.jeffrey.

Favorite Female Solo Artist?

It always seems these days that good female solo artists are hard to find. what with all the britney's and christina's taking up all the attention. *spits in disgust*

So who's your choice for fav female solo artists?!?

I don't agree with u, Kumquat, there may be some female singers who use sex to sell their "music" (if u may call "music" what they do...) but they are the fake musicians kinda Britney, Madonna and that kind... but real female singers, who live of their music (P.J. Harvey, Björk, The Cranberries, Garbage, Tanya Donelly...), fortunately exist and they dont need to use sex to show that they are GREAT singers...

I've always been rather fond of Gwen Stafani. She is definitely genuine, and original as well. And of course, that girl has a voice. Oh, and I also like Alanis Morissette. Those ladies actually have talent. Oh, and by the way, I am a major non-fan of Avril Lavigne. In my eyes, she ranks almost as low as Britney Spears. Almost.

Sarah McLachlan

Holly McNarland

Bjork

Esthero

I guess that about covers it. For an explination, listen to about 5 songs by each of them and enjoy, then you'll understand.

hold on, *hugheeeeee* *rawlf* *cough* *wipe*

now I have express my loathing and disgust for one Avril Lavigne. I mean... no, I'm not going to rant my distain for her here.

Other than that... there are lots of fine female artists, and when I say artists I mean persons who both 1) write there own songs/music and 2) are not products of record labels

Peace

and not only those two points you mention, toadman, but also that they sing well, that their voice is special and that they may reproduce all their work in a concert... that's what happens with PJ Harvey: she writes her own songs/musica, she's not a product of a big record label - actually, and i know that, he doesnt get pressure from the record label, she writes what she wants and when she wants it - AND she sings like an angel ;)