It's a fantastic show and the first season comes out on DVD at the end of the month. The premise is that Dexter (the main character) is a serial killer, but he was raised by a cop who realized it, and taught him how to cope with it. He still gets the urge to kill, but he tries to only kill assholes and other criminals, all the while struggaling to not get caught (he works in Forensics for the police department) and look as human as possible (by trying to have a relationship, etc.)

The premise is that Dexter (the main character) is a serial killer, but he was raised by a cop who realized it, and taught him how to cope with it. He still gets the urge to kill, but he tries to only kill assholes and other criminals, all the while struggaling to not get caught (he works in Forensics for the police department) and look as human as possible (by trying to have a relationship, etc.)

i always thought that premise would make an incredible book.

i always thought that premise would make an incredible book.

Actually, the show is based on a book series. Season one was bsed on the first book, season two on the second (though I've heard they are going to deviate quite a bit) etc.

I really wanted to like this show, but it sucking so much made that hard to do.

Inner-monologues just don't do it for me anymore.

Plus, all the background characters are so sterotypical and just plain annoying.

I have to admit there were a few episodes towards the end of season one that made me kinda regret never watching the show again...but then I watched the first couple eps of season two, and then I felt better about ditching it.

I'm going to kick-start this sucker, if only for a little while.

Currently catching up on season 4 and realizing how much I missed this show. The third season almost turned me off it for the first 3-4 episodes but then it all fell into place. But what's bugging me is at the end of the 7th episode in the 4th season, I could swear it's Explosions in the Sky playing, but I can't find anything to back it up. Does anyone know?

So yeah, I finally got around to watch this and it's great. Season 3 was kinda painful indeed but season 4 was great. I never liked John Lithgow but he was really good and of course MCH is an amazing actor. Looking forward to the new season ;)

When he went to the funeral home, I was really hoping Peter Krause (His brother Nate from Six Feet Under) was going to be there.

anyway, the episode was alright, I wasn't expecting any huge bombshells because this episode had to focus on Rita's death. One thing I wonder though, what did he do with the guy he killed in the bathroom?

Episode 2 of the new season was good, but I have one problem. Dexter CAN'T let this play out like he has in past seasons. Let's face it, last time he tried to understand a killer, Rita ended up dead. I can't imagine him taking his time because he'd be afraid of someone else he cares about getting hurt.