Ozzwald

Who's Met Matt?

Ok, hands up if you've met Matt. And if so , what's he like? We've all heard the stories about him being an ass, but you know what the media are like. I was just interested in some personal experiences ya'll have had with him. I haven't met him, but I would love to.

I've met him...4 times? I can't remember at the moment. Enough that it's not the biggest exciting thing anymore for me. It's just one of those "hey, Matt's in town, I wonder what he'll say this time?" deals. I hung out with his band backstage at his birthday bash last year in Banff, but Matt wasn't in a partying mood after the accident. Poor guy.

He's a really decent guy, if you approach him at the right times. After a show is best, because he's still in the working "zone," but he's been decent the other times I've just seen him on the street. As long as you don't get in his face, he's cool. He's even gone out of his way to make sure that everyone waiting around to greet him (like the massive MOB at Stampede 2003) got the opportunity to do so, and he's always open about questions, extra pictures, etc.

I've never thought Matt to be an asshole. Sometimes he shoots his mouth off, but so does everyone. He's just a pretty average guy with some above average talent and he's been given an opportunity to use that talent. Treat him like a normal person, and he'll be more than willing to treat you decently as well.

For all those that want to meet Matt, just find the tour bus after the show. Wait a few minutes, and he usually comes out for a chat. In 2004 the bus was teal green. Super easy to spot. Just hang back, be patient, and listen to the security guys. It's not a difficult thing to do these days.

i went to the peace march here in vancouver that he posted he was going to be at, hoping to see him there and get an autograph, also to see what one of these things were all about. the march was kinda weird, but for a good cause so it was cool. anyways, i went up to him after the march was over and the crowd was in front of a stage waiting for noam chomsky. he was already talking with some other fans about politics, so i waited off to the side with my cd booklet. i was really nervous and probably looked like a dork. he stopped talking and looked over at me and said, "You just want me to sign that don't you?" and laughed a little. Then he was like "Look at her, she's like, 'i'm freezing, just sign the damned thing!'. I guess i looked cold and shivery because we were on a beach and it was windy. The other fans that were there took a pic of him thats actually in this site's photo section. anyways, i gave him my avalanche insert, he asked how to spell my name, but he already started to write it and he spelled it wrong so he had to go over it. he told me not to get pissed at him later when i looked at it. lol. and then i said thanks and that i'd "leave him alone now". that got a laugh, and then i left. he was so so nice, considering how i was this bumbling little girl who was weirdly standing there and staring at him talking to someone. jenn and the dogs were there too. neato

http://www.nearfantastica.com/gallery/disp...?album=6&pos=65

Edited by kerryperrault

I met him at the first two Starlite shows in Edmonton last June, and after the one in October. I was totally shocked at how nice he was and accommidating for pics and autographs. I got to talk about the blog a bit with him, which was really cool. He even signed my guitar! So rad...

The thing I remember most about meeting Matt is actually how lots of other people meeting Matt for the first time were acting. You could tell some people were just going nuts over the idea of meeting their musical idol. Matt's my favourite singer/songwriter by far, but I can't say that the whole meeting a celebrity thing is something I get worked up about. Just a chance to quickly say that I appreciated his work, and that was that. There really wasn't much to the meet and greet (not that I expected there to be), so I couldn't really say what he was like. From personal experience, he has been pleasant for at leat 10.35 seconds of his life. That's about all the information I'm qualified to give on the subject.

Cheers,

Grizz

Met him back in 2001 when I was making the french mgb.com because they had given me all access passes for their Montreal show in July. He, along with the rest of the band, was great. He was nice, funny and found a way to include me into conversations with the other bands (Copyright and Treble Charger, and Treble seem to be real asses from what I gathered that night). He even said he was going to put me on stage for the show and that we would have a lot of fun (we = me + the band). But then Christi Thompson decided I was going at the soundboard (and some fans at the show thought I was working on the tour ;))...Then he signed my Loser Anthem, he took two pictures of us and gave me a t-shirt.

All in all he was pretty cool

Edited by Prosis

I met him after the Montreal show in November and he couldn't have been more friendly toward me (or the people with me). The security guys let in a few people at a time, so my friend went in right before I did and when I walked in, he greeted me by asking if I was "the Amnesty girl" becuase my friend had apparently mentioned something to that extent. It was great... must have spent 5 minutes chatting with him about politics (it was right after the US election, so we had plenty to discuss) and Amnesty. I walked out of there on a total high, having just met one of my favorite musicians after 6 or so years of being a fan. And I don't get star-struck very easily. (The only other time that happened was the first time I met Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers...)

Right, long story short - yes, I met him and no, he wasn't an ass.

I have met him 4 times.All I can say is I have the upmost respect for him.He never tried to leave with some stupid excuse like"my cell phone is ringing"like Rich uses or "sorry man, I'll sign stuff latter I've got to go get high" like chris used on my buddy.He always was nice and made sure everyone had a picture or whatever they wanted signed before he left.Awesome guy

I met him twice. 1st when he came to the Edge studios the day of his Toronto gig on the Rock and Roll Revue.

It was really crazy, because it was also the first time I ever saw him in person. He pulled up in his car and I was just shaking really, cause I couldn't believe he was actually right there. Which sounds extremely fanboyish, but whatever. Got my Avalanche and Loser Anthems signed, and got my picture with him. The first time, it didn't work, so I had to ask him later, and that was it.

The second time was in October at the Toronto show at Kool Haus. After the show I spoke with Rich and Pat, and then lined up to say hi to Matt.

I told him how great the show was, that it was the first time I ever saw him perform, and that the bootlegs don't do the show justice. He seemed really grateful, and then I shook his hand, got another picture with him, and got him to sign LOTGA, Underdogs, BM, AOB, and every other single and promo copy I had. It was great, he was very friendly, and more than willing to comply to my every demand.

One time I was beside him in a Starbucks line. I didn't meet him but I was so excited I peed a little.

Another time I saw him in Blockbuster. I tried to say hi but I was soooo nervous I just stood there and stared at him. He told me to stop but I couldn't, I was totally unresponsive. It was rad.

Another time I saw him in Blockbuster.  I tried to say hi but I was soooo nervous I just stood there and stared at him.  He told me to stop but I couldn't, I was totally unresponsive.  It was rad.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by xDirtyx

I've never met Matt.Doubt I ever will since I live in Ireland.

Although i'm not sure i'd want to meet him incase things go wrong...

I have a great deal of respect for the man and his work and if it was a bad experience then Im not sure how I'd feel.

Perhaps things are best the way they are.

-Aidan

Guest jjazz
My brother claims he saw him yesterday at Yorkdale mall in Toronto, last night.  Which is cool.

I sorta doubt that since he's in Vancouver right now.

Yeah, I know. Turned out it wasn't Matt. ;)

Met him at my very first concert, September 21, 2002 a.k.a. greatest day ever.

He was taller than I expected (I have no idea why)... and he was very nice and majestic.. hehehe. I didn't have anything to bug him to sign, but I didn't care. It was right out front of the Kee to Bala in Bala, Ontario which is beautiful... and unfortunately he couldn't stay long, he was on his way to sound check.

Awesome experience though.