I just won a $100 iTunes gift certificate from the Fox and was wondering if anyone would mind suggesting some wicked awesome bands for me to check out. Obviously the only restriction is that the songs have to be on iTunes to begin with (Canadian store). I'd like to say that my taste in music is fairly broad, so any suggestions at all are totally welcome. Thanks.

grand theft bus is a pretty awesome band from the east coast.

olivier jarda is actually a friend of mine who's doing quite well with his music and goes to oxford in england so he tours in both canada and overseas.

i believe clothes make the man are from ontario. i've never seen them live, but a few friends of mine are long time fans and i think their stuff is really catchy.

Also, if you're by any chance a bloc party fan, their new album intimacy is great.

Edited by hum-an-ole

what he said.

edit: plus, if you like vocals with your music, see if fair to midland-fables from a mayfly is on there. killer album.

A buddy of mine has quite a bit of explosions in the sky, and I have definitely enjoyed what I have heard. I dont really care either way about lyrics, so long as its fitting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Are 'Yes' on Itunes? You should download Close to the Edge by Yes. ;)

I dont really know what is available, but what i do know is how crappy the canadian store is for accessing anything decent that ist canadian. Therre have been a handful of occasions where I've wanted to download something, am not able to find it, realize that it is on iTunes, just not in the store in which I have a credit card, end up downloading for free. Pretty sad, because I would totally pay for their stuff, If I could find it online here, or afford to buy it internationally with stupid shipping costs

If you can find stuff by Hum I would do that.

i agree, only if it's downward is heavenward or you'd prefer an astronaut, as their albums before those two completely blow. then i'd be surprised if any of them are on itunes.

one more suggestion: all three joe strummer and the mescaleros albums. but if you only choose one, go with streetcore.

Edited by Some Random

Shoot High Aim Low - Yes

Dirty Frank - Pearl Jam

Feelin - Van Halen

Indifference - Pearl Jam

Denial - Sevendust

Pitiful - Blindside

Bright Yellow Gun - Throwing Muses

I'm a big pearl Jam nerd, I have everything they've recorded, plus some wicked bootlegs. Indifference is one of my favorites by them. Dirty Frank is a funny B-side.... have you heard "whale song"? It's another great B-side.

I've spent about half of the gift card thus far:

The Smiths - the sound of the smiths

The Dears - iTunes Essentials

Dream Theater - Live with the Octavarium Orchestra (20th anniversary world tour)

Explosions in the sky - select tracks from their last two albums (either $5 for their whole album minus a song, or $10 for the album....)

looking into "Yes" and "Hum". Both of which are available on the canadian store. Also debating some Miles Davis, pre-ordering the new Franz Ferdinand, the new Animal Collective, and Kings of Leon

Buy some Stabilo.

really?

Get some Hey Rosetta! if you can. A friend got me interested in them after seeing their performance at the Harvest Jazz and Blues Fest here in Fredericton this past fall. Very interesting band ;)

yeah they're kinda good. i find it weird how so many people are recommending "post-rock" bands.

That album is on iTunes, and from the clips it sounds wicked. This will likely be one of my next purchases

you will not be disappointed. the only sorta weak track on that album is the last song. if they'd redone the last song (quince) from their previous, self done album, like they did with a lot of other tracks, it'd be damn near perfect. wish they'd get their asses back in the studio.

when i saw them earlier this month they played 3 new songs. they were fucking great, too. so while they are not recording yet - they are most certainly in writing mode, which is good news right? god, i wish you could see them live, chris. seriously unlike any band i have ever seen.

Definitely go with the Miles Davis. Shit, I'll give you some if you want.

His catalogue is so extensive that it's hard to figure out where to start... any album - or even era (1970's, etc) - of his that is a good starting place?

I was thinking of just starting with the iTunes essentials

Downloaded and am thoroughly enjoying Fair to Midland

have about $30 left. Anyone heard the new animal collective yet? How does it compare to their last album?

His catalogue is so extensive that it's hard to figure out where to start... any album - or even era (1970's, etc) - of his that is a good starting place?

I was thinking of just starting with the iTunes essentials

Downloaded and am thoroughly enjoying Fair to Midland

have about $30 left. Anyone heard the new animal collective yet? How does it compare to their last album?

for miles davis, i'd suggest starting with kind of blue. probably his most famous album,and one of the most famous albums of all time period. musings of miles is probably my fav, though. i don't listen to much jazz, but i like miles davis. before he got all weird. glad you liked fair to midland. i pimp them on anyone who'll listen.