Who

What's With Encores?

Yeah I agree, it's at least partly to have a little break - it must be tiring after so long playing. There's a Smiths DVD where they're followed into their dressing room during the encore, and they were just having a fag and chilling from what I remember. Oh and putting on another shirt, in Morrissey's case lol.

Yeah I agree, it's at least partly to have a little break - it must be tiring after so long playing. There's a Smiths DVD where they're followed into their dressing room during the encore, and they were just having a fag and chilling from what I remember. Oh and putting on another shirt, in Morrissey's case lol.

Ever since I was little I have hated the word 'fag' for cigarettes.

[Dante and Randal are working in Ye Olde Quick Stoppe in England.]

Customer: Pack of fags.

Randal: You're a fag!

Customer: It's a cigarette, mate.

Randal: I'm not your mate, fag!

[Randal jumps over counter and tackles the customer.]

Dante: It wasn't until years later that we found out what "fag" really means. Right, mate?

Dante: N-no, it's a cigarette!

Randal: You're a cigarette!

when you hear someone say "encore, encore!" what does that mean to you? the word has been in popular use since the 1700s, where it had the same definition and use as it does today: what an audience would yell or chant in order to bring a performer back on-stage, although it wasn't necessarily a complimentary term, some would "encore" a terrible performance for their own enjoyment.

nowadays encores are technically a sign of gratitude from the band to the audience, but i agree they're a bit silly since they've become so commonplace and don't really mean what they used to.

a perfect circle stopped doing encores during their last tour, but were nice enough to explain why beforehand. it showed that there was a bit of thought and organization that went into the development of their set. i thought it was fine, and it was nice to see people break from a needless tradition.

But why not just say "alright we're taking a break we'll be back in 2 minutes" or something (like they do at plays or comedian shows...)

Well they do sometimes.

Ever since I was little I have hated the word 'fag' for cigarettes.

I've always hated it as an insult, just seems ridiculous. How come you heard it when you were young ?

nowadays encores are technically a sign of gratitude from the band to the audience, but i agree they're a bit silly since they've become so commonplace and don't really mean what they used to.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I dunno, aside from A Perfect Circle (apparently), I don't think anyone's really that arsed in breaking a tradition that's gone on for centuries. I wish they would like.

[Dante and Randal are working in Ye Olde Quick Stoppe in England.]

Customer: Pack of fags.

Customer: It's a cigarette, mate.

Randal: I'm not your mate, fag!

[Randal jumps over counter and tackles the customer.]

Dante: It wasn't until years later that we found out what "fag" really means. Right, mate?

Dante: N-no, it's a cigarette!

Randal: You're a cigarette!

that was on the series wasn't it? or was it the tales from the clerks comic? I can't remember.