Is Abortion Right or Wrong?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Abortion Right or Wrong?

• Right all the time
    • Wrong all the time
    • Right in cases of rape or incest

i think its immoral and irresponsible if you were messing around and got pregnant...but i think it is the right choice in case of rape, incest, or danger to the mother....but, despite my beliefs i think every woman should be able to make the choice for herself...its her body and her life

adoption is an option..

as soon as the fetus is made, its a person and has different dna and isn't really 'her body' anymore. therefore i don't believe its right. but if someone wants it done, its gonna happen. i'd rather it be done safetly. i just think it gets taken for granted.

i think there should be more rules for it. if the concern is the parents won't love it, put it up for adoption. this is something people always over look. and things always change when a baby comes. the hardest monsters can turn to butter around babies.

Edited by Lauren_Atmore

Or put butter on them?

Sorry for the sick joke ;). But yes, adoption isn't always a good idea. What if the child gets adopted by a bad family? The psychological effects of being "unwanted" can really screw with your mind.

The great thing about the right to choose is that it gives the mother the freedom to do what she thinks is best for her child, her family. Also, why should other people force their ideological beliefs on those who don't want them, especially us males, who have almost no idea what it's like to be pregnant.

The fetus is a potential person. The mother is an actual person. Why does a potential person have rights over an actual person? Any number of things can happen between conception and birth to terminate the fetus. What's the justification?

ps, if someone can change my mind on this issue, they get a prize. So far, it's a good debate ;)

you don't have to raise the child though..

note:

-the heartbeat begins between the eighteenth and twenty-fifth day

-electrical brain waves have been recorded as early as forty days

there is no doubt that this is a real person in a matter of days. it's not a 'potential person', it's for real. if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex (a study of one thousand rape victims who were treated after the rape reported no pregnancies- incest studies have not been done yet).

edit: and with incest, its either rape, or you let it happen. if its rape,. the odds are decreased. if it was done on purpose... they you have to deal with your decisions.

Edited by Lauren_Atmore

i smell a debate!!!

i figure rape and incest abortion is a respectable descision...im not a woman, so i could never know for sure, but i would assume after having ones body violated by rape that the months of pregnency would be like torture, and that the kid would never be loved by the mother...and children created by incest generally are born mentally handicapped...

but i manitain if your irresponsible enough to have sex before your ready, especially if your irresponsible enough not to use protection, than you should have to live with your consequences...if you dont want to run the risks of those consequnces dont have sex...if you want to greatly lesson those risks, than use protection....and im not sure, but doesnt the "morning after" pill essentially make a woman infertile...cause it starts her menstrating...

but on the other hand i believe in personal choice, if you want an abortion, let it be somewhere safe..i dont agree with it, and if asked my opinion i would advise against it, or promote adoption as an option...there are a lot of infertile people who want children, especially children they can raise from being infants...but to take the choice away is tyrannical

i smell a debate!!!

i figure rape and incest abortion is a respectable descision...im not a woman, so i could never know for sure, but i would assume after having ones body violated by rape that the months of pregnency would be like torture, and that the kid would never be loved by the mother...and children created by incest generally are born mentally handicapped...

but i manitain if your irresponsible enough to have sex before your ready, especially if your irresponsible enough not to use protection, than you should have to live with your consequences...

I agree with ya there. If it's a case where you didn't use protection (which is your own fault really), you can also give the baby up for adoption. There's tons of loving couples out there who would love to adopt.

Adoption seems like a better option than abortion quite frankly. However, if you've been raped etc..I can see how pregnancy would simply be a painful reminder. In those cases, I can understand the abortion option.

Like I said before, it depends on the circumstance.

I believe abortion is only an option when the baby is a result of rape or incest. If you are a teenager, and didn't use a condom (silly you), then don't blame the baby's life on your mistake. You can always put it up for adoption, or keep it. I know that sometimes when you first see the baby for the first time in your arms, all your hate for it will change. But that's just some people. Also, don't abuse the option for abortion. If you think "Well, I'm pregnant, but I don't want to develope love-handles." That's is NOT a reason for abortion. (Besides, children need something to grab onto when they want your attention; it's really a bonus) ;)

I believe in a woman's right to choose. I am anti-abortion and pro-choice. I don't think that abortions are wonderful things, or that everyone should have one. I also don't think it is fair to the woman to force her to bear a child.

Abortion should be legal and available. It is not the place of the law to decide what I do with my body. That's freakishly Orwellian. Don't like abortion? That's all well and good. You don't have to have one for yourself. It is necessary for some women. If you think it's wrong and you get pregnant, keep the baby.

Abortions should be performed within the first trimester of pregnancy. This time is the safest and the least messy.

People make mistakes. Contraceptives can fail, by chance or by misuse. Often, the cause of misuse is ignorance, which is why I am fully against abstinence-only sexual education in school. I am fifteen years old. If I accidently get pregnant, I'm not going to keep the baby.

Adoption? People throw around this option and still completely disregard the feelings of the mother. A lot of people overlook the fact that it's very easy to get attached to a baby that's growing inside of you for nine months. And even then, the child is unlikely to live a particularily good life. The results of many teen pregancies are black or mixed race babies. The majority of parents adopting are looking only for white babies. Adoption is still a path you can take, but I don't think it's in the best interests of the mother or the child. People seem to forget the nine months of carrying around the child inside of you, plus medical costs, etc. It's extremely hard to give up your baby.

Now, personally? I hate it when abortion is used repeatedly as a belated form of birth control. However, there is no way to determine how someone got pregnant - broken condem, failed oral contraception, rape, etc. - so this is completely irrelevant. This is a moral issue, and not an issue of whether or not abortion should be legal.

In my opinion, a fetus is not alive in the first few weeks of pregnancy. To me, it is not yet a person. After the first trimester, the fetus has developed far more, and begins to 'quicken'. As I believe has already been mentioned, it may be true that a fetus has the potential to become a person. But if the mother feels her life would be better off if she had an abortion, I would support her.

And that's where I stand on abortion.

Jenna.

It is not the place of the law to decide what I do with my body.

It is necessary for some women.

People make mistakes. Contraceptives can fail, by chance or by misuse... If I accidently get pregnant, I'm not going to keep the baby.

Adoption? People throw around this option and still completely disregard the feelings of the mother.

And even then, the child is unlikely to live a particularily good life.

The results of many teen pregancies are black or mixed race babies. The majority of parents adopting are looking only for white babies.

In my opinion, a fetus is not alive in the first few weeks of pregnancy. To me, it is not yet a person.

But if the mother feels her life would be better off if she had an abortion, I would support her.

here comes a huge rant. i feel passionatly about this issue and there is no way i would ever, under any circumstances, have an abortion.

first, i must stress that as soon as the fetus starts growing (when egg and sperm meet) you have made a person. it is no longer your body. you have almost been asked to babysit for 9 months and make sure the child doesn't get hurt.

it is not necessary for women. there are plenty of options. and as for costs, in canada we have a good health care program. other countries don't have it so great, but giving birth is going to happen whether or not you have the money to pay for it and governments do understand this.

i also stress that if you are not willing to become pregnant, do not have sex. that may seem difficult to do for some, but you can't jump into things assuming that you will be able to escape consequence-free. and if you are in a healthy sexually active relationship, you won't have to be a 'single mother' persay. if you'redating someone whos gonna skip town when you see the test is positive, hes not mature enough to be having sex with.

adoption is hard to do. but ultamitely, the mother must do whats best for the child. they have load sof pre and post birth guidance programs to help make these type of decisions.

there is no way someone can add 'baby murderer' to their life resumes and consider themselves better off. so many women will get to the point where they want to bear children and deeply regret aborting earlier pregnanies.

just think about that baby you aborted. you may have killed the next prime minister. and he/she could have been a decent one too! this might not mean much to many people here, but what would have happened if mary had aborted Jesus? or if mrs. lennon had aborted john? it might not seem like a big deal btu taking a life is taking life, whether they be 3 weeks old or 30 years old.