You guys all seem fairly rock oriented in your listening so I hope no one lynches me for this but does anyone here like rap? And when I say rap I don't mean 50 Cent and Eminem. I'm talking about... you know.... GOOD rap. Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, K-OS, Immortal Technique, etc.

You guys all seem fairly rock oriented in your listening so I hope no one lynches me for this but does anyone here like rap? And when I say rap I don't mean 50 Cent and Eminem. I'm talking about... you know.... GOOD rap. Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, K-OS, Immortal Technique, etc.

Get out and never return.

When you're writing in the "Music in General" section, we should all assume that you're going to talk about music.

Moreover, some negro who somehow manages to rhyme "yo" with "yo" is not, despite your beliefs, a musician. Especially if he doesn't even have the talent to play an instrument. Which, if I'm not mistaken, includes 99 percent of all rap artists.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need to be impressed either. I mean, if they could just hit a fucking bongo in rhythm , that would be satisfactory.

This is all meaningless though. I forgot to factor in that there isn't really instrumentation in rap in the first place. By the way, I don't consider synthesized bullshit that creates a grade two level beat instrumentation.

Get out and never return.

When you're writing in the "Music in General" section, we should all assume that you're going to talk about music.

Moreover, some negro who somehow manages to rhyme "yo" with "yo" is not, despite your beliefs, a musician. Especially if he doesn't even have the talent to play an instrument. Which, if I'm not mistaken, includes 99 percent of all rap artists.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need to be impressed either. I mean, if they could just hit a fucking bongo in rhythm , that would be satisfactory.

This is all meaningless though. I forgot to factor in that there isn't really instrumentation in rap in the first place. By the way, I don't consider synthesized bullshit that creates a grade two level beat instrumentation.

that's why he said 'good' rap. artists like k-os and the roots who play their own instruments and write intelligent lyrics that have nothing to do with pussy and gats.

i like k-os, the roots, mos def, common, talib kweli.

Maverick, that's probably the most ignorant thing I've read regarding anything. You hit the nail on the head. If your intent was to make an intolerant jackass of yourself.

First of all, I'm not going to accuse you of being racist, but I am going to say that you definitely sound racist. "some negro"? What kind of neanderthal are you?

I would also like to point out that you have obviously never heard of the artists that I've referred to because at least two of the are actually white. Therefore you are ignorant of the topic, could not possibly have a valid opinion, and shouldn't even be wasting my time and yours by posting.

And, most importantly, I'd like to remind you that mainstream music is almost always shit. Rap just happens to be the face of it right now. This is why you have terrible, terrible artists like Nelly, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, etc, etc, dominating the airwaves. Some of us, who are actually OPEN MINDED are able to see past that and appreciate the small percentage of rap that is actually listenable. Matt Good himself had nothing but good things to say about K-OS on his blog the other day.

Maverick, that's probably the most ignorant thing I've read regarding anything. You hit the nail on the head. If your intent was to make an intolerant jackass of yourself.

First of all, I'm not going to accuse you of being racist, but I am going to say that you definitely sound racist. "some negro"? What kind of neanderthal are you?

I would also like to point out that you have obviously never heard of the artists that I've referred to because at least two of the are actually white. Therefore you are ignorant of the topic, could not possibly have a valid opinion, and shouldn't even be wasting my time and yours by posting.

And, most importantly, I'd like to remind you that mainstream music is almost always shit. Rap just happens to be the face of it right now. This is why you have terrible, terrible artists like Nelly, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, etc, etc, dominating the airwaves. Some of us, who are actually OPEN MINDED are able to see past that and appreciate the small percentage of rap that is actually listenable. Matt Good himself had nothing but good things to say about K-OS on his blog the other day.

Matt Good himself had nothing but good things to say about K-OS on his blog the other day.

Ah, Matt Good, the all-knowing. This statement is both irrelevant and stupid. Sounds like some obsessive twelve year old, though, which is always good for entertainment purposes.

"Because Matt Good said so..."

I like this one, because it ultimately assumes that I've succumbed to some kind of barbarism just because I used a dated term to describe African Americans. Yes, you're right, I must be a neanderthal. Grow up.

I've referred to because at least two of the are actually white.

First of all, I'm going to assume you meant "them" instead of "the".

Secondly, again with the irrelevancy. I was generalizing, of course. This in no means shows my ignorance (because, you will soon realize that most rap artists are indeed black). I apologize for any neanderthalisms.

And, most importantly, I'd like to remind you that mainstream music is almost always shit. Rap just happens to be the face of it right now. This is why you have terrible, terrible artists like Nelly, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, etc, etc, dominating the airwaves.

Yes, thank you for the education. This statement is as useless as it is moronic. I noticed that the list of 'terrible' artists you have just mentioned are all black. Hypocrite.

Thanks for playing.

I'm not going to make a point for point criticism of your post because I don't feel the need to take all your points out of context and deal with them that way.

Your completely ignoring the point of my post which was that you're reasons for not liking rap are bullshit. From what I can tell they are as follows:

Rap is made by black people who say nothing but "yo".

Rap music is synthesized. Synthesized=Bad.

As a couple of people have backed me up on here, there are many rappers whose lyrics are excellant, and who would never stoop to to rhyming yo with yo. Or saying yo at all.

Also, a lot of rap uses real instruments. And the stuff that doesn't? Just because it isn't guitar, bass, and drums doesn't mean it is invalid as a form of music.

And as for calling me racist, I made that point to show that you don't even know who I'm talking about. Your expressing opinions about something you are completely unfamiliar with.

Thanks for being smug and arrogant.

I'm not going to make a point for point criticism of your post because I don't feel the need to take all your points out of context and deal with them that way.

Your completely ignoring the point of my post which was that you're reasons for not liking rap are bullshit. From what I can tell they are as follows:

As a couple of people have backed me up on here, there are many rappers whose lyrics are excellant, and who would never stoop to to rhyming yo with yo. Or saying yo at all.

Also, a lot of rap uses real instruments. And the stuff that doesn't? Just because it isn't guitar, bass, and drums doesn't mean it is invalid as a form of music.

And as for calling me racist, I made that point to show that you don't even know who I'm talking about. Your expressing opinions about something you are completely unfamiliar with.

First of all, I did not take anything out of context.

I merely pointed out your blind stupidity point-by-point, to easily narrow down where your arguments and proofs are completely flawed, immature, and likewise arrogant.

Next time, just graciously admit that your comments were both foolish and inadequate. That will surely save you some credibility.

I see. So this was the point of your previous post. Let's re-read that post then, shall we?

And, most importantly, I'd like to remind you that mainstream music is almost always shit. Rap just happens to be the face of it right now. This is why you have terrible, terrible artists like Nelly, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, etc, etc, dominating the airwaves. Some of us, who are actually OPEN MINDED are able to see past that and appreciate the small percentage of rap that is actually listenable. Matt Good himself had nothing but good things to say about K-OS on his blog the other day.ck, that's probably the most ignorant thing I've read regarding anything. You hit the nail on the head. If your intent was to make an intolerant jackass of yourself.

Sounds to me the basic premise here is that I'm a racist, neanderthal, who doesn't know what mainstream music is, or that some rap artists are, in fact, white (what a development) and that I also don't comprehend that what Matt Good says, stands. Interesting. That really doesn't have anything to do with what you just explained your previous post was meant to achieve.

Okay, now you're just trying too hard to be like me.

Edited by Maverick

Mikebutt, you must come to relize that the only good thing Maverick has ever said was in reference to Ashley Simpson, so bare with him. He has no life.

Anyway, there is some great rap out there. Personally, i love OutKast, the Gym Class Heroes, the Roots, Kyprios, Onyx, and pretty much everything everyone else has cited (Sage Francis, K-os...).

As for Aesop Rock, what is/are he/she/they like? i have heard a lot about Aesop Rock lately...

Maverick, you're not arguing you're just being dismissive. In my first post I said that you were closed minded. That was my "whole point" that I referred to. In my second post I made specific reference to what you said that made you sound closed minded. If you want to have a debate, then please, explain to me why you feel you're opinions are valid. By which, I mean, your opinions on why rap is not a valid form of music.

As for Aesop Rock, hes great. The lyrics are a little overly cryptic, but I think they're very entertaining. Try and get the whole album "Labor Days" if you can. It's friggin excellant.

Edited by mikebutt

trying to get your point across to maverick is perhaps the most futile attempt at anything that a person can make. just throw gas on the fire and watch the witty retorts spew forth.

He's not witty, Satty.

Also, as far as rap having no real insrumentation, does anyone remember the Bomb Squad?

And Mr. Butt, since you seem to not know Maverick well, if you want to keep your discussion on topic you will have to completely ignore anything he says.

I can't believe this. You're all a bunch of god damn traitors.

You got Mikebutt (if that is his real name) who can't even begin to comprehend my arguments and seemingly has difficulty understanding his own. Then he makes up random comments to how I'm being dismissive when I have pointed out clearly where he has been an asinine fool.

Secondly, Insober for some odd reason decided to join a fight that he had no business to be involved with. Thankfully, he likes Chaos, so we never have to respect his opinion ever again.

Saturnine, why? You and me, I thought we were allies. I guess I don't know where I got that impression. The two of us, man, we're Hamiltonians, we're of a pure breed. Quite like the Aryans in comparison to the Jews. Alas, you side with the ingrates. This, I can't comprehend.

I can't believe this. You're all a bunch of god damn traitors.

You got Mikebutt (if that is his real name) who can't even begin to comprehend my arguments and seemingly has difficulty understanding his own. Then he makes up random comments to how I'm being dismissive when I have pointed out clearly where he has been an asinine fool.

Secondly, Insober for some odd reason decided to join a fight that he had no business to be involved with. Thankfully, he likes Chaos, so we never have to respect his opinion ever again.

Saturnine, why? You and me, I thought we were allies. I guess I don't know where I got that impression. The two of us, man, we're Hamiltonians, we're of a pure breed. Quite like the Aryans in comparison to the Jews. Alas, you side with the ingrates. This, I can't comprehend.

Chaos what?

Uh-huh. Everyone disagrees with you, therefore everyone must be wrong. Your debating skills are truly legendary. I tip my hat to you good sir.

Yeah, don't worry Mike, i haven't ever seen anyone say a good word about Maverick. He's just a sort of eyesore that pops up every now and then that makes you think "God, i'm glad i have friends and am not as starved for attention as some people out there."