Hyphnip

The Top 50 Text Acronyms Parents Need To Know

See, I'm not sure there's much consistency with our censorship. I think it's just left down to the editor's discretion, so the amount of bleeping is dependent on the programme. That link I posted is a prime example - bleepings of "fucking", yet you can see Jonathan Woss say that on his popular chat show occasionally - without it being bleeped. But as a rule if it's 9PM or later they're allowed to get away with pretty much unrestricted language. Charlie Brooker's bleeping is apparently done voluntarily according to one of his 'tweets'.

in canada, we don't have specific laws to deal with censorship issues, instead we have various control boards made by various mother television groups to ensure they aren't offending viewers away. what you get of course is different groups with different target audiences and different motives.. in otherwords, inconsistency. but whatever, you know what you're in for if you're watching the comedy network at 1am vs. the morning news.

To be honest I've never really thought about it until now. It's inspired me to do a Google where I stumbled across this - a poll regarding each swear word's severity. Notice cock isn't even mentioned, although the BBC list cocksucker as "extremely offensive" :

rudeness.JPG

As if "********" was #11 in 1998, when "bollocks" was #6 ?!? Mental.