sodamntired

Retailer Workers Unite

post your grievance on how stupid people (customers) are here.

this is a post that a co-worker made on the things us lowly cashiers at Target have to put up with every day

1. Guests not talking to the cashier

-is it really that hard to say

I'm guilty of a couple of those things, the first two for sure.

but in all fairness, I don't talk to them really unless they talk to me, I've had cashiers completely just ignore my presence aside from taking the item and my money. also, I only talk on the phone if I get a call right when I'm there, and I tell them to hold on until I deal with the cashier. so I'm not that bad

I work at Beadworks on Granville Island. Not only are there annoying, extremely anal, high maintenance hardcore bead enthusiasts, but there are also screaming children who touch EVERYTHING, their idiot parents who do nothing about it, tourists who snap at me for assistance, and people who can't read a price tag unless I physically point to the price itself.

We sell some things in bulk packaging, and it pisses me off when someone refuses to pay the $0.75 for the pack of 20 jump rings when they've used 4 out of the package. It's the only goddamn way we sell them. Eat my shit.

I hate people.

i swear, some of these people demand nothing short of a footrub from me somedays......

people suck.

*it's ringing up at 24 cents* they will tell me it's listed at 23 cents. tell you what, i'll give you the penny.

my favorite was a woman who was upset that a piece of cloth that she got from our dollar section had a stain on it. she wasn't going to buy it, even at 75% off. that's right, she couldn't be expected to pay a quarter for a "stained" tiny piece of cloth.

i treat everyone with the same level of respect, unless they give me a reason to do otherwise...which they usually do.

edit: one of my new favorites is the parents who let their children buy their toy all by themselves....using their jar of loose change.

don't worry. i'll count it. you might want to apologize to the line of people behind you though.

Edited by sodamntired

shit like that makes kids feel grown up and important. it doesn't piss me off when kids want to pay for their own toy or have their own bag. it DOES piss me off when adults pay me with a handful of nickels and dimes, though.

I've never worked as a cashier of any sort for any long period, but I do notice, as a customer, all sorts of annoying things that shoppers do that seem to make life difficult for employees and other customers. One of the things the bothers me the most, is that at some of our stores, we have those self-checkout machines, where you scan the items you're buying, pay into the machine, and leave... there are signs posted at the machines that say "10 items or less" and yet people come to them with full shopping carts and hold everyone up by taking forever, and it seems the more items, the more likely some error will occur, so then they have to pull an employee in to help them correct the error, even though they're being douchebags about it and talking about how much they hate the machines for being so error-prone.

there are signs posted at the machines that say "10 items or less" and yet people come to them with full shopping carts and hold everyone up by taking forever

i work Express lines at Target sometimes. i'll be at register 6 for example. it has a sign that says on top of it

| 6 |

|10 items or less |

and i can count the number of morons that come up and say,

"i think i have 7 items, is that okay?"

and I love it when they tell me, "hehe, I think I have more than 10." they have 34. i'm just thinking when i ring them up, "you think you have more than 10?"

Edited by sodamntired

I used to work at a liquor store, i definitely got my fair share of stupid assholes. I don't work retail anymore, thank god...

-People tossing coins onto the counter so they bounce all over the fucking place.

-People not getting out whatever they're paying with BEFORE they get to the till (especially if theres a line). This especially is a problem with middle-aged women. Spend 5 minutes in line, then SUDDENLY realize as you get to the counter that yes, you have to pay with something. Proceed to take an unconscionably long time to hunt out credit card in the catastrophe of your fucking purse. And of course, it's out of the question to let someone go ahead of you while this takes place.

-People who have their credit/debit card rejected by the machine (multiple times) for whatever reason, and INSISTING that it must be the machine and that somehow I, a part-time liquor clerk making $10.25/h must somehow 'fix' the machine.

-For some reason, some people seem to think that retail involves negotiations of some sort. This is incorrect. You pay what it costs. In dollars. I've had people do these things attempting to pay for booze

*Try to offer collateral (cell phone, driver's license)

*Attempt to pay me with weed or hash

*Insist they will pay me back 'tomorrow'

*Offer to order a pizza to the store instead

-General bargaining:

"Well this is only $13.50 at Superstore" Me:"Then go to Superstore"

"This used to be $8.79! I'm not paying this!" Me:"Sucks for you, that's what it costs now."

And those are the NORMAL people... drunks and alcoholics are a totally different game.

Fortunately, i have a much better (non-retail) job now.

I used to work a grocery store and people would alway ask if we had, lets go with bananas. To which I would say we've run out and we won't get anymore until the next shipment. Which they would proceed to ask me to check the back for some.

Hello...I work here, if there was some in the back I'm damned sure we'd bring it out and sell the damned thing instead of keeping it back there to rot and waste money. Thanks for comin out.

yeah, when a guest asks me, "do you have any more in the back," i just want to yell, "if we had any more in the back, don't you think we'd bring it to the front?" but i usually call to the back, knowing there's nothing there.

and Chris, I've had people try the haggle the prices with me.

what the fuck am I supposed to do? this isn't a flea market, this is Target, it's a national chain. and when their credit card doesn't work, they ask, "maybe if i try it again it will work?" yeah, maybe.

never does though.

I used to work at a grocery store, so I feel all the pain. Express line was the worst.

"If I have 8 cans of the same kind of soup, does that count as one?"

"I go with the basic counting principle of one can being equal to one item, not 8 cans being equal to one item."

I work as a telephone operator now, and I get my fair share of morons calling in every day, like this guy:

[Copied from MSN conversation]

this guy calls in asking for an emergency number for the manitoba housing authority because his elevator is stuck- my first thought of course when he says this is that he's stuck in the elevator- I'd say that's a reasonable response from an operator when you say your elevator is stuck- so I say there is no emergency number for the housing authority, and I ask him if he's hit the big red EMERGENCY button in the elevator, which would be my first repsonse if I was trapped- so already I think this guy is an idiot as I tell him that I'll give him a police or fire number and they can help him out- then he tells me, quite rudely, that he isn't stuck in the elevator, just that he's outside the elevator which is stuck on the fifth floor- my first thought when he said that was "well then take the fucking stairs"

The "can you check in the back" question pisses me off the most. The back room we have at Beadworks is just an office area, so no, there is nothing in the back, you cunts. I worked at La Senza Express last year and that'd be the most popular question. Boo fucking hoo, we don't have your size anymore. Yes, I'm positive because I reorganized the fucking stock room yesterday. No, we did not get new stock today, and YES, I'm sure. And for the last time, NO YOU DON'T GET A DISCOUNT.

It'd also piss me off when a customer wanted us to call the big La Senza on the lower level of the mall for a product when it was really busy. Just go yourself, shitfuck. You could use the exercise.

Man...everyone in here is so angry O.O

I used to work at Laura and Randy River, and oddly enough, we'd always have stuff in the back, so often, customers lucked out...

The only thing that probably bothered me about working retail, was having to see really fat people try on clothes that obviously don't fit them :S and then have them say to you "Wow! I look great in this!"...

Honestly, if it paid A LOT better, I'd love to work Women's clothing retail again. People come in, and for a short while, you get to play personal shopper/stylist. It was pretty fun.

Working at a natural Pet Foods store is pretty fun too, because you get to play with people's dogs and it's nice to see animal lovers who are generally concerned about feeding their pets good food.

You...you guys are going to kick me out of this thread, aren't you?

Shane - when a guy awkwardly comes up with a pack of condoms, just to mess with him, if I'm working on express i tell him, "sorry man, this is 10 or less, and you have 20" *shrug*

Tracy - I loved Randy River when I was in high school. they had some pretty cool stuff there.

Operative word there being "had". I hope to God you don't shop there anymore.

I have to admit though, for the short time they had girls' clothes, their stuff was cute.

But the guys' clothes can go to hell now, srsly.

Shane - when a guy awkwardly comes up with a pack of condoms, just to mess with him, if I'm working on express i tell him, "sorry man, this is 10 or less, and you have 20" *shrug*

Tracy - I loved Randy River when I was in high school. they had some pretty cool stuff there.

Ahahahahahah that's awesome.

I remember a kid about 15 years old coming through my till with baby oil and a Maxim magazine.

"So, doing anything exciting tonight?"