sodamntired

Let's Say You're Reading A Book

do you finish it?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. do you finish it?

• yes
    • no

have you ever been reading a book, and about halfway through you begin to realize it's not that great of a book.

do you finish the read because you've already put time into it, or do you just close the book and put it on your bookshelf, planning not to finish it?

I have read books and stopped halfway through. The reason for this is either a) I lose interest in the story, or b) I lose track of what is going on (usually because of multiple plot lines or facets to the story - I have bad short-term memory).

Edited by Polyurethane

I tend to be picky about what I read, and generally just stick with works of a handful of authors that I know won't let me down (Peter David, Greg Rucka, Neil Gaiman...), but other wise I can tell if I'm not gonna like a book within the first few chapters, and therefore don't feel obligated or even curious to finish reading the book.

i did that with don quixote. got a third of the way in, was bored silly, and never finished it. i've given a few books a second try after quiting them part way in (catch 22, cardinal of the kremlin, frankenstein), and enjoyed them the second time around, but i've never tried that one again.

I feel that way about Peter David as well...I'm trying to remember why Greg Rucka sounds so familiar...what has he written.

Greg Rucka mainly writes novels in a series about a bodyguard named Atticus Kodiak, but he also does comics; for instance, Queen and Counrty, which he's written both comics and novels for. He's probably most famous for writing various Batman comics and Whiteout, which is being adpated for film sometime in 2008.