not going to flame you.

I think that your right. If Matt doesn't allow the music element to grow through the input of other musical elements, then his music does pose the risk of becoming stale.

Now at least both of us will get flamed.

Peace