british_steel

Best Opener

when i saw mgb at kingswood theatre they opened with giant.. that was very memorable probably because it was the first time i had ever seen them.

in september 2002 i went to a sheridan college performance, one of matt's first solo shows, he opened with generation x-wing... great again

Ya, Giant. My first concert I'd attended without parental units, back in eighth grade. I went to that show on a whim, based solely on Hello Time Bomb (because that's how you did things when you were 13), and I never looked back. Killer show, changed my musical life.

I remember hearing Giant as my first Matt Good experience back in '99. I loved it, I had only heard beautiful midnight for about a month and Hello Time Bomb was on rotation on the radios. I never expected him to be so great live, he sings even better when he's in front of a crowd. What songs did he open with before he released BM? Everything is Automatic?

Just remembered of the third time I saw him. He came onto the stage all by himself through the curtains, with just one light on him and an accoustic guitar and the whole crowd shut right up, then he started to play House of smoke and mirrors by himself. As the song progressed, the curtains slowly opened and the band was behind it, and when the solo kicks in halfway through the song, the rest of the lights came on. That was another great way of opening.

Matts always got a great way of starting shows.

Just talking about when Matt opened his set with Giant and Man of Action brought back some memories. What do you guys think was your best experience of an opening song by Matt Good, and ofcourse, what song was it?

LIES!! ALL LIES!!

Man of Action has never been played live.

The songs he's played first in shows I've attended...

Giant X 2

Generation X Wing

Pledge X 2

Poor Man's Grey

Put Out Your Lights

Apparitions

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

I can't recall every time I've seen him live and what song was opened with, but I'm pretty sure he used Ma of Action at least once. First time i saw him, it was Giant at the vogue, second time, also Giant in Kamloops. Third time is blurry (which is where I put in MoA), 4th time HOSAM, 5th was at the commodore in september, I think Poor Mans Grey or Put out your lights (though I liked the encore of Hopeless much better) and most recently ACF with Giant again.

I'm not sure you even have the show right, and I know he opened with HOSAM at that show I went to. Its not something I would screw up, I was sober at that one.

This part I may not be right on though: I believe the show was even before Avalanche came out and he was playing new songs with his new band at the time, it wasn't part of a tour I don't think, just a few shows at the Vogue.

Edited by british_steel

when i saw mgb at kingswood theatre they opened with giant.. that was very memorable probably because it was the first time i had ever seen them.

in september 2002 i went to a sheridan college performance, one of matt's first solo shows, he opened with generation x-wing... great again

Hey, i was at that show as well! i was in my freshman year, and it couldn't have been a more complete one, with matt playing. He hung around campus in the afternoon. my girlfreind at the time couldn't get in because she was 18... so she and my other friend's girlfriend got stoned and hung around unil it was over... wow, i guess that pretty much sums up where matt good shows fit into my priorities. geez.

Near Fantastica.

Pledge of Allegiance is a close second, though the audience didn't really know what to make of it.

Giant is nice, but too obvious. I'm sure the song was written with the sole intention of opening concerts. Plus, it reminds me too much of the good old days when he'd play Suburbia live.

Unfortunately, I've only seen Matt live once. That was for the Put Out Your Lights tour. He was playing in Saskatoon. I was so happy to be there, I don't remember the set list that well. What I do remember, is that he came out for an encore and the last song he played was 'Can't Get Shot in the Back'. It was the first time I heard the full song. It was fuckin' amazing.

I'm not sure you even have the show right, and I know he opened with HOSAM at that show I went to. Its not something I would screw up, I was sober at that one.

This part I may not be right on though: I believe the show was even before Avalanche came out and he was playing new songs with his new band at the time, it wasn't part of a tour I don't think, just a few shows at the Vogue.

wait i might be wrong about the HOSAM.

unless it was the 19th of April 2003, then I am right otherwise I apologize for that one.

I really enjoyed when he opened with 21st Century Living last October. It wasn't just the song...it was the fact that they had the "we did not authorize speech" going, there was smoke, it was dark, and there was flashing lights...and then everything just blasted open when he started singing the chorus.

wait i might be wrong about the HOSAM.

unless it was the 19th of April 2003, then I am right otherwise I apologize for that one.

nah Im pretty sure it was before 2003, I'm not sure if he had even released Avalanche when he opened with that. I think Dave Genn had just left along with Ian, and Matt had just gotten Christian and Pat in the new lineup and did a few live shows. I think Weapon might have been released, though I'm not sure. I could be way off on my dates now, I can't keep track of them all.

alright that one I can give you cuz I didn't get into the big tour aspect of it till 2002, but there is a slight problem with your story...

they didn't tour AOB at all, so that would mean house of smoke and mirrors would have had to been played during the beautiful midnight era..... THAT doesn't sound correct at all. hahaha BUSTED!!

perhaps you have it confused with something else.

I know they didnt tour for AoB at all, they broke up around November, I was at the signing for AoB at A&B Sound in Langley a few weeks before they split. Matt got his new lineup together and played a few shows with them, that is where he opened with HOSAM. The show was with Christian Thor Valdsen on guitar, so I know it wasn't BM era, that would be a pretty far fetched story if it was though you're right. I think I mentioned originally that it was after MGB though.

Edited by british_steel