I didn't have high expectations. My friend downloaded it so I thought, "yeah, what the hell...send it to me." My goodness. It is honestly their worst album to date. I actually have strong hatred towards Maladroit especially and even that album is significantly better than this.

The album has its share of forgettable ballads as seen from Make Believe but it also have really awful "fun" songs like 'Everybody Get Dangerous' where he free-styles and rhymes in the song with cliched play-on words and hooks. I thought about this and then after talking to my brother, we agree that this sounds like a really bad Everclear album. You'd think Pork & Beans was a sign that they're trying mediocrity and poorly attempting to go back to their roots of Blue and Pinkerton but no, it turned out worse than one could imagine. Hell, Pork & Beans is one of the better tracks on the cd.

There's one track, 'The Greatest Man Ever Lived' is I admit, an ambitious song and is a standout (not necessarily in a good way) as they come off trying to pull their version of Jesus of Suburbia or something (5 random songs thrown into one track). The song opened with a moog synth so I thought: "oooh this has potential" but eh...the song itself was way too pretentious.

In all, the album is really bad and there's no way the critics will like this album--but again, I said the same thing about the latest REM release.

Actually, given the complete shitting of the bed that was Make Believe, pretty much anything would be better, and this album does that. "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" grows more awesome with each listen, and I honestly like it without guilt.

Otherwise, the lyrics aren't strong, but the music is pretty good, and the whole theme of the album seems to be weezer saying "we don't give a shit" and it works. Geek rock? Totally. And they LOVE it.

And I hate hate hate Maladroit and Make Believe, so just imagine a worthy successor to the Green album (it will keep your expectations low) and you will be pleezed.

I thought this album would rock out like the other colored albums, but I have heard about 4 tracks, and I was disappointed, the songs just seem thrown together, and for a lead single I have a hard time getting into Pork and Beans. I will just stick with the blue, pinkerton, and green albums, since those are the only Weezer cds worth having.

Edited by Audio of Being

It's a total mixed bag for me...some of the songs are great but some are the worst thing ever...

standout tracks:

greatest man that ever lived

dreamin

the angel and the one

miss sweeny (deluxe version)

pig (deluxe version)

shit:

everybody get dangerous

cold dark world

and the rest are pretty mediocre...

I keep thinking there's something that everyone else knows about that I'm just not getting. Because I don't find any of it funny? Or good for that matter but to each his/her own.

Edit: For the record I've only heard "Pork and Beans" and "The Greatest Man Ever Lived." Really couldn't care about the rest.

Edited by soundless_space

I like Weezer a lot, I will need to listen and offer my expert opinion, immediately. I think Rivers has a knack for whipping out some amazing lyrics and music, I've never been disappointed...though nothing is as good as the first disc.

That's kind of pointless then.

I haven't really enjoyed a Weezer album since Pinkerton. Green had a few good hits, but after Maladroit's 1 good song, and hearing the crap that was Beverly Hills, I haven't really bothered even listening.

I used to love them a lot, still love a lot of the old songs, but I think they've lost it.

Guest jjazz

This album is complete shit, although it`s growing on me with every listen. (Yes, I can`t believe I decided to throw it on a couple more times.)

It's got it's highs, but the rest is very boring, embarrassing filler. I know Rivers swallowed his pride on this one and let the whole band come together to create something very different, but it just didn't work out. The production is great, the songs are performed well, but they are just plain garbage, in my opinion.

It's albums like this that actually make me wish they put out another green, maladroit, or even make believe. It seems like everything just goes downhill for Weezer, quality wise, with the exception of Pinkerton, which is my favourite.

I think what the problem is, is that we keep wishing that Rivers would pull out another gem like Blue, or Pinkerton, but we fail to see that those two albums were complete luck that they came out as great as they did. Rivers had the better part of his life to write the first two albums, and I think he just ran out of things to sing about that were of any real value.

I love Weezer to death, I'll defend even this album to anybody, but my faith in them is really starting to fade.

I'm honestly surprised at the brazen hatred towards this album. I mean, I'm usual the first on the fuck [whatever makes alot of money] bandwagon, but I adore this album. It's the first Weezer album that I've loved since Pinkerton. The Angel and the One is a fantastic song to listen to while stoned and it's still fucking great sober. I'd say it's my favourite Weezer song.

The album is just fun with a dash of weird tossed in for good measure.

Nothing will ever top Pinkerton for me.

i have

blue

pinkerton

green

and i just think of anything after as something similiar to posthumous tupac

i think rivers would have made the strongest statement by going back to harvard and dropping weezer, seeing the weezer years as his "wild youth" and moving on to be the bank manager in buttfucknowhere nebraska, that he was born to be.