Thoughts?

Me: Not an really apple guy, not because i don't like them, just because i've never really been exposed much to their tech. I've never even own a portable MP3 player in my life. So i can look at this thing sorta with a new user view who has no iPod touch full of apps etc. i could transfer over etc. or am in love with touch screens.

IMO thing is not a mass-market machine. if any other company in the world had its logo on it, it would sell so-so if at all. People will buy it, but purely b/c its Apple and The machine itself is ok, but its insanely overpriced when you compare it to a laptop of netbook. I can see this catching on for people who want to read digital books, and people crazy for Apple apps. Would be nice to have something like this to easily throw in the backpack for school or something.

It has potential, if only it had a bit more storage and features. No webcam, but im sure it will come. Can't multi-task (a joke), can't display everything on the internet (i hear it dont run Flash) and the major thing for me is the storage: $500 U.S. for a 16 GB iPad. Dumbest thing ever. fairly cheap netbooks have 160 GB storage. Another thing for me is the general fundamental design....you have to hold it. Fuck that. Laptops you just rest on any surface and use it. I don't want to hold it when i'm reading something, though i suppose it wouldn't be so bad if you are at a desk, or laying on your bed/couch and lean it on your leg. It also sucks balls u can't get new apps etc. that aren't approved by Apple, how Nazi Microsoft.

It has really good potential. A PC you can just whip out presto, no folding out the keyboard. I heard the keyboard ain't the best on it though, but they can always fix that. But it would need more processing speed and more storage at a cheaper price of me to consider it.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

I suppose I'll be that guy:

Despite being a bit underwhelmed by the thing, I'm hoping it takes off in a big way. There hasn't been a major UI revolution in the computer market in decades really; the recent move to embrace multi-touch is nice, but not big enough to make waves. Functional as a mouse and keyboard are, I'm going to cheer for any company with the muscle to try and get rid of them.

Weird as it might sound, I see this as being similar to Nintendo's introducing the DS years back. It's a weird fucking product that's still pretty familiar at the core, but if developers really embrace it things could get wild.

I try to come up with an excuse to buy this thing, and I can't. no justification. and I love apple products.

I got a kindle from a friend for Christmas and I haven't used it yet, so the book thing means nothing to me. plus I feel that the kindle would have it beat in that department solely on the color of the screen and the (lack of) brightness and contrast.

I try to come up with an excuse to buy this thing, and I can't. no justification. and I love apple products.

I got a kindle from a friend for Christmas and I haven't used it yet, so the book thing means nothing to me. plus I feel that the kindle would have it beat in that department solely on the color of the screen and the (lack of) brightness and contrast.

I got a Kindle as a gift a while back as well (far enough that it's the original version) and it took me forever to get warmed up to it. I like to take notes when I'm reading something I'm into, and nothings as handy as the actual book for that. The Kindle found it's role for reading mindless pulp though. Works incredible for newspapers too.

As far as actual current iPad appeal, I'd love something I can use to watch movies and web browse with, and plug in if I need to get my typing on. I know Jobs claims not to be in competition with the netbook or some such, but it really is aiming for the exact same market in a radically different style. For some reason every netbook I've tried has just frustrated the hell out of me, but this thing has appeal.

This thing is still just a giant iPhone. And how is this like a DS? DS' are actually built to play games, you can't even run a browser and text editor on this thing at the same time and it's supposed to be built for that sort of thing.

Radically different style = remove functions common to every computer out there now (including their own Macbooks).

And the DS is just a couple of gameboys strapped together with a touch screen. It's like the DS in that while it's awkward, ungainly, and severely lacking in several technical aspects, a few unique features might be enough to make it a winner. Or it could fail miserably as any number of other Apple's products have. Nintendo was a bit more risky with their move

I don't get why the Ipad has the 1-inch back strip around the entire screen. It makes the thing so much bigger than the actual screen and decreases the portability. Why am I not surprised to hear that they are totally sold out of these things? Even though most people say they don