From a religious perspective, is this a stupid idea?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. From a religious perspective, is this a stupid idea?

• Yes
    • No

My church is having an outdoor service tomorrow where they're planning on baptizing children's pets for fun. My friend says that something like that is stupid and a waste of time because animals don't have souls and no free will. Regardless of how this looks from an agnostic or athiest perspective, how do you feel about this when thinking about it from a religious perspective?

They're really just doing it for the kids, I'm not even going. But imagine that you're 4 or 5, and your dog dies. How'd you feel if you were told you'd never see that dog again (assuming it wasn't a vicious son of a bitch that attacked anything that smelt of fear)?

Come to think of it, my friend is, too. What I want to know is how can anyone know for sure that animals don't have souls. What's the harm in the baptism if they don't? At least the kids would feel good about it. I know my ministers pretty well. They wouldn't lie to children about religion.

Well we can't really tell if anything has a soul or not. Not for certain at least. But I'm all good for animals entering the afterlife, if there is one, but baptism is more of tradition/symbol isn't it? What sins would your dog or cat have anyway?

Would your pet even want to join your religious denomination?

It just doesnt really make sense to me whichever way you look at it. I was always told that animals go to heaven? lol I was an anglican, I have just recently seen the light and logic of agnostic.

Agnostic:

#1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.

2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

I siad it was stupid, but i would have voted the same had the question been "Is baptizing people a stupid idea?"

If there is a god, he should chose people that are good, kind people when checking attendence for heaven. Just because you pray and have been baptized and crap does not mean that you're a good person....

Well we can't really tell if anything has a soul or not. Not for certain at least. But I'm all good for animals entering the afterlife, if there is one, but baptism is more of tradition/symbol isn't it? What sins would your dog or cat have anyway?

Would your pet even want to join your religious denomination?

Would a 6 month old child want to join any particular denomination? I guess I shouldn't be taking this too seriously, as it is pretty much for the young children to have some fun.

And insober, I'm all for any good people getting into Heaven, baptised or not. I just can't picture Ghandi rotting in hell.

A Jewish man died and went to Heaven. St. Peter told him he could go anywhere, except over a high wall in the east section. One day, his curiosity got the better of him and he looked over and saw people living there just the same as on his side. He went running back to St. Peter to ask him about the people on the other side and why he couldn't go over there. St. Peter asked, "did anyone see you?" The man replied, "no."

"Thank goodness. Those are the Christians. They think they're the only ones up here."

I hate it when adults tells children that animals don't have souls. I don't care if it's true or not. Some things you don't say to a childs face. Kids get really attached to pets and when their pet dies, their devastated, so telling them that they won't even see them after they die is a shitty thing to do. View things from a childs perspective.

EDIT: I do think baptising animals is stupid, but if it makes a kid feel assured, then bless away.

Edited by Katastrophina

organized religion is the biggest act of pretentiousness that i know of; pretending to know how the world was created! it's just as pretentious and silly to think that humans have a "soul" and every other living organism doesn't. So if you must be naive you might aswell baptize the dog aswell.