practicesanteria

Matthew Good taught me everything I know

I know what you mean. In the lead-up to the Iraq war (which I initially supported), I began to wonder if maybe not all we were hearing was true. It seemed strange that with all the intelligence reports the Americans had, the UN weapons inspectors didn't find anything. I then read a few blogs, and then I was like, "damn, I can't believe I support this." I tried reading a few right-wing blogs, but found that they were essentially hate-filled bile, and thus began my drift towards the left. (And, boy do I love it!)

I can think of a couple of facts he's stated that if I recall correctly, were unsubstantiated. Namely: that before the 1991 Gulf War Iraq had the highest rate per capita of people with PhD's.

In the same entry he also said something about fastest growing economy. I'm not saying that it's lies, just I'm not sure if he bothered posting any sources on that.

In response, Iraq's economy was, before the Gulf War, growing at an exponential rate and this is WELL documented. As for the highest capita amount of PhD's per person...sorry, it's true. Again, documented well enough if you look in the right places. Maybe try the Institute of Policy studies in Washington DC. A dozen years of sanctions by the U.S. and the UK crippled all of that resulting in over 2 million deaths along the way. Saddam was definitely exploiting his people no doubt, but the facts stand. The U.S. knew the sanctions would hurt but half a million Iraqi kids dying due to the sanctions was "worth it" (according to Albright anyways...)

So yeah, an opinion isn't fact...but in this case, the facts are there so the opinion is right...

i had already similar ideas before "meeting" Matthew Good but i was SO glad to find someone with such similar ideas (about terrorism, about social issues, about unjustice behaviors, about international policy, about freedom, about the weakests...) as mine...

Edited by juanpe

as one sided as it may be, its forces you to think about issues you may not normally think of because you all anticipate his next entry and check back 10 times a day to see if he's updated it, waiting to see what he has to say next hoping its somethign where he explodes and causes a stir.

but i reckon hes good and he's taught alot of people alot of good.

I agree with everyone that Matt Good definatly influenced my way of thinking in a lot of ways. In the past I was one of those people that thought that politics (especially in Canada) were boring and didn't have anything to do with me. Although I certainly didn't live in a "bubble" like alot of people my age do, I just thought that doing something such as oh say, voting wouldn't do any good because alot of the issues that are always being discussed didn't have anything to do with me. I've always cared about things such as human rights though, and it took me awhile to realize that alot of political things are interconnected. Anyway, this past election was the first time I ever voted and I must say I was strongly influenced to do so by Matt as a person, as well as his music. Its just like in 'Lullaby For a New World Order':

Somebody gave you a choice

And all you do is abuse it

If god gave you a voice

Then use it

Now when I think about people who just throw their voices away because issues "don't have anything to do with them" and because they aren't directly affected by them it just scares me. I'm sure all the Canadians on here will agree that young people in our country take our freedom for granted so badly, its sad really. I wish there were more people like Matt who weren't afraid to speak up and say things that not everyone wants to hear. So, to sum up this very long post I just want to say that whether people agree with what Matt says or not he is a real role model and not people like Britney Spears, but that's another topic entirely.

While I really respect Matt for all his work, I think that we should all take some time to educate ourselves on issues first so that we just don't follow blindly (no matter how much we agree). Read a newspaper or a 'Time' or Macleans' magazine, watch the news once in a while and don't just rely on celebrities to give us our opinions (even though I'd love to go see Rock Against Bush).