shade

Do You Think Shitty Bands Like My Chemical Romance

True. There are some bands, such as the ones mentioned, that take themselves way too seriously, and probably think they are extremely relevent.

Me, on the other hand, I'm thinking I wouldn't care that my entire fanbase consisted of squealing 13 year olds in band shirts and ridiculous makeup if I was making that kind of money.

Purely hypothetical of course.

What I don't get is this: I read that the lead singer of MCR is a big Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan and says he's greatly influenced by him. When you listen to SP and then come up with that kind of crappy music, how can you take yourself seriously?

I've heard a few songs off of MCR's latest album, and they aren't that bad. Same with the new Linkin Park. I was reading the reviews on Amazon, and the vast majority are from kids whining "Linkin Park sold out! Where's the rap? The changed and now they suck! Boo-fucking-hoo!" I figure that if those people hate it, I'll like it.

Realize that they are a fucking joke and nobody over 14 takes them seriously?

I often wonder

i'm not so sure about my chemical romance... they seem so earnest in what they're doing. they take themselves and their music very seriously, as far as i can tell.

but i'm sure as hell that similar bands know that they're entertainers, and not actual artists. like avril lavigne. she's a genius because she's embracing it. she knows what her market is, and writes music for that age group. she has no integrity, but thats not why she's making music, and that's not why people listen to her.

i like to think of it in a similar fashion to b-movies. people in that industry know they're making crap. hilarious crap. and yet they do it anyways. theres no way that the people who write that stuff think themselves to be artists.

Edited by borntohula

I can't believe I'm defending these bands but... if they gave a shit what most people thought of their music I do't think they would be around.

That's true of most bands I think. The people who hate Matthew Good heavily outnumber those who like him. And I think it's easy to stereotype his fanbase as well; it may not be 14 year old girls, but...

If you have seen the guy from My Chemical Romance doing his over the top bullshit in music videos...half crying/half going crazy....you people would also wonder how the hell they sleep at night.

There is phoney, and then there is that.

Its disgusting.

Edited by shade

I've only ever seen Black Parade and one other video that I've forgotten the name of for My Chemical Romance videos, and they were the worst videos/songs I've ever heard.

I would say they go as far as disgust me, just from the two videos I've seen.

& I do wonder

Rise Against, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Cartel, blah blah? As long as I don't have to hear the music they put out they don't bother me. But their fans do. Maybe it's just around here, but it seems like a lot of the fans of these bands are actually over the age of 14. ;)